Home & Garden

New House Purchase - Water Filter Contract - Help needed!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2019 7:42 pm
[OP]
Jun 17, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes

New House Purchase - Water Filter Contract - Help needed!

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker but posting for the first time. Our family purchased a new house in May and we are already having issues with it.

When we first came to view the house, the seller mentioned that she has a water filter system in the house and asked us if we would like to keep it. She mentioned that the water filter system is from Enbridge and did not mention a contract at all. She only mentioned that she pays $30 a month for it but no information about a contract was shared. We agreed after hearing that it is from Enbridge. The agreement for purchase and sale also mentioned "Enbridge Water System" in the rental section.

Once we moved into the house, I called Enbridge to find out more about the water filter system and I was told that this product is not theirs. I went into the basement to learn the actual company whose water filter system it was and contacted them. I learned that the seller had an 8 year contract in place and the cancellation fees is $790 plus $190 to remove it from our premises. Had we known of either this company's name or that there was a contract, we would have never agreed to take it on. I always google the company before getting into anything and this company does not have good reviews online. If she had mentioned this company's name in the agreement of purchase and sale, as opposed to mentioning "Enbridge Filter System", we would have never signed it. It turns out that Enbridge has nothing to do with this company and that they only collect the bills on behalf of this third party water filtration company. I contacted the third party and they are saying that as the new homeowners, we have assumed responsibility for this lease, however, we did not even know about the actual name of the company or that there was a contract.

I would really appreciate if anyone can provide us with any kind of advice on how to tackle this situation. I suffer from a chronic illness and this stress is only making my condition worse. Thank you so much for your time and help in advance.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1119 upvotes
What does your real estate contract say? They usually include a clause that you agree to take over any rentals that are in the home. If you have this clause, you mind as well either buy it out or keep paying it, not much you can do. We got stung with a propane rental with similar pretences.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3909 posts
727 upvotes
So just want to clarify something, you wouldn't be concerned if the water filter system was from Enbridge?

I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's from some company you've never heard of since there are so many water filtration companies out there that it wouldve been very likely you wouldn't have heard about them anyways.

From Enbridge or not, the water filter system would likely have worked the same way anyways.
Dec 26, 2017
276 posts
164 upvotes
and the bill is under whos name? did she switch it to your name or not yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3500 posts
484 upvotes
Waterloo
jakash wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 2:17 pm
Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker but posting for the first time. Our family purchased a new house in May and we are already having issues with it.

When we first came to view the house, the seller mentioned that she has a water filter system in the house and asked us if we would like to keep it. She mentioned that the water filter system is from Enbridge and did not mention a contract at all. She only mentioned that she pays $30 a month for it but no information about a contract was shared. We agreed after hearing that it is from Enbridge. The agreement for purchase and sale also mentioned "Enbridge Water System" in the rental section.

Once we moved into the house, I called Enbridge to find out more about the water filter system and I was told that this product is not theirs. I went into the basement to learn the actual company whose water filter system it was and contacted them. I learned that the seller had an 8 year contract in place and the cancellation fees is $790 plus $190 to remove it from our premises. Had we known of either this company's name or that there was a contract, we would have never agreed to take it on. I always google the company before getting into anything and this company does not have good reviews online. If she had mentioned this company's name in the agreement of purchase and sale, as opposed to mentioning "Enbridge Filter System", we would have never signed it. It turns out that Enbridge has nothing to do with this company and that they only collect the bills on behalf of this third party water filtration company. I contacted the third party and they are saying that as the new homeowners, we have assumed responsibility for this lease, however, we did not even know about the actual name of the company or that there was a contract.

I would really appreciate if anyone can provide us with any kind of advice on how to tackle this situation. I suffer from a chronic illness and this stress is only making my condition worse. Thank you so much for your time and help in advance.
Since you don't know who the contract is with, dont pay the bills. simple. let the previous owner handle it. In the meanwhile let the previos owner know that since its not with enbridge you dont want it.

while we are at it, What sort of water filtration system costs $30 a month!
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1270 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Benzat17 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 2:53 pm
and the bill is under whos name? did she switch it to your name or not yet?
I'm not sure if it matters. The filtration system was mentioned in the Purchase Agreement and thus the buyer assumes the rental contract automatically.

