Home & Garden

New Furnace / Central Air Conditioner Time??

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:33 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Thank you so much for your trust. Depending upon the age and condition, we do not prefer just to replace AC when repairs are feasible and make more sense overall.
Wanted to clarify that we do not charge for "quotations". Its the diagnostic that is chargeable which I adjust if customer decides to opt for repairs or other solution.
shopper_of_things wrote: Ash doesn't offer free quotes but does charge a $80 diagnostic fee that can be applied to work done if I did go with them in the end.
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Mar 10, 2014
33 posts
9 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Sharing my experience with Ash at Fair Deal & Air Conditioning. I found Ash to be very upfront and direct in giving informed advice with several options to pick from as I decided on a new a/c system for my house.
Ash’s team showed up on the day and time agreed upon and did an excellent job installing the new unit which included a new location. Functionally it worked extremely well over the first few months of use I have experienced so far. I did have a concern about some vibration coming from the unit and Ash was very accommodating to having the crew back out to investigate and resolve my concern. Turned out all was needed was 4 small rubber pads under the unit on the wall mount bracket for the issue to dissipate. I’m now 100% satisfied with the installation and performance of the unit and really appreciate the customer focussed approach at all stages of the process.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Glad to be of help. We at Fair Deal Heating strive for complete customer satisfaction. Please feel free to call me at 416-992-2333 if you need any assistance with any HVAC services. We don't just specialize in AC installations but provide a variety of different services including repairs etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
It was our pleasure. Please share your experience with the new equipment.
clutch31 wrote: Another shout-out to Ash and the Fair Deal team. We bought an older house and had to replace our furnace and water heater. Ash has been professional and very accommodating throughout the process. He definitely doesn't try to upsell you and presents you with multiple options that best fit your house/family. His installation crew is also top-notch, completed the whole job in a shorter time than estimated and explained everything to me in detail. I have already recommended them to my friends who are looking for new HVAC equipment.
Mar 18, 2007
418 posts
13 upvotes
Another positive experience with Ash, Sunday (June 27) was the initial diagnosis/house call, AC was installed on following Wednesday (June 30). Honest, professional, and accommodating. The installation crew was friendly, professional and efficient. Highly recommend.
Jul 16, 2016
2 posts
2 upvotes
First time leaving a review for Ash but, not a first time customer. Originally Ash replaced our furnace. He gave us an excellent unit and price and his installers were professional and tidy. Our latest project was our backyard and we decided last minute to move our A/C unit to the other side of the house. We called Ash and he was able to move it for us in a quick time-frame. His installers did a great job rewiring and setting up the unit. I'm glad I found Ash through RFD and I hope he knows he'll have a customer for life. Thanks Ash.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Thank you for your business and trust. When we see an exigency, we always try our best to accommodate customers even during busiest times.
sdotz23 wrote: Another positive experience with Ash, Sunday (June 27) was the initial diagnosis/house call, AC was installed on following Wednesday (June 30). Honest, professional, and accommodating. The installation crew was friendly, professional and efficient. Highly recommend.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Unfortunately I have not bought a new AC from fair deal heating and air conditioning yet as my unit is still working good & he even told me not to replace it until a major repair is needed on it which says a lot for an HVAC Company in the Toronto & GTA unlike many other HVAC Companies (ie Salesmen) that will quickly sell you a new system with a lower quality A coil & other China made parts but complain about units being building outside of north America Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

Either way just wanted to show the importance of Maintenance in any system new or old. My AC unit is around 35 years old and still running good. Every 1-2 years I open it up and give it a good cleaning so it can run the best it can at least for an older system! Hopefully it will last for a few more years.
Images
  • IMG_8175.jpg
  • IMG_8176.jpg
  • IMG_8177.jpg
  • IMG_8178.jpg
  • IMG_8179.jpg
  • IMG_8180.jpg
  • IMG_8181.jpg
  • IMG_8182.jpg
  • IMG_8183.jpg
  • IMG_8184.JPG
  • IMG_8185.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
I am glad to assist. No job is small or big.
We are extremely pleased when existing customers call us back for any other tasks. It tells me that we met expectations.
NewOne35 wrote: First time leaving a review for Ash but, not a first time customer. Originally Ash replaced our furnace. He gave us an excellent unit and price and his installers were professional and tidy. Our latest project was our backyard and we decided last minute to move our A/C unit to the other side of the house. We called Ash and he was able to move it for us in a quick time-frame. His installers did a great job rewiring and setting up the unit. I'm glad I found Ash through RFD and I hope he knows he'll have a customer for life. Thanks Ash.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Great information provided. It is imperative to take good care of your equipment especially the ones with louvre outside.
sickcars wrote: Unfortunately I have not bought a new AC from fair deal heating and air conditioning yet as my unit is still working good & he even told me not to replace it until a major repair is needed on it which says a lot for an HVAC Company in the Toronto & GTA unlike many other HVAC Companies (ie Salesmen) that will quickly sell you a new system with a lower quality A coil & other China made parts but complain about units being building outside of north America Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

Either way just wanted to show the importance of Maintenance in any system new or old. My AC unit is around 35 years old and still running good. Every 1-2 years I open it up and give it a good cleaning so it can run the best it can at least for an older system! Hopefully it will last for a few more years.
Jun 4, 2017
37 posts
22 upvotes
Just looking for some advice from @newlyborn.

