Home & Garden

New Furnace / Central Air Conditioner Time??

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:33 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Please let us know your findings. Did any of the trick helped ?
CorSter wrote: Just had my 22 year old AC unit stop running - the fan at least. Went outside, kicked it, turned it back on, and the fan started up again.

Any idea what would cause that?
newlyborn wrote: 99.9% its the dying capacitor. See post #6 by @sickcars here if you want to learn how to change the capacitor yourself. However, you have to be very very cautious.
sickcars wrote: Another thing you could do is when the AC is powered OFF, use a stick and try to spin the fan, it should spin easily if its hard to spin or has some resistance it may be a bad fan motor.
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
newlyborn wrote: Please let us know your findings. Did any of the trick helped ?
I haven't tried anything yet, but it hasn't had an issue since I got it going again a few days ago.

Going away tomorrow for a few days, so shutting it off while i'm gone and I'll try to actually troubleshoot when I get back.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
No worries. I just want you to be very cautious as AC runs on 220 V. Its prudent to turn off the breakers before you do anything. Also, remember that capacitor holds charge by itself.
CorSter wrote: I haven't tried anything yet, but it hasn't had an issue since I got it going again a few days ago.

Going away tomorrow for a few days, so shutting it off while i'm gone and I'll try to actually troubleshoot when I get back.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
Just wanted to also mention to the RFD group that if you want another quotation for HVAC, besides the perennial favourites here of Four Season or Newlyborn who I'm sure are excellent, I had a good experience with Home Savings Heating and Cooling, who I booked direct, but you can also book them through Home Depot Installations. They gave me 10 years parts and labour. I originally got their name from an old post of RFD as well.

Home Savings
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1224 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BTW, not that I need service right now but who is servicing Trane/Am standard in Markham/Richmond Hill area?
Just want to have contact in case.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
Possum77 wrote: BTW, not that I need service right now but who is servicing Trane/Am standard in Markham/Richmond Hill area?
Most if not all contractors can service all brands. Only if you have a particularly high end unit (like a modulating furnace) which many are not trained to service is it a good idea to use a company that's a dealer for the same brand.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
As already mentioned many contractors will service pretty much all brands, in this specific thread if you look at majority of the pages you will find that the Service & Installs done by @newlyborn from fair deal heating and air conditioning which services Toronto, the GTA & surrounding & he is highly recommended for his skill and honesty.

Possum77 wrote: BTW, not that I need service right now but who is servicing Trane/Am standard in Markham/Richmond Hill area?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
You can call any certified / trained professional.
Any reason you are looking for specifically Ame Std dealer ? No matter who you hire, just make sure that you get your money's worth service.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Enjoy your one of the best in class tankless Rinnai RU199i. Just don't forget to flush it once every 2-3 years if the water is hard.
jadoocian wrote: Contacted user Newlyborn on Wednesday regarding needing a replacement, tankless hot water tank.

48 hours later, I had a new and working tank fully installed and ready to go! Most importantly, I could take hot showers again! All done at a very fair price. 100% recommended.

Thank you!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Happy to help. It's great when the benefits are mutual. I provide custom solutions to every need based upon requirements and budget.
Respect to property is one of the top priorities.
ClarkMan wrote: Quick feedback regarding my installation. I got a furnace installed earlier this week. It was a very smooth process.
Got heads-up from Ash that crew is on the way -> Crew arrived on time -> Crew made sure to protect my hardwood floor by laying some floor mats -> Took out the old furnace and installed new -> No mess left behind -> Job well done.

