Trane XR13 2 Tonne single stage...............$3,895
Humidifier.......................................................$475
Condensate Pump.........................................$150
Humidistat
Thermostat WFI
$9414.00
TAX 13%....................................................$10,637.82
This quote is from their salesman who has been selling for 4 months
he measured all the rooms and did a heat loss calculation to come up with the sizes
But... this comes with a 15 year full system coverage parts/labour warranty, 2 year transferable
any part replaced will have the full warranty
lifetime annual maintenance on all parts installed
lifetime yearly 5" filter
I think this warranty costs around $3000 priced into the product

Quote #2
This is a 2 man operation the guy giving the quote is the guy installing
Goodman GMEC96
Goodman GSX13
2 Stage Goodman Thermostat/Humidistsat
xtra wire to thermostat
Humidifier
Condensate Pump
10 year parts and labour on furnace
2 year parts and labour A/C
He looked around said A/C was undersized, Rheem 1.5 10 seer, furnace oversized, Rheem 85K BTU) 24 both are 24 years old
said we needed some sheet metal work R/A drop?? canvas connector
he just gave us an all in price
$6981.70 but would get a $750 rebate
$6231.70
around $3600 difference, without rebate
we are retired, 65 and plan to live here for another 10 years
there is no down payment,prices are guaranteed for next spring,after signing contract
with out asking both places said we could pay with a credit card,we have Visa cash back
there was no cash discount
constructive criticism greatly appreciated
or random thoughts
Thanks
14 replies
[OP]
Oct 25, 2006
5 posts
1 upvote
thanks for your thoughts
in London and install of Trane seems high, $2K over install of same furnace A/C American Standard
but the overall warranty on the Trane seems to make up for the over priced Trane product and install
the Goodman installer didn't like the GMVE, said it was too complicated and more to go wrong
fortunately we are not in a rush but if we do sign now the price will hold till the spring
maybe rebates will increase
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2499 posts
924 upvotes
Woodbridge
Can you please find out what exactly more is built in GMVC than GMEC that can go wrong and share with us ?
I am little reluctant to pay 2K just for the sake of warranties and especially for a solid brands since its almost 50% of the new furnace price.
brent1085 wrote: thanks for your thoughts
in London and install of Trane seems high, $2K over install of same furnace A/C American Standard
but the overall warranty on the Trane seems to make up for the over priced Trane product and install
the Goodman installer didn't like the GMVE, said it was too complicated and more to go wrong
fortunately we are not in a rush but if we do sign now the price will hold till the spring
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Nov 2, 2015
180 posts
138 upvotes
Oakville
No offense but it seems like the installer is trying to make your decision for you by giving you one product you might not want to invest the money in and something that seems more like a good bang for your buck. The GMVC is MAYBE a couple hundred dollars more to buy than the GMEC and there is nothing more complicated that could go wrong with it. In fact having a variable speed blower typically has less wear and tear on the motor. If you opt for Goodman replacement and don't get the GMVC you're making a silly mistake based on an installer that wants to make an extra hundred bucks or get rid of inventory.
Oct 19, 2009
226 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be interested to know the difference between the Goodman GMEC and GMVC?

I'm learning about ComfortBridge. It seems logical to put the communication system within the furnace and let me use any thermostat to control the furnace and my aircon. However, when I read the comments on the Google Play Store for the official CoolCloud HVAC app, installers and customers are having lots of difficulty and are opposed to granting the wide range of permissions that the app insists on getting. I would expect communications to be over WiFi and not Bluetooth. Am I wrong in thinking ComfortBridge is exclusively a BT technology? Does Ecobee work on WiFi or BT?
Jun 23, 2019
344 posts
186 upvotes
Comfort bridge for the most part means that staging is controlled by the logic on the furnace control panel. There is no fixed time or temp to adjust the staging, it is done using an algorithm that cannot be altered. The choice of thermostat makes no difference, they cannot communicate with the furnace unless they are the Goodman ComfortBridge thermostat. An Ecobee would be connected using only 5 wires since the furnace doesn't have a W2 terminal for second stage control.

