Home & Garden

New home gas charges from Enbridge

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2021 1:06 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 15, 2021
6 posts
1 upvote

New home gas charges from Enbridge

A month-old new house owner here. Just got my first bill from Enbridge and they are charging me for 6 cubic meters usage. I only have a heat furnace and fireplace which I haven't used yet. Can someone elaborate on why I'm being charged gas usage?
21 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22580 upvotes
GTA
zewais wrote: A month-old new house owner here. Just got my first bill from Enbridge and they are charging me for 6 cubic meters usage. I only have a heat furnace and fireplace which I haven't used yet. Can someone elaborate on why I'm being charged gas usage?
You don't have a gas water heater?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
4942 posts
1837 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
In addition to the above response, some gas fireplace have pilot lights that run 24/7 unless you turn them completely off.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 15, 2021
6 posts
1 upvote
fergy wrote: In addition to the above response, some gas fireplace have pilot lights that run 24/7 unless you turn them completely off.
Ohh, that's interesting. I'll look into it.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3524 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
No gas stove or BBQ ?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22580 upvotes
GTA
Gas leak?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Sr. Member
Jan 19, 2013
677 posts
592 upvotes
Ottawa
Is the 6cuM actual or estimate?
What does it read on the gas meter?
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2018
949 posts
907 upvotes
GTA
I had a series of weird billing patterns right after I moved in. On one month it said my usage was 0. I did see someone come in to take the reading afterwards and the next month seemed to have included the previous month's usage.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2029 posts
1094 upvotes
Oakville
If it is a brand new house, then it could be gas usage used by the builder while the house was being built.
If it is a resale house, then it could be gas usage used by the previous owner, after the final meter reading was done.
Did you record the meter readings on the day you moved in, and is the meter reading the same today?

You can also record the meter reading today, and monitor for any change over the next week to see if you are really using any gas. Depending on how many days it took for the 6 cu meters of gas to be used, you may need to monitor for any slight change in the relative position of the last digit to see very small daily incremental amounts of gas being used.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 15, 2021
6 posts
1 upvote
1chinaman wrote: Is the 6cuM actual or estimate?
What does it read on the gas meter?
Yeah Apparently it's a wrong reading and Enbridge estimates that I used 6 cubic meters. I'll call them right away.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3027 posts
734 upvotes
zewais wrote: Yeah Apparently it's a wrong reading and Enbridge estimates that I used 6 cubic meters. I'll call them right away.
Why waste the effort of calling? Next month will most likely be actual reading so it will all be good.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 15, 2021
6 posts
1 upvote
1chinaman wrote: Is the 6cuM actual or estimate?
What does it read on the gas meter?
Funny.. they mentioned that my reading is 1557 and estimate usage to 1563. Just read the meter and it's 1551.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11972 posts
7131 upvotes
Paris
zewais wrote: Funny.. they mentioned that my reading is 1557 and estimate usage to 1563. Just read the meter and it's 1551.
I had that same issue as the second owner many moons ago. Previous family must have lived in that house at 80 degrees plus. Every month my “estimate” was way way off. Started self -reporting the meter, got a call accusing me of under-reporting, and told them to come on by.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 15, 2021
6 posts
1 upvote
Jerico wrote: I had that same issue as the second owner many moons ago. Previous family must have lived in that house at 80 degrees plus. Every month my “estimate” was way way off. Started self -reporting the meter, got a call accusing me of under-reporting, and told them to come on by.
It seems so. I remember when I was house hunting, the previous owner did have a house sizzling hot :D
Did they came by and checked by themselves in the end?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3347 posts
1946 upvotes
Mississauga
zewais wrote: It seems so. I remember when I was house hunting, the previous owner did have a house sizzling hot :D
Did they came by and checked by themselves in the end?
Enbridge now does actual meter reads every other month. On the month in between you can submit your own read using the link below.
https://myaccount.enbridgegas.com/My-Ac ... -Gas-Meter

Years ago it was more common to have just one read every 6 months but they have now been mandated to do more regular reads...so every other month will be an estimate.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7215 posts
2242 upvotes
0 downvotes
can you simply call it in if you do not want to create a self serve account?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11972 posts
7131 upvotes
Paris
bubuski wrote: Enbridge now does actual meter reads every other month. On the month in between you can submit your own read using the link below.
https://myaccount.enbridgegas.com/My-Ac ... -Gas-Meter

Years ago it was more common to have just one read every 6 months but they have now been mandated to do more regular reads...so every other month will be an estimate.
This would have been Union Gas that did this to me, and they read when the place changed hands but I feel like they read once a quarter at the time. So 1 actual and then 2 estimated. But they would read say 1000, then estimate 1200 then 1400 then read 1250, then estimate 1450 and 1650, then read 1500, so it was a constant mess every month. I would be overbilled for 2 months, then owe next to nothing for 1, rinse and repeat.

My brother is an employee of Union Gas (now Enbridge) and he was the one that told me to self report. I remember it took more than the expected 12 months to even out though. More like 16 months. Wasnt a HUGE deal, but gas was more money then than now. We were DINKs at the time and had extra money each month, so it was more an irritant than an actual problem.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 15, 2021
6 posts
1 upvote
bubuski wrote: Enbridge now does actual meter reads every other month. On the month in between you can submit your own read using the link below.
https://myaccount.enbridgegas.com/My-Ac ... -Gas-Meter

Years ago it was more common to have just one read every 6 months but they have now been mandated to do more regular reads...so every other month will be an estimate.
Yeah I talked to them and will submit my reading once a month from now on.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2029 posts
1094 upvotes
Oakville
zewais wrote: Funny.. they mentioned that my reading is 1557 and estimate usage to 1563. Just read the meter and it's 1551.
Based on the way the numbers look through the dirty, weathered plastic cover, and that it is manually read quickly by human eye balls, it is still quite common for misreadings, of 7 vs 1, 8 vs 0, 3 vs 8, 5 vs 8, etc.

As others have said, unless it is significantly off, it will eventually even out when the actual reading reaches the estimated reading amount.

I had a bill one time where they were 3000 cu meters off because they misread/recorded the 5 as an 8, in the thousand position. Had to call it in and they manually fixed that month's invoice. This was with Union Gas before they merged with Enbridge.

I wonder what happens when they misread and the amount the recorded was less than the previous actual? Would they still record that amount or would they discard the reading and use an estimate instead. Example: Mth 1 1803 Actual, Mth 2 1921 Estimate, Mth 3 1392 Actual (s/b 1892)

Top