Computers & Electronics

New Homeowner Which one: Carrytel vs Start.ca

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 8:33 pm
Sep 10, 2018
5 posts

New Homeowner Which one: Carrytel vs Start.ca

Hey everyone,

I'm moving out soon and have been doing some research on these two internet providers. I've read many reviews on both but am still a bit confused on which is more consistent and quality of service. I plan on pairing it cogeco cable so any suggestions or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated.
23 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
look at start if you want something stable
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I think the general consensus is start.ca. Too many horror stories about carrytel
Last edited by Gee on Sep 20th, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
mike0523 wrote: Hey everyone,

I'm moving out soon and have been doing some research on these two internet providers. I've read many reviews on both but am still a bit confused on which is more consistent and quality of service. I plan on pairing it cogeco cable so any suggestions or honest feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I've been with Start (DSL) for a little over 2yrs now, while they are not the cheapest provider. They have excellent knowledgeable customer service reps which are easy to deal with. Their internet service (Bell) has been extremely reliable with no drops or issues with inconsistent speeds. In my opinion, they're worth it for the extra few bucks more.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11167 upvotes
I just transferred to Start from Cogeco.

I am extremely happy and have not noticed a thing in the, except significantly less equipment in my cabinets. Lol.

I considered Carrytel, but I am happy with my choice.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
I've used both.
Start.ca is just absolutely awesome. It's like the old Teksavvy because TS went downhill. The Techs are friendly and very helpful and knowledgable and they are always on top of issues. They've always resolved my issues within 1 call. If follow up is required they will be on top of it and call you when it's resolved. I like that they take ownership of issues.

CarryTel is cheap and you get what you pay for. Their customer service is decent it's not terrible like Rogers or Bell or Acanac. But definitely not as great as Start.ca but it's reflected in the price.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
363 upvotes
been with carrytel for about 2 years now, been happy with both their fibe and cable services.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Been with Start for years and no complaints. Very solid, their only real downtime has been due to Cogeco. Their customer service is the best in the industry, no one else comes close. I had trouble with an online game due to a border routing issue on their end and I was able to get a member of their Network Admin team to hop on the phone with me and adjust a routing table. They have called me back to follow up any time I've had a problem and even their level 1 support people are very knowledgeable. That's service worth paying for.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
Start.ca - longest time on hold for support was 2 minutes compared to Rogers with 30-40 min wait times. Most times, Start tech support pics up the phone within a few rings.

If Start support says they’ll follow up with you the next day (after they report a problem to Rogers/ Bell) , they actually do call where you always have to chase after Bell or Rogers
Aug 31, 2006
998 posts
168 upvotes
I've had both.

Start - Was with them for 1 yr. I recall having to call c/s once or twice, received great service. When I was signing up, I wasn't sure what speed to go with. The guy on the phone was extremely helpful. We talked about Game of thrones and he explained what I needed in order to torrent the episodes, no upselling. However I remember the service going down for 15-30 minutes almost every night between 12-1am. Never found out why, it wasn't that important.

CarryTel DSL - Been about a year and a half, no problems with service. Sometimes I have lag watching live streams but I'm at the max that my building can handle (Fiber 25) and I'm usually watching on *ahem* questionable sources. Haven't had to call c/s. Worst part was trying to figure out where was the entrance to the place at Vic Park/Finch to pick up my modem.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8585 posts
5370 upvotes
Start.ca has the best customer service of any home internet provider I've tried, & the service is quite stable/reliable. Start.ca does not have the lowest prices, but they offer the same pricing to everyone, its a more fair way to do business rather than having to call in multiple times to haggle like Rogers. I understand Carrytel is cheaper, but there's a fair amount of people unsatisfied with Carrytel service &/or reliability. I would go with Start
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Gee wrote: I think the general consul is start.ca. Too many horror stories about carrytel
4 months on carrytel and 0 issues for me, very happy with the service and can cancel anytime should it become unreliable so there's little risk
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Sep 10, 2018
5 posts
Thanks so much guys for the responses. Looks like the customer service on start.ca is a lot more superior.

Will either be compaitable with cogeco cable? Carrytel offers both cable and Fibe internet. Are the speeds similar to start.ca? On start.ca I’m looking at the home cable 15 package. Thanks again :)
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2047 posts
1661 upvotes
mike0523 wrote: Thanks so much guys for the responses. Looks like the customer service on start.ca is a lot more superior.

Will either be compaitable with cogeco cable? Carrytel offers both cable and Fibe internet. Are the speeds similar to start.ca? On start.ca I’m looking at the home cable 15 package. Thanks again :)
with start since 2013(6years) using cogeco. Awesome customer service and awesome speed.just put in your postal code on their website to find out what kind of speed/package you can get.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Sep 10, 2018
5 posts
nousername wrote: with start since 2013(6years) using cogeco. Awesome customer service and awesome speed.just put in your postal code on their website to find out what kind of speed/package you can get.
Thanks so much for the response. Do you think the Home Cable 15 package which is 15 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload speed is good for web surfing, and some light streaming and gaming?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2047 posts
1661 upvotes
mike0523 wrote: Thanks so much for the response. Do you think the Home Cable 15 package which is 15 Mbps download, 1 Mbps upload speed is good for web surfing, and some light streaming and gaming?
No idea. Get it. If you feel it’s not enough speed . You can upgrade anytime.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Feb 5, 2007
889 posts
473 upvotes
Mississauga
the better question to ask is, which service does the area use? If they both use the same line, go with start for customer service. Much better, but carrytel's plan may be a bit more value. I have carrytel DSL 0 issues. Had start in hamilton (cogeco cable) and also very good. The initial install did have some issues though (the contracted tech from cogeco wasnt willing to run lines or find the line into the basement)
Sep 10, 2018
5 posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I will ask which service is being used in the condo. Last question not a fan of renting modems, do you recommend buying what start offers (Technicolor TC4300 or Hitron CDA3) or purchasing a compatible modem?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2528 posts
1241 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
mike0523 wrote: Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I will ask which service is being used in the condo. Last question not a fan of renting modems, do you recommend buying what start offers (Technicolor TC4300 or Hitron CDA3) or purchasing a compatible modem?
The primary reason for renting a modem, is you don't know if you'll keep the service long enough to save money, or you don't like the modem so you want to rent until something better is available.

If you rent, you can buy out the modem later. The cost will be depreciated by the age of the modem, but you'll still end-up paying more than if you just purchased the modem up front.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)