• May 23rd, 2021 2:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1622 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto

New Home Owner - looking for get Lawn Mower

I bought house last year and looking to get lawn mower. My builder sodded grass few weeks ago.
House is corner house.

So I do need to cut the grass from backyard and corner lot.

I heard corded ones are bad and hassle moving cable around.

So I guess my choice is either Gas or battery.

there are different sizes? -Which one is most convenient size to get? is lower number means smaller in size? 17" or 21"?

which brand is good and will last longer? less maintenance? battery or Gas?

Any recommendation?

this would be first time buying a lawn mower.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5092 posts
1998 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: I bought house last year and looking to get lawn mower. My builder sodded grass few weeks ago.
House is corner house.

there are different sizes? -Which one is most convenient size to get? is lower number means smaller in size? 17" or 21"?

Any recommendation?

I've been using corded since I learned how to mow from the 1980s till now.

It is easy and simple if you know how to manoever with a cord.

The old Simpson Sears that I had from the 1980s lasted all the way till last year before it died on me ... and I went with a Craftsman corded.

Timmer is corded ... blower is corded.

Even my snow blower is corded.

I cannot stand the smell of burning gas and I don't trust cordless.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2441 posts
386 upvotes
North York
I'm partial to the Toro's work well with low/rare maintenance required, self propelled RWD are mandatory options IMO. (Did grass cutting for a couple summers and that's what we and most other pros used)

You'll find better options at a small lawn and garden dealer than the box stores imo. As for gas/battery, check replacement costs for new batteries and how long they are guaranteed to be produced. You don't want to have to dump a machine because the batteries are worn out. Now with all that, I don't actually use a toro, I got a great deal on an older lawnboy commercial mower. It's probably 16 years old now, needed a carb rebuild when I got it, but hasn't needed anything in the 9ish years since. If you go gas, use shell 91 in it - it's doesn't have ethanol in it, which isn't great for small engines. Make sure to drain the gas at the end of the season and/or add stabil for the last tank of the year.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16733 posts
5294 upvotes
London
Gas
home-depot-toro-lawnmower-20379-440-246 ... #p34503453

cordless
home-depot-pm-ontario-toro-electric-law ... #p34503453
(new link to mower) https://www.homedepot.ca/product/toro-r ... ?rrec=true

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/product/45401/mowers

For cordless, you buy into a battery ecosystem - same battery fits a variety of tools. Pick the ecosystem that suits you the most. The big systems for garden tools are Ego 56V ARC, Toro 60v Flexforce and Greenworks Pro 80V
Last edited by l69norm on May 22nd, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1652 upvotes
Clarington, ON
This.

20" Lee valley. Look on Kijiji.
Images
  • D7FD7922-848E-4624-A132-C3531CFFA5E9.jpeg
  • BD8E2274-6DD8-45F4-8BD2-6F6FAFBBDF66.jpeg
Jul 1, 2015
61 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I had a corded mower and hated it. Don't buy one. One of the most important steps in having a good lawn is frequent mowing. And lugging out the extension cord, unravelling it, plugging it all in was enough of a barrier for me to not mow as frequently as I should have and the lawn was not nice. Then move it all to the front yard. I got a gas one a couple of years ago and mow much more frequently because it's just faster with less setup. If I was buying a new mower now I'd probably get a cordless battery one though I'm very happy with the gas.
May 24, 2012
291 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Cordless all the way for anything you own. This includes powertools, snow blower, lawn mower, weed whacker, and phones. If you can afford it, the convenience is worth it in my opinion. Batteries can be replaced and less smell too
Sep 15, 2017
624 posts
637 upvotes
Gas all the way. No worries about under powered garbage.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2730 posts
1731 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: I bought house last year and looking to get lawn mower. My builder sodded grass few weeks ago.
House is corner house.

Any recommendation?

Depends on how large your lawn is. A large lawn will probably require a gas mower. A battery operated mower that will cut a large space will be more expensive than a gas mower.

However it depends on your financial situation. I personally just got a battery operated mower and won't go back to gas, even if it costs me a little more. Battery mowers are lighter, easier to maneuver, easier to start, require little maintenance, and you don't have to deal with gas, oil, or huffing fumes as you cut the grass.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1669 posts
322 upvotes
I have a gas powered mower, but I’m seriously thinking of ditching it and go with a 40v battery powered mower, quite a few neighbors in my hood that have one already for a few years and they are all happy with them. I live in an old neighborhood so most of us have double lots, and most mowers can go about 45-60 min on one charge.

Home Depot usually has sale on their Ryobi mower package ( mower, trimmer and blower) that all use the same battery.
Ego mower is another good one as well as stihl.

The reason I want to ditch my gas mower is basically the hassle of dealing with gas.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1566 posts
1363 upvotes
Winnipeg
KevinM56081 wrote: This.

20" Lee valley. Look on Kijiji.
Wow, your lawn looks great! I have a reel mower but I didn't think it was cutting the grass well (brand new). Did you need to sharpen the blades right off the bat? Any tips?
Aug 4, 2013
61 posts
71 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: I've been using corded since I learned how to mow from the 1980s till now.

It is easy and simple if you know how to manoever with a cord.

The old Simpson Sears that I had from the 1980s lasted all the way till last year before it died on me ... and I went with a Craftsman corded.

Timmer is corded ... blower is corded.

Even my snow blower is corded.

I cannot stand the smell of burning gas and I don't trust cordless.
I've been using a Craftsman for 26 years. No hassles with oil and gas, or having to charge up batteries. Just plug in and turn on.

Growing up, we also had an electric mower that lasted 35 years. Finally sold it when my mother sold her house.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1622 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto
Which one did you buy? How much?