• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 1:18 pm
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1656 posts
1354 upvotes
Montreal
Oh nice. What other battery operated hardware that is almost perfect without breaking the wallet ? Ring ? Eufy ?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3241 posts
1992 upvotes
SW ON
The camera is magnetically mounted. First thing I thought - someone will steal it right away. No need to unscrew, no wires etc. But Google promises "And just in case, if someone removes your camera without permission, we’ll replace it for free.7"

I was wondering what kind of battery. "6 Ah lithium-ion battery" and "1m (3.3 ft) indoor rated charge cable, 7.5W USB-A power adapter" It's going to be fun charging a 6 Ah battery with a 7.5 W charger. It's probably 50/50 of time operating and charging. And Google has an option of operating it 24/7. I wonder how long it will last. Also Li-ion means it won't work in cold weather. Google forgot that not everyone lives in California.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1864 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Grey doorbell for Canada please.
Mar 8, 2013
399 posts
890 upvotes
Toronto
The battery version of the doorbell has a lower video resolution spec (1280x960)
https://store.google.com/ca/product/nes ... tery_specs

The wired version is 1600x1200:
https://store.google.com/ca/product/nes ... bell_specs

Edit:
Battery versions come with 3 hour video event history without Nest Aware (the old wired doorbell only has 3 hour snapshots):
https://support.google.com/googlenest/a ... 1538?hl=en
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3542 posts
1066 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
alpovs wrote: The camera is magnetically mounted. First thing I thought - someone will steal it right away. No need to unscrew, no wires etc. But Google promises "And just in case, if someone removes your camera without permission, we’ll replace it for free.7"

I was wondering what kind of battery. "6 Ah lithium-ion battery" and "1m (3.3 ft) indoor rated charge cable, 7.5W USB-A power adapter" It's going to be fun charging a 6 Ah battery with a 7.5 W charger. It's probably 50/50 of time operating and charging. And Google has an option of operating it 24/7. I wonder how long it will last. Also Li-ion means it won't work in cold weather. Google forgot that not everyone lives in California.
Google partnered up with Wassertein to offer an anti-theft mount, it's still looks it can be easily tampered with wire cutters as it's out in the open. I'm surprised this isn't included by default. https://store.google.com/product/wasser ... t?hl=en-US
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4635 posts
1272 upvotes
alpovs wrote: The camera is magnetically mounted. First thing I thought - someone will steal it right away.
Google is also selling a $35 security cable. They should've included it in the box but then that would raise the price. Being able to say the Nest Camera Outdoor is $180 USD is a marketing move. Seriously you're looking at $235 USD ($180 + $35) per camera.
alpovs wrote: I wonder how long it will last. Also Li-ion means it won't work in cold weather. Google forgot that not everyone lives in California.
Google says that the battery will last up to three months. There will be reviews of the camera testing cold weather performance. Just wait for those and don't buy the camera at release.

There's also a new wired Nest Camera Indoor at $100 USD. This model replaces the existing Nest camera and isn't listed on the Google Store yet. No announced release date and Google only provided media with a few photos.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3241 posts
1992 upvotes
SW ON
Mulder and Scully wrote: Google is also selling a $35 security cable. They should've included it in the box but then that would raise the price. Being able to say the Nest Camera Outdoor is $180 USD is a marketing move. Seriously you're looking at $235 USD ($180 + $35) per camera.

Google says that the battery will last up to three months. There will be reviews of the camera testing cold weather performance. Just wait for those and don't buy the camera at release.

There's also a new wired Nest Camera Indoor at $100 USD. This model replaces the existing Nest camera and isn't listed on the Google Store yet. No announced release date and Google only provided media with a few photos.
Three months of 24/7 recording? No way. Three months of 15 sec. recording per day - theoretically may be, but self-discharge of Li-ion batteries is quite high. I am not sure it will last 3 months even without recording anything. The big question is how long it will take to recharge it. If you have to remove a security camera for a day to recharge it - it's not security.

And make it magnetically mounted and sell a security cable. It's funny. Anyway, it's a toy. Proper security cameras are wired and produce an RTP stream 24/7.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4635 posts
1272 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Three months of 24/7 recording? No way. Three months of 15 sec. recording per day - theoretically may be, but self-discharge of Li-ion batteries is quite high. I am not sure it will last 3 months even without recording anything. The big question is how long it will take to recharge it. If you have to remove a security camera for a day to recharge it - it's not security.
Google hasn't said anything about how much recording the outdoor camera can do on a single charge. There's a lot of info not revealed yet. This was a product launch, not product review by media. The Nest Outdoor can be hardwired to power. There are also announced add-ons like flood lights and solar panels.

Remember that Google is selling this to sell its Nest Aware subscription service. The current Nest Cameras are useless unless you subscribe to Nest Aware. I'm surprised they're even offering any limited onboard recording this time at all. The target market is really people who are in the Google or Nest ecosystem and those who have no issue paying for monthly subscription services.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3241 posts
1992 upvotes
SW ON
Mulder and Scully wrote: Google hasn't said anything about how much recording the outdoor camera can do on a single charge.
But what is this info about? Self-discharge?
Mulder and Scully wrote: Google says that the battery will last up to three months.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3542 posts
1066 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Some of the video reviews are now out and both of these items are now available on the Google Store. The Nest Cam Flood lights are still not out yet.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
4008 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
hoping some third party would sell the indoor stand without the wires...i just wanted to stand it vertically without needing to plug in.

Maybe someone with 3d printer can do it.