As for Bluetooth, it is only used with the CoolCloud App for the initial setup of the furnace, there is a 3 digit PIN that is entered to pair the phone/app to the furnace. The settings are mostly for heat on/off delay, and setting the A/C tonnage. Once again you cannot control the staging, it's all done using the logic on the board. I personally would get the GMEC so I can control the staging with my thermostat and wire up the DEHUM terminal so I can lower the blower speed when I want dehumidification in the summer.

It's always better to have the thermostat control the staging because it knows how far the current temp is from the set temp and can go to 2nd stage initially to reach the set point faster. I have my ecobee set to use 1st stage to maintain temp, and 2nd stage after a set back when there is a big temp difference.
Oct 19, 2009
226 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
vrscdx wrote: Comfort bridge for the most part means that staging is controlled by the logic on the furnace control panel. There is no fixed time or temp to adjust the staging, it is done using an algorithm that cannot be altered. [snip]
Thanks. So I think the more basic GMEC is better for us. We just want to connect a non-proprietary thermistat like an Ecobee for a basic 7-day schedule and adjust current temp from a smart phone.
Jun 23, 2019
344 posts
186 upvotes
mwmsnow wrote: Thanks. So I think the more basic GMEC is better for us. We just want to connect a non-proprietary thermistat like an Ecobee for a basic 7-day schedule and adjust current temp from a smart phone.
Just verify the GMEC has a W2 terminal so you can use the ecobee to control the second stage.
Oct 19, 2009
226 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
I have confirmed the W2 terminal on the GMEC96. It's shown on the wiring diagram. It had to be found with the naked eye as a search for W2 did not turn it up.
gmec96-wiring-w2.png
Jun 23, 2019
344 posts
186 upvotes
mwmsnow wrote: I have confirmed the W2 terminal on the GMEC96. It's shown on the wiring diagram. It had to be found with the naked eye as a search for W2 did not turn it up.

gmec96-wiring-w2.png
Good to hear that it has the W2 terminal. I would get the GMEC with an Ecobee 4 WiFi thermostat, stay away from Nest. Nest doesn't have any options to change furnace settings like staging, cycle times, etc. The Ecobee is very customizable so you can fine tune it to your equipment to get the most efficiency. Also make sure you have 5 or 6 wires at the thermostat so you can wire it up for two stage operation. If you have 5 wires you can still control the Second Stage if you use the PEK that comes with the Ecobee.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
808 upvotes
Waterloo
The Trane Airconditioner is more efficient ( 14.5 Vs 13 SEER rating that should in theory translate to about 10% power savings ). and Trane Furnace has a Stainless steel Primary and Secondary heat exchanger and a Variable speed Fan motor ( like the suggested GMVC ).
mwmsnow wrote: I'd be interested to know the difference between the Goodman GMEC and GMVC?
V - Variable Speed ECM/ComfortBridge
E - Multi-Speed ECM
S - Single Speed

Its not clear if there is indeed a benefit going from the E to V unless youre planning to get exclusively the Goodman Comfortbridge Thermostat. ( In this specific case tho this apears to be the case ) . Altho most people nowadays are using third party thermostats, for them there is no benefit for upgrading to GMVC Series. Im not sure there is any benefit at all of the GMVC series, unless they upgrade to a modulating gas valve( GMVM series ) ( coupled with which the V series would provide a tangible benefit )..

Just to clarify, My Vote is for the Goodman as it is quoted. If you want to get the Variable speed then my Vote is for the Trane.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1094 posts
819 upvotes
Durham Region
Condensate pumps are like $60
The units themselves are 800-1200
It’s amazing how much the hvac guys make
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11159 posts
2918 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I recently got a Goodman GMVC96 intalled in my home over a month ago and I think its great. We opted to buy extra warranty from Goodman so we are covered fro 10 years parts & Labor just in case but these units are basically a AMANA Furnace just rebranded.

I'm using an older Honeywell thermostat that works great and no issues, the furnace takes care of all the different stages which is better IMO since it can sense things we cannot see. I also have that hvac app that connects to the furnace via bluetooth and for a home user the only thing I found useful was I can change the different fan speeds depending on the stage. So for stage 1 I have it set at 85% so we can get decent airflow to the top floor of the home. Stage 2 is set at 94% which it does not go into very often.
0_o
<_<
>_>