Mom had a contractor come in to do some renovations on the house, and they redid the HVAC system. They installed the Lennox Merit ML296UH070XV36B-55 furnace, a Luxaire TC7B3021SA 17 Seer A/C, a TradeLine Duct Mount Media Air Cleaner F100F 1625 Merv 11, and now, the Giant UG60-40MFPV2-N2U 60 US Gallon Hot Water Heater, and a Honeywell Whole House Bypass Humidifier HE105C1000.

Is this a good setup? I was never asked about any of this, they just installed what they wanted. I would have liked to have been consulted. I don't know what evap coil was installed.

Now for the main question, they installed a Honeywell T4 Programmable thermostat, TH4110U2005, but I see bad reviews everywhere. Not only that, but we cannot see the screen very well even with glasses. The text between the heat/cool/off and the fan on/auto is so small, we cannot make it out. What is a good thermostat for this setup?

Thanks.
Aug 18, 2009
450 posts
218 upvotes
Barrie
Returning to this thread again as I recently had some minor AC issues so while the HVAC tech was here I had him quote me on a new furnace and AC. He quoted the lennox merit ML296 70k btu for 2750 taxes in and the AC is a lennox 13ACXN024 2 ton for 2600 taxes in. I've read on this thread that some people aren't big fans of this lennox unit and I get that. Wondering if I could please get some insight in to sizing. I currently have a 66k BTU mid efficiency carrier builder unit. The lennox only gives me options of 45k BTU or the 70k BTU. I've read the bad stories about going too big and wondering if the 70K BTU would be too large. The HVAC tech seems to think it will be fine, the ducts in my basement are large enough size. I'm also concerned about going too small, this would defeat the purpose of 2 stage if it's having to run top speed all the time. I'm in a detached single family 2 story brick house that is approx 1400 sq ft (not inc finished basement). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
@Tango013 I think details provided are not enough to give you advise on sizing. Currently, you are just comparing the new unit with the old unit size which may or may not be correct Please let me know what is the size of your house, possibly size of ducts, the condition of doors and windows, and when the insulation was done.
New furnaces are very efficient and are also two stage. You have to keep several factors in mind before making the final decision on size. Feel free to call me at 416-992-2333 and we can discuss more details.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
Thank you for asking my advise / opinion. Sorry in advance if my reply does not align with your expectations.

I see absolutely no benefit in doing a post-analysis UNLESS you are expecting any outcome other than regret. I have installed hundreds of ML296V and never had any issues reported. If you do not like the thermostat because its hard to read you may want to consider this thermostat

My reply would have been the same regardless of the make, model, and price you have already paid. I would say enjoy your units. If they were installed correctly, it should last you 12-15 years easily.

neospiked wrote: Just looking for some advice from @newlyborn.

Mom had a contractor come in to do some renovations on the house, and they redid the HVAC system. They installed the Lennox Merit ML296UH070XV36B-55 furnace, a Luxaire TC7B3021SA 17 Seer A/C, a TradeLine Duct Mount Media Air Cleaner F100F 1625 Merv 11, and now, the Giant UG60-40MFPV2-N2U 60 US Gallon Hot Water Heater, and a Honeywell Whole House Bypass Humidifier HE105C1000.

Is this a good setup? I was never asked about any of this, they just installed what they wanted. I would have liked to have been consulted. I don't know what evap coil was installed.

Now for the main question, they installed a Honeywell T4 Programmable thermostat, TH4110U2005, but I see bad reviews everywhere. Not only that, but we cannot see the screen very well even with glasses. The text between the heat/cool/off and the fan on/auto is so small, we cannot make it out. What is a good thermostat for this setup?

Thanks.
Jun 4, 2017
37 posts
22 upvotes
Thanks.
newlyborn wrote: Thank you for asking my advise / opinion. Sorry in advance if my reply does not align with your expectations.

I see absolutely no benefit in doing a post-analysis UNLESS you are expecting any outcome other than regret. I have installed hundreds of ML296V and never had any issues reported. If you do not like the thermostat because its hard to read you may want to consider this thermostat

