New garage door opener advice

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 7:46 am
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12149 posts
7341 upvotes
Paris
mrweather wrote: I really like that. Unfortunately, I don’t have space on either side of the door opening to mount it.
I think they need about 9”. Your door goes 100% to the drywall? I’ve never seen that before.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3308 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: I think they need about 9”. Your door goes 100% to the drywall? I’ve never seen that before.
So basically the big black box hooks right up to the tension spring/rod and does the work? I just looked and I have room for each door thats just dead space now. While I wont rush out to replace 2 door openers. If my soldering fix fails Ill defintly replace my existing door.

Looks like install would be a way easier than having to deal with a rail. And in place of the rail put in another bank of lights or upper storage,

Looks like its time to keep an eye out on some good sales. Would have to consider as well the extra cost for an electrical plug to power the unit as well, or have a long cable to the power in the ceiling from the original outlet
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12149 posts
7341 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: So basically the big black box hooks right up to the tension spring/rod and does the work? I just looked and I have room for each door thats just dead space now. While I wont rush out to replace 2 door openers. If my soldering fix fails Ill defintly replace my existing door.

Looks like install would be a way easier than having to deal with a rail. And in place of the rail put in another bank of lights or upper storage,

Looks like its time to keep an eye out on some good sales. Would have to consider as well the extra cost for an electrical plug to power the unit as well, or have a long cable to the power in the ceiling from the original outlet
The plug is a big issue for these as no builder would put one there. But the extra storage above the door thing is why I would do it. Or just extra headroom for moving stuff around, or whatever. My garage is 10 feet and I find the opener and rail get in the way a lot moving 2x4s etc as my door is only a 7 footer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3308 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: The plug is a big issue for these as no builder would put one there. But the extra storage above the door thing is why I would do it. Or just extra headroom for moving stuff around, or whatever. My garage is 10 feet and I find the opener and rail get in the way a lot moving 2x4s etc as my door is only a 7 footer.
In theory you could use an light extension cord to go to the ceiling outlet and attach the cord to the ceiling, guess it depends on how clean you want the look.

I have a friend who is an electrician, and I planned on adding another bank of lights to my garage and as well a ceiling fan outlet just to move air around while I am up in the attic. Ill ask how much it would be to run two extra outlets for this in the future
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8620 posts
5548 upvotes
Mississauga
Jerico wrote: I think they need about 9”. Your door goes 100% to the drywall? I’ve never seen that before.
No drywall. I’ve got 6” between the door track and garage side wall. Between the garage doors (two of them) I’ve 8”.

An opener that could mount on the header above the door would work in my case. But nothing on either side of the door.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1271 posts
836 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Even if space is limited, think outside the box. :) This is an install I did for a buddy of mine.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8620 posts
5548 upvotes
Mississauga
How wide is the unit? From track edge to exterior sheathing I have almost 7”.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1271 posts
836 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
@mrweather This is a pic of my unit. Need a minimum of 7" for installation.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8620 posts
5548 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks. I’m quite doubtful it would fit in my case. :(