Home & Garden

New Furnace / Central Air Conditioner Time??

Aug 4, 2013
66 posts
75 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: Before and after pictures of the installation that was recently completed. 55724899-0CF3-4E5C-AB82-8188FF4BADAD.jpeg3CB30438-F7B1-4CCB-8590-1C1E28EE7AA4.jpeg11837F13-7B23-405A-A651-CA98F79004CE.jpegC1E604FF-2ECA-4D23-9763-8CC2485E319C.jpeg
Looks nice and clean.

Curious question: is there a reason why you couldn't use the existing direct vent for the water heater instead of drilling another hole in the wall for the 636 piping? Would this be possible or current building code prohibits?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3466 posts
1891 upvotes
Woodbridge
Thank you. Direct vent needs two pipe installation unless you are using concentric pipe depending upon the model and configuration allowed by manufacturer. Air intake is from outside and that is what it makes it direct vent. You can install this in closets and your mechanical room can have access from bedroom when DV type water heater is installed.
harbottle wrote: Looks nice and clean.

Curious question: is there a reason why you couldn't use the existing direct vent for the water heater instead of drilling another hole in the wall for the 636 piping? Would this be possible or current building code prohibits?
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12638 posts
4248 upvotes
Ontario
Armstrong is the same brand of my 35+ Year old AC and its still running strong and we never did any repairs on it being basically Lennox (without the name) they are quality units but cost less from what I have seen.

Nice install btw you can clearly see it was done by a technician that takes pride in his work & does things properly. It looks like a nice little furnace too.
newlyborn wrote: Before and after pictures of the installation that was recently completed. 55724899-0CF3-4E5C-AB82-8188FF4BADAD.jpeg3CB30438-F7B1-4CCB-8590-1C1E28EE7AA4.jpeg11837F13-7B23-405A-A651-CA98F79004CE.jpegC1E604FF-2ECA-4D23-9763-8CC2485E319C.jpeg
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
665 upvotes
GTA
The height difference between old and new is incredible, as well as how long older equipment lasted - that's gotta be from the 1970s or early 80s.
Manufacturers could build long lasting stuff if they wanted to, doesn't fit into their business model and people wouldn't want to pay a bit more.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12638 posts
4248 upvotes
Ontario
Exactly and its the same in most industry's not only HVAC
insertname2020 wrote: The height difference between old and new is incredible, as well as how long older equipment lasted - that's gotta be from the 1970s or early 80s.
Manufacturers could build long lasting stuff if they wanted to, doesn't fit into their business model and people wouldn't want to pay a bit more.
Jun 23, 2019
485 posts
319 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Exactly and its the same in most industry's not only HVAC
I work in the Automotive Industry and see it first hand everyday... Products are built to last only for the duration of the warranty. Everything is being built more cheaply, with inferior materials in the name of being "Environmentally Friendly" Yet since things only last 5-10 years now and are disposable we end up doing more damage to the Environment by having to toss the old one in a landfill and manufacture a new product. It's a race to the bottom with all Manufactures, build something that will only last 10 years instead of 20+ to keep people constantly buying and replacing. I've noticed it first hand with quality/materials in new construction houses, appliances, electronics, cars, tools, etc. Nothing is built to last anymore, yet they cost the consumer the same, so the cost savings aren't being passed onto the consumer.

/End Rant.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3466 posts
1891 upvotes
Woodbridge
IMO all the new applications have much more parts to break down than there earlier models. Furnace that we recently replaced had only thermocouple, gas valve, fan centre ( equivalent to board which has tons of relays and other switches) and a simple belt driven motor.
Any new furnace unlike the old ones has two pressure switches, ventor motor, secondary heat exchanger, hoses, traps, mother board, flame sensor, ignitor, high limit, multiple speed ECM or PSC motor, flame roll out switches and many more electronics built in. This overall increases probability for breakdown. New furnaces are fail safe furnaces, quieter and much more efficient.
Jun 3, 2003
149 posts
23 upvotes
My blower quit on me recently, found water in the area too so I thought the condensate pump might be gone.
Turns out the condensate line is plugged up pretty good and water found its way to the electrical, likely shorted the motor.
Funny thing is that I've got a guy to come clean my furnace couple months ago, checked the burners and HX - said everything is in good shape and never once I figure to check the AC condensate drain line as well.

There's some rust on the blower wiring that was hanging on the floor- did some rewiring myself and she's not starting, so it could be the motor, or the board- (no attached capacitor for the start-up power).
Gut feel is that it needs a new part, either motor, the mobo or the blower, and not a simple capacitor.

Anyways, I gave Fair Deal Heating and Air Conditioning a call, Ash helped assess the issue and kept everything very honest. We agree it's reached the end of life and time for a new furnace- more sold on the efficiency the new unit will bring.
They hooked me up with the group buy for a new furnace the next day, crew show up with a new Armstrong and replaced my 20yo furnace, including replacing my old ABS vent to code.
Overall they took care of us- and they stand behind their work. Recommend newlyborn and his team- honest, professional and fair pricing. Left the area clean and brought our comfort back quickly with recent heat wave.
Honesty goes a long way for me, They'll hear from my friends and family for their HVAC needs.
Jun 23, 2019
485 posts
319 upvotes
snoopyben wrote: My blower quit on me recently, found water in the area too so I thought the condensate pump might be gone.
Turns out the condensate line is plugged up pretty good and water found its way to the electrical, likely shorted the motor.
Funny thing is that I've got a guy to come clean my furnace couple months ago, checked the burners and HX - said everything is in good shape and never once I figure to check the AC condensate drain line as well.