My reply would have been the same regardless of the make, model, and price you have already paid. I would say enjoy your units. If they were installed correctly, it should last you 12-15 years easily.
Aug 18, 2009
450 posts
218 upvotes
Barrie
newlyborn wrote: @Tango013 I think details provided are not enough to give you advise on sizing. Currently, you are just comparing the new unit with the old unit size which may or may not be correct Please let me know what is the size of your house, possibly size of ducts, the condition of doors and windows, and when the insulation was done.
New furnaces are very efficient and are also two stage. You have to keep several factors in mind before making the final decision on size. Feel free to call me at 416-992-2333 and we can discuss more details.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. My house is approx 20 years old, original furnace and windows throughout. Roughly 1400 Sq ft with a small finished basement that adds about 200 Sq ft to 1600 in total. Insulation would be original I'd guess, I've been here 8 years and have not replaced it. What is the best way to measure the ducts? I can measure the ducts at the furnace but does that mean the rest of the ducting will be the same size? Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5969 posts
2754 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Tango013 wrote: Thanks for taking the time to reply. My house is approx 20 years old, original furnace and windows throughout. Roughly 1400 Sq ft with a small finished basement that adds about 200 Sq ft to 1600 in total. Insulation would be original I'd guess, I've been here 8 years and have not replaced it. What is the best way to measure the ducts? I can measure the ducts at the furnace but does that mean the rest of the ducting will be the same size? Thanks in advance.
I thought I'd mention that at 20 years, your home should have 6" thick walls and be pretty decently insulated. Around R19 in the walls. If you can poke your head in the attic, you could measure the amount of insulation or get a free quote from an insulation company and ask them what's up there. You may qualify for the Greener Home rebates for air sealing and maybe attic insulation. It was around 2001 that insulation levels were bumped up to R35 from R32.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/update- ... #p34529501

How much are your annual heating bills With the mid efficiency furnace?
Aug 18, 2009
450 posts
218 upvotes
Barrie
fergy wrote: I thought I'd mention that at 20 years, your home should have 6" thick walls and be pretty decently insulated. Around R19 in the walls. If you can poke your head in the attic, you could measure the amount of insulation or get a free quote from an insulation company and ask them what's up there. You may qualify for the Greener Home rebates for air sealing and maybe attic insulation. It was around 2001 that insulation levels were bumped up to R35 from R32.

update-5-000-canada-greener-homes-retro ... #p34529501

How much are your annual heating bills With the mid efficiency furnace?
The builder was cheap on these homes so I don't have high hopes. I've had to rip some of the walls up in the basement and it's just the cheap pink stuff. My inspector checked the attic when we bought and I believe said it was all good. I'm equal billing of just under $90/month for the whole year but I'm cheap so I don't usually have the heat above 22C.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Another way to measure the ducts that I saw @newlyborn do before he replaced my furnace (during the quote) take your tape measure and take a grill off the wall and measure the size inside to get an idea. Also photos with the tape measure inside also helps too. We had smaller ducts going up to the top floor in a roughly 1,200sq home 100+ year old home, little to no insulation and Ash recommended going down to a 40k BTU instead of a 60k BTU to avoid tripping the safety as we were with our old 80k but Furnace. Its been 2 years this winter and the furance has been running great, I can even run it for an hour non stop and had no issues.

So them trying to sell you a 70but unit seems a bit high BUT I may be wrong I'm just comparing it to my situation. Might be worth talking to Newlyborn to see if he is willing to service your area.
Tango013 wrote: Thanks for taking the time to reply. My house is approx 20 years old, original furnace and windows throughout. Roughly 1400 Sq ft with a small finished basement that adds about 200 Sq ft to 1600 in total. Insulation would be original I'd guess, I've been here 8 years and have not replaced it. What is the best way to measure the ducts? I can measure the ducts at the furnace but does that mean the rest of the ducting will be the same size? Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1047 posts
677 upvotes
GTA
Tango013 wrote: Returning to this thread again as I recently had some minor AC issues so while the HVAC tech was here I had him quote me on a new furnace and AC. He quoted the lennox merit ML296 70k btu for 2750 taxes in and the AC is a lennox 13ACXN024 2 ton for 2600 taxes in. I've read on this thread that some people aren't big fans of this lennox unit and I get that. Wondering if I could please get some insight in to sizing. I currently have a 66k BTU mid efficiency carrier builder unit. The lennox only gives me options of 45k BTU or the 70k BTU. I've read the bad stories about going too big and wondering if the 70K BTU would be too large. The HVAC tech seems to think it will be fine, the ducts in my basement are large enough size.
I really wonder if your existing unit is actually mid efficiency, because 20 years ago most new homes were actually getting high efficiency as it was cheaper to side-wall vent than run a b-vent up to the roof.
I'm also concerned about going too small, this would defeat the purpose of 2 stage if it's having to run top speed all the time. I'm in a detached single family 2 story brick house that is approx 1400 sq ft (not inc finished basement). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
It is actually the opposite.
If you oversize and it can maintain the setting in extreme cold using low heat only, you effectively have a more expensive single stage furnace.

The entire idea is to get continuous operation in brutal weather.

The furnace is ideally sized so that high heat is required to run full or almost full time in the coldest weather you get.
When low heat is insufficient to maintain on its own and the appropriate thermostat is used, 2-stage furnaces cycle between low and high to supply heat continuously.

This typically happens below -10 to -15c, but depends on climate and how close it was sized.

When low is sufficient to maintain the setting by itself, it starts cycling off.

Even when properly sized, this type of furnace will cycle on and off, on low most of the season.
Low is 66% capacity.
The actual blower speed/airflow on low varies across models with the merit being around 90% of high heat airflow.

Do not put a 70k if 45k will do the job.

If 45k will not do the job, look at a 60k from another brand.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.