Home & Garden

new house - do I have to setup gas service in the summer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 3:14 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
308 posts
345 upvotes

new house - do I have to setup gas service in the summer?

We're taking possession of our first home next week and beginning to setup utilities. I'm wondering if natural gas is something I should even bother to connect at this point as it will likely not run all summer long? I've never had to pay a gas bill before but I assume that if I setup now I will be charged for administration fees of some sort even if no gas is used for the next 3 months?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1175 posts
887 upvotes
That is correct, you will have to pay dem good old admin fees or customer charges. Also, what do you use to heat your water? BBQ? Stove? Etc.

This said, every public utility is pretty far backlogged due to covid. So I would probably put it in ahead of time to ensure it gets done.
Feb 26, 2019
471 posts
400 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you want hot water this summer? I bet your hot water heater runs off NG.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
308 posts
345 upvotes
doh! didn't have my first coffee before thinking about that this morning.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1174 posts
1070 upvotes
Clarington, ON
miningminer wrote: doh! didn't have my first coffee before thinking about that this morning.
I have these pre coffee moments often.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
miningminer wrote: We're taking possession of our first home next week and beginning to setup utilities. I'm wondering if natural gas is something I should even bother to connect at this point as it will likely not run all summer long? I've never had to pay a gas bill before but I assume that if I setup now I will be charged for administration fees of some sort even if no gas is used for the next 3 months?
I think it's mandatory in Ontario but maybe not in the Yukon.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 26, 2019
471 posts
400 upvotes
Ottawa
I was just admiring the RFD spirit! Save a few bucks in exchange for cold showers.