• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 9:14 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2017
111 posts
71 upvotes

New homes in Niagara region

Guys,
Given that the GTA prices are out of reach I am looking for a new build in the niagara region for a detached home.
I will be commuting to GTA for work.

Any recommendations for projects and builders in that region.
Also any feedback on Merritt meadomws by Rinaldi homes?
8 replies
Apr 25, 2019
353 posts
188 upvotes
ahaneo wrote: Guys,
Given that the GTA prices are out of reach I am looking for a new build in the niagara region for a detached home.

Are you sure you can commute to GTA from Niagara daily? I have heard people who did it from hamilton gave up only after a month.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5084 posts
1039 upvotes
Burlington
Where in the GTA? If Burlington maybe doable. But to Scarborough good luck.
Jun 1, 2019
251 posts
334 upvotes
I used to commute from Niagara to Markham (before getting into Real Estate), but I only had to do it 1 day/week (web developer, work from home the other 4 days/week). I would not have been able to handle it if it was 3 days/week or more.
Full Service Realtor
Niagara / Hamilton-Burlington
Mar 19, 2013
18 posts
5 upvotes
St. Catharines
I agreed with everyone about the commute, and then I realized that development you're looking at is in Welland. I have commuted to Toronto from Niagara, and I hated it, but I took transit mostly so I could at least get work done. You wouldn't even have that option without a significant drive. It's an hour commute just to Burlington. Don't do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
I'd rather rent. Commuting stress is dangerous and also costly. Factor in your commute cost as well. Time is money! Don't waste your valuable time commuting most of your day.
Jun 1, 2019
251 posts
334 upvotes
Given everyone's responses, but you still want to buy in Niagara because of the prices, maybe do this:
i) buy a house in Niagara, and rent it out
ii) rent a small apartment in GTA close to your work
Full Service Realtor
Niagara / Hamilton-Burlington
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19366 posts
8003 upvotes
Toronto

Niagara can be great for renting out the property, I have a property in the region myself that gets me great positive cash flow, and has seen nice capital growth over the last few years. I definitely do not recommend commuting on a daily basis from there, the QEW Near Burlington can get crowded. Lived in Niagara for 6 years while I was there for school, and used to commute back on a weekly basis which was hard enough...

My suggestion, rent out the property, use the positive cash flow to then rent something closer, will work out cheaper that way and less stressful.
Realtor - Investment Properties
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3320 posts
898 upvotes
Ancaster
We looked at Rinaldi Homes about five years ago but then decided to stay put where we are in Ancaster until we're retired.

I was really impressed with the builder quality and designs when we looked back then.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)