Though it may be possible to get out based on a technicality since it states "Enbridge" when it is not in fact an Enbridge system.
[OP]
Jun 17, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes
Supahhh wrote:
Jun 21st, 2019 10:09 pm
Since you don't know who the contract is with, dont pay the bills. simple. let the previous owner handle it. In the meanwhile let the previos owner know that since its not with enbridge you dont want it.

while we are at it, What sort of water filtration system costs $30 a month!
Thanks for your reply. I contacted the third party company and they told us that since they have "Enbridge Filter System" in the purchase and sale agreement, we are on the hook for the payments or we have to pay $790 to cancel it and if we don't pay the monthly payments, our account will go into collections. I asked the company for a contract and it mentions the sellers name on it with an 8 year contract. I would have never ever agreed to it had I known of the lengthy contract or that it is not from Enbridge.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4349 posts
1633 upvotes
jakash wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 11:10 am
Thanks for your reply. I contacted the third party company and they told us that since they have "Enbridge Filter System" in the purchase and sale agreement, we are on the hook for the payments or we have to pay $790 to cancel it and if we don't pay the monthly payments, our account will go into collections. I asked the company for a contract and it mentions the sellers name on it with an 8 year contract. I would have never ever agreed to it had I known of the lengthy contract or that it is not from Enbridge.
Enbridge typically is just a collections agency for these rental companies. They do not rent equipment anymore as far as I know, they just collect the fees.
Read and understand what you’re signing before hand

It’s sad that you can’t trust people nowadays to have you’re best interests in mind. Many agents/lawyers tend not to bring these sort of things up until it’s too late if at all because they know it might be a deal breaker
Last edited by Red_Army on Jun 24th, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Jun 17, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks so much for your replies, everyone. I truly appreciate it. The seller said that she has nothing to do with the water filter system now and that it is our responsibility. I even mentioned to her that she mentioned the system is from Enbridge and that she had also put "Enbridge Filter System" in the purchase and sale agreement...nor did she mention any contract. She isn't budging and keeps saying that she cannot help us anymore. This is truly very depressing.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4349 posts
1633 upvotes
jakash wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 11:16 am
Thanks so much for your replies, everyone. I truly appreciate it. The seller said that she has nothing to do with the water filter system now and that it is our responsibility. I even mentioned to her that she mentioned the system is from Enbridge and that she had also put "Enbridge Filter System" in the purchase and sale agreement...nor did she mention any contract. She isn't budging and keeps saying that she cannot help us anymore. This is truly very depressing.
Sad to hear, however much of the blame lies on you as well. Best to chalk it up as a lesson learned as opposed to dwelling on it
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2861 posts
206 upvotes
jakash wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 2:17 pm
Hi Everyone,

New House Purchase
cancellation fees is $790 plus $190 to remove it from our premises.

hmm.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
[OP]
Jun 17, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes
callernamet wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 11:30 am
New House Purchase
cancellation fees is $790 plus $190 to remove it from our premises.

hmm.
Sorry, should have made it clear. $790 is the fees for early cancellation and $190 is the fees they will charge for the technician to come to our house and to remove the system.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2861 posts
206 upvotes
jakash wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 11:40 am
Sorry, should have made it clear. $790 is the fees for early cancellation and $190 is the fees they will charge for the technician to come to our house and to remove the system.
No I got that.
My question was (which was not there) like bought a house and $1000 is not big deal. Like water heater cost. After buying the old owner has nothing to do. Ask questions before and clarify. Or just settle for a price $5000 less. All this after signing I dont get.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3500 posts
484 upvotes
Waterloo
jakash wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 11:10 am
you don't talk about this with the supplier or the previous owner. you take this to your lawyer.

also, there is 2 different methods of cancellation. One is buyout and other is outright cancellation. with outright cancellation , you would have two more options. you remove the equipment or you have them remove it. If you remove it, they collect it or you drop it off. All these options result in different charges.

8 year is the contract term, what is the term left on it? there should be a sticker on the unit specifying the install date. ALso you should ask for the actual contract. thats all the conversation you should have with the vendor.
----
Pay it forward.