Personal Finance

New Home in Toronto - Using $500 Hydro per Month - Solar Panels Netmetering?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 2:35 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2012
19 posts
50 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Snowcrash01 wrote: Not trying to be a dick but no amount of solar is going to offset the environment impact of a new built luxury home, 3 Tesla's and a swimming pool.
Just reading this while my in house masseuse is finishing up my lunchtime massage. No offence taken at all. I'm off in my Tesla to meet up with Doug Ford to play golf while we have lobster and caviar delivered to us on every second hole.

Have a great afternoon everyone.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2012
19 posts
50 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tuffcalc wrote: To update this thread - I've found a contractor and will be installing a 9.9kW system on my roof. I will be swtiched over to tiered rates byToronto Hydro under the NetMetering program and receive 1to1 credit for any power I generate (well, my solar system will feed my homes energy requirements first, and the excess will go out to the grid for a 1to1 credit).

The economics are certainly not the same as the Microfit days, but my payback is still around 10 to 12 years. Good enough for me and my green tooth... and will be a pretty neat thing to see installed.

I'll be using Enphase microinverters and QCell panels.
Thought I would update this thread.

System is installed. I ended up installing a total of 12kW worth of panels. The system was lit on November 4th and on my best day so far I have produced 35kW. I'm hoping to get a huge bump starting spring with the longer days and higher sun. Unfortunatley because of how my house is situated most of the panels can only be tilted about 10 degrees.

The enphase system is great. Absolutley zero problems. I've already forgotten the panels are there.
Attachment-1-1.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8033 posts
2358 upvotes
Toronto
Messerschmitt wrote: How on earth you consume 3400 kwh? In the summer too.

I barely do 400 in the summer, more in the winter since I have baseboard heaters. I only have a bungalow, but still, unless you have a 10 room palace.
Maybe Op”s is growing pot inside. lol....
Jun 8, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
tuffcalc wrote: Thought I would update this thread.

System is installed. I ended up installing a total of 12kW worth of panels. The system was lit on November 4th and on my best day so far I have produced 35kW. I'm hoping to get a huge bump starting spring with the longer days and higher sun. Unfortunatley because of how my house is situated most of the panels can only be tilted about 10 degrees.

The enphase system is great. Absolutley zero problems. I've already forgotten the panels are there.

Attachment-1-1.jpeg
Hi, can you share your installer PM works and the amount it costs to install?

We are looking into this option as well

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1081 posts
826 upvotes
Mississauga
tuffcalc wrote: Just reading this while my in house masseuse is finishing up my lunchtime massage.
Touché
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50558 posts
14927 upvotes
ONTARIO
Snowcrash01 wrote: Not trying to be a dick but no amount of solar is going to offset the environment impact of a new built luxury home, 3 Tesla's and a swimming pool.
tuffcalc wrote: Just reading this while my in house masseuse is finishing up my lunchtime massage. No offence taken at all. I'm off in my Tesla to meet up with Doug Ford to play golf while we have lobster and caviar delivered to us on every second hole.

Have a great afternoon everyone.
Hey can you hire me as a goon? I can throw out guys like that.

Jk
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14766 posts
2523 upvotes
Toronto
tuffcalc wrote: Thought I would update this thread.

Attachment-1-1.jpeg
coconutjay wrote: Hi, can you share your installer PM works and the amount it costs to install?

We are looking into this option as well

Thanks
I am also curious about the cost. Are these also the new 315W panels on the market now?

Thank you OP for keeping it on topic. Lots of salty naysayers on RFD for just wanting to buy solar panels 🤦‍♂️
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11732 posts
3350 upvotes
Kingston
FYI, lots of details on how Net Metering works in this thread: solar-energy-net-metering-ontario-1968455/

Last time I looked at the returns it wasn't great and you had to be in the house a long time to realize any sort of return. All your cost is up front and you have to wait a long time to get a good return. If you move it doesn't seem like buyers are paying much for solar arrays (even ones with great microFIT contracts).
Jan 27, 2007
58 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
We run 10KW using microfit (net billing isn't great, financially). Payout on cash basis (due to tax write-offs) in just over 3 years.

Hope this helps someone. Our 10KW install isn't directly due south (190 degrees?) and is about 10 degrees lower angle than it should be for ideal setup.
Capture.JPG
Jul 10, 2020
165 posts
207 upvotes
Insulate your home
When it shows, after 1-3 days do you still have snow on your roof, or is it gone before your neighbors? If so, your insulation is poor.
How old is your furnace and what is it's efficiency? Get something above 95%
RFD is hurting my wallet, too many good deals *link removed - advertising is not permitted*