Thanks @newlyborn once again!!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Now that almost the season is over, I am very hopeful that you were happy with the performance, quietness and efficiency of the AC. I must say that you have quite an impressive collection of tools.
CDN1Dokkan wrote: Another happy customer of Fair Deal & Air Conditioning. From the start to finish, dealing with Ash was a breeze. Ash previously repaired my furnace late last year. Couple weeks ago, I came to realize the AC compressor was dead. Ash was prompt to diagnose and put in the order for a replacement (both the condenser and a matching evaporator coil unit). He actually went out of his way to accommodate an earlier date to have the unit installed as it was hitting 30+. He is definitely committed to customers. Talk about installation, his team is absolutely amazing. They pay attention to the smallest detail. I am super satisfied with the work and I consider myself a picky handyman. Glad I found Fair Deal & Air Conditioning through RFD. Forever thankful!
Apr 30, 2019
489 posts
538 upvotes
I'm another one of Ash's satisfied customers. My AC stopped working and Ash diagnosed the issue as being the fan motor. Unfortunately the motor was a specific type that was not available in Canada. Ash sourced the motor from the States with the expectation that it may take as long as a month to get here. I don't know what magic he worked but the motor came in ten days just before this past weekend's heat wave in the GTA. Kudos to Ash for great customer service and helping my family have a comfortable weekend.

If you need any HVAC services, don't hesitate in contacting Ash at Fair Deal Heating and Air Conditioning.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
I am glad to help . Thank you for asking my opinion and sticking with motor replacement rather than AC replacement. As long as AC has mechanical issues, it can be fixed.
ironman77 wrote: I'm another one of Ash's satisfied customers. My AC stopped working and Ash diagnosed the issue as being the fan motor. Unfortunately the motor was a specific type that was not available in Canada. Ash sourced the motor from the States with the expectation that it may take as long as a month to get here. I don't know what magic he worked but the motor came in ten days just before this past weekend's heat wave in the GTA. Kudos to Ash for great customer service and helping my family have a comfortable weekend.

If you need any HVAC services, don't hesitate in contacting Ash at Fair Deal Heating and Air Conditioning.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Glad to help and provide my honest opinion. I always try to present all available options to the customers and have them decide the best action depending upon budget and needs.
At the end of the day brand plays a role but following proper procedures during installation is more important.
addicted2it wrote: Just wanted to give a huge shoutout to ash @newlyborn .....a family members old furnace started to make weird noises and they couldn't afford any downtime due to a old parent living at home. We called Ash and he was there the same day within a couple of hours. He did a thorough check of the furnace and gave us various options. There was absolutely no pressure, no sales tactics - just straight up honest advise.

We decided to get a new furnace and a new AC (was end of life as well) from Ash and the turnaround time was less than 24 hours! Just unbelievable. His prices were a few hundred dollars lower than anyone we called. Once everything was installed he called to make sure it was to our satisfaction. His crew was very professional - clean installation.

Highly recommend him - just an honest, straight up professional and a great guy to do business with.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2363 posts
342 upvotes
Calgary
Hey guys
I have been using the AC a lot this year due to the hot weather and j just noticed the discharge from the drain connected to the furnace appears to be "rusty" color.
Anything I should be looking out for?
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
It is absolutely normal, however you have to keep an eye that condensate drain does not get clogged and start overflowing. If it is not too much work for you than replace the hose before it gets to the point where it stops draining. Once this pipe stope draining, condensation will overflow from the tray of A coil inside the furnace. If you are uncomfortable doing it, feel free to message me and I can walk you through.
renhui wrote: Hey guys
I have been using the AC a lot this year due to the hot weather and j just noticed the discharge from the drain connected to the furnace appears to be "rusty" color.
Anything I should be looking out for?
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
@renhui your stated issue is one of the reasons I prefer transparent hoses over hard pipes which have no visibility and very difficult to clean / change when needed. However, we use plastic hard tubing in installation if that is what customer prefers.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Thanks @newlyborn for the great deal and service on a new AC.

I spoke to Ash and he was excellent to deal with. Listened to what I needed and I could tell all the way through that customer satisfaction was his #1 priority which is truly a lost art these days. He recommended a suitable product at a good price and delivered as promised. Would definitely recommend him.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2363 posts
342 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
My ACs do have the transparent hoses just have-not checked them in a while myself hahah.
There is so much useful info in this thread and I think every home owner should go through them.
I wish I had paid more attention or asked when I replaced the capacitor of one of the AC units just to find out the motor is gone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)