• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2019 3:14 pm
[OP]
Mar 4, 2008
433 posts
64 upvotes
BC

New home buyer - big bank mortgage or mortgage broker

Just started to look into mortgages being a first time home buyer. Big bank mortgage v.s. mortgage broker. I'm starting to learn the language a bit...

I may have an opportunity to purchase a vacant lot and then building on it. Not sure how that all works out, sounds like one needs a lot more $$ for this...any good reading material on these topics?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2533 posts
1853 upvotes
Big banks have some of the most punitive mortgage break fees so I would avoid them.

In your case though, buying a vacant lot and building a home does not require the typical mortgage. You will be needing a construction loan that will eventually be repaid with a typical mortgage. Talk to a mortgage broker who has experience with construction loans.
Oct 21, 2013
195 posts
74 upvotes
waterloo, on
hand down broker. After having dealt with both, i can tell good broker will always have better rates than a bank.
Royal LePage Realtor
Serving Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Elmira/Guelph and surrounding cities
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9739 posts
6130 upvotes
Edmonton
JimboD wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 8:26 pm
Just started to look into mortgages being a first time home buyer. Big bank mortgage v.s. mortgage broker. I'm starting to learn the language a bit...

I may have an opportunity to purchase a vacant lot and then building on it. Not sure how that all works out, sounds like one needs a lot more $$ for this...any good reading material on these topics?
A broker will use big banks or smaller lenders to attempt to get you the best deal for your particular situation. For example, we went through a broker and ended up with a ScotiaBank mortgage.

C
Jul 21, 2009
104 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
DealsFreak wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 8:59 am
hand down broker. After having dealt with both, i can tell good broker will always have better rates than a bank.
Got any suggestions?
Feb 19, 2019
322 posts
253 upvotes
Stouffville ON
albogino wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 12:40 pm
Got any suggestions?
For a good broker? Yes, recommendations I believe can only be made through PM, shoot me one if you are interested.
I agree that dealing with a mortgage broker is preferred because they source from various lending institutions versus the bank will obviously sell their own product, however while they will usually have better rates I wouldn't say they always have them, sometimes a bank may have a special for a specific product that is just hard to beat.
Full Time & Full Service / Realtor.
Oct 21, 2013
195 posts
74 upvotes
waterloo, on
Yes, pm me. I will share details. Or refer to the main Mortgage thread. There are many good ones there.
Royal LePage Realtor
Serving Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Elmira/Guelph and surrounding cities