There's some rust on the blower wiring that was hanging on the floor- did some rewiring myself and she's not starting, so it could be the motor, or the board- (no attached capacitor for the start-up power).
Gut feel is that it needs a new part, either motor, the mobo or the blower, and not a simple capacitor.

Anyways, I gave Fair Deal Heating and Air Conditioning a call, Ash helped assess the issue and kept everything very honest. We agree it's reached the end of life and time for a new furnace- more sold on the efficiency the new unit will bring.
They hooked me up with the group buy for a new furnace the next day, crew show up with a new Armstrong and replaced my 20yo furnace, including replacing my old ABS vent to code.
Overall they took care of us- and they stand behind their work. Recommend newlyborn and his team- honest, professional and fair pricing. Left the area clean and brought our comfort back quickly with recent heat wave.
Honesty goes a long way for me, They'll hear from my friends and family for their HVAC needs.
Glad to hear Ash and his crew took care of you. They replaced the furnace at my mothers house with an Armstrong 2 Stage Furnace and it has been a great unit.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3466 posts
1891 upvotes
Woodbridge
You actually did not lose on anything. When a motor is replaced, its recommended to replace the cap especially if its too old. While replacing the motor, cost of replacing cap is negligible but it eliminates potential issues.
renhui wrote: Thanks for taking the time to reply.
My ACs do have the transparent hoses just have-not checked them in a while myself hahah.
There is so much useful info in this thread and I think every home owner should go through them.
I wish I had paid more attention or asked when I replaced the capacitor of one of the AC units just to find out the motor is gone.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2935 posts
879 upvotes
Scarborough
newlyborn wrote: It’s imperative that installation is done as per the codes. Vent terminations outside need to be in code conformance.
Helped another RFDer to clear Warning tags and ensure that appliances are working safely
If I'm not mistaken any hvac tech or a gas man is authorized to shut off gas upon stumbling this non-code violation? At the end of the day the home owner is caught holding the bag (no heat/hot water)....shouldn't the authority (TSSA) be punishing the culprit installer also?

Questions: one of the pair is furnace so what's the other pair? Typical for hot water is one exhaust...?
Another thing, the hot water exhaust has a mesh guard to prevent rodents/birds blocking...so why don't the furnace intake/exhaust pipes have the same?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3466 posts
1891 upvotes
Woodbridge
Gas can be shut off only if it appliance has an immediate hazard like defective heat exchanger, disintegrated vent , flame rolling out etc.
If the appliance has potential danger like wrong terminations , improper material used for venting , insufficient combustion air, Chimney liner issues etc B tag is issued which gives 30-45 days to fix the identified issue before gas services turn the gas off.
2 vents are from furnace and other two are feom tankless water heater.

Samwfive wrote: If I'm not mistaken any hvac tech or a gas man is authorized to shut off gas upon stumbling this non-code violation? At the end of the day the home owner is caught holding the bag (no heat/hot water)....shouldn't the authority (TSSA) be punishing the culprit installer also?

Questions: one of the pair is furnace so what's the other pair? Typical for hot water is one exhaust...?
Another thing, the hot water exhaust has a mesh guard to prevent rodents/birds blocking...so why don't the furnace intake/exhaust pipes have the same?
Sep 11, 2011
726 posts
886 upvotes
Toronto
@newlyborn does your team service the L0K area code, for new AC units for a new construction?

We have family that is looking around, and if the price is right we might also be interested in a second unit in the same area (new house also).

There is so much information out there that it’s hard to find out what unit will perform well. Personally I’d hope for a unit that is also quiet - I notice a lot of the neighbours have some noisy units even though they are only 1-3 years old!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3466 posts
1891 upvotes
Woodbridge
Hello There. Please call me at 416-992-2333 when convenient.
ApocDeals wrote: @newlyborn does your team service the L0K area code, for new AC units for a new construction?

We have family that is looking around, and if the price is right we might also be interested in a second unit in the same area (new house also).

There is so much information out there that it’s hard to find out what unit will perform well. Personally I’d hope for a unit that is also quiet - I notice a lot of the neighbours have some noisy units even though they are only 1-3 years old!
Sep 1, 2021
1 posts
Hi @[newlyborn]

How can I contact you/your company to get a quote on a furnace replacement?
While doing online research I stumble upon this RFD threads.

I apologize if this is the wrong way to reach out, new to RFD!

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12638 posts
4248 upvotes
Ontario
you can cell/text him at 416-992-2333
he had just posted it above the other day.

vince2050 wrote: Hi @newlyborn

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3466 posts
1891 upvotes
Woodbridge
I can be contacted by phone, text, whats app at 416-992-2333 OR pls send me a PM here on RFD.
I try to respond my whats app messages as fast I can.
Feel free to google Fair Deal Heating & Air Conditioning and read more about us on different sites.
vince2050 wrote: Hi @newlyborn

Thanks!
Jan 12, 2011
217 posts
103 upvotes
Hawkesbury
I’m in the Ottawa region 45 min east. I was quoted $9300.00 to install a 2 head mini split system 12000 btu each. With the greener homes rebate I would get $2500 back. Making my net price $6800.00. Is it just me or are HVAC contractors taking advantage of the rebates by raising their price therefore saving the customer nothing. My installation is very simple, both units would be in rooms right above each other. Is this outrageous or is it the COVID factor ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)