Home & Garden

New house and constructor wants to charge me fees 1 week before the closing date.. help??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2016 1:28 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2012
122 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa/Gatineau

New house and constructor wants to charge me fees 1 week before the closing date.. help??

Hi all, I bought a new house 5 months and I want your opinion about a fee that the constructor wants to charge me last minute.

I specified I want my stairs black and my hardwood floor grey a long time ago. It was all good until now. They called me to say that normally for the last step of the stairs they put hardwood floor because the last step is bigger and they are normally putting the same hardwood floor that they put in the house. So it's either that the last step will be grey or I pay 350$ so they put black wood.. I would understand if they would told me that at the beggining, but they are telling me this 1 week before the closing date lol...

Can they do that? What should I do?
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1476 posts
526 upvotes
Ottawa
Talk to your lawyer. You are paying him exactly for this type of things.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
Was there anything written in your contract or paperwork about this?

C
Mar 7, 2011
396 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
csi123 wrote: Talk to your lawyer. You are paying him exactly for this type of things.
I agree with this - if your lawyer is competent, he should be able to answer your question fine.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32071 posts
19285 upvotes
Toronto
You can take it up with Tarion (thru conciliation) if the builder refuses your request and do the standard. Let Tarion decides the fate for you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38196 posts
24382 upvotes
Center of Universe
Is this an upgrade or a free color selection?
[OP]
Sep 1, 2012
122 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa/Gatineau
csi123 wrote: Talk to your lawyer. You are paying him exactly for this type of things.
I don't have a lawyer.
CNeufeld wrote: Was there anything written in your contract or paperwork about this?

C
Not really on the contract, but I just have a paper where I am confirming the color of the stairs and ramps.
vkizzle wrote: Is this an upgrade or a free color selection?
They normally default the stairs color to the hardwood floor color, but I changed it and there were no fees for this.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
I would talk to Tarion, as someone mentioned. If you look at their Homebuyer section, they have one for "Unauthorized Substitutions". But it's pretty specific circumstances. In the end, you may want to consider paying now to make sure it gets done, and take the builder to small claims court to get your $350 plus court costs back.

C
[OP]
Sep 1, 2012
122 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa/Gatineau
CNeufeld wrote: I would talk to Tarion, as someone mentioned. If you look at their Homebuyer section, they have one for "Unauthorized Substitutions". But it's pretty specific circumstances. In the end, you may want to consider paying now to make sure it gets done, and take the builder to small claims court to get your $350 plus court costs back.

C
What's Tarion? Do they offer these services in Quebec?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
Well, I was assuming, based on your location on your profile, that you were in Ontario... You'll have to investigate your Quebec options if that's where you are, I guess.

C