• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2021 8:10 am
[OP]
Oct 21, 2003
644 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto

New Hydro Connection on New Build

Hoping someone has some experience with this.

So, we had Toronto Hydro install a new 200A underground service connection for our house. Paid $2300+ for this service.

However, now my builder is saying that when Toronto Hydro installed it they only do it up to the property line (i guess from outside up to the edge of the property line) and I am responsible for the connection run from the property line up to the meter into the house.

My builder is telling me Toronto Hydro normally does it up to the meter but in our case they didn't and they are unsure why. Hydro is saying thats not included in their service. I was given a quote for $5500 extra to finish the install by my builder. So, just to add a new hydro connection costs $7700+ ??? So, needless, this is an unexpected shock.

Anyone have experience with this? Is someone double dipping on costs here or this is normal? Please advise.
Last edited by Dan325ci on May 6th, 2021 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
10 replies
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Where would they be terminating at the property line and or how?
[OP]
Oct 21, 2003
644 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
No clue about any of this. I just know i called Toronto Hydro to install a new 200A connection and my builder is saying they put a new one there but the underground service channel running from the property line to the meter is not completed. Toronto Hydro says that is not included in their service....Builder is saying it usually is also done at the same time a new connection service is installed, but it wasn't. so thats where I am now.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5301 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
usually is means its done sometimes but not required to do, hence this time they wont do it unless you pony up. you can also pay an electrician to run the hydro to your meter, you dont have to hire hydro to install it all the way to the hydro meter. call an electrician and ask how much i bet they charge less
Hi
[OP]
Oct 21, 2003
644 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: usually is means its done sometimes but not required to do, hence this time they wont do it unless you pony up. you can also pay an electrician to run the hydro to your meter, you dont have to hire hydro to install it all the way to the hydro meter. call an electrician and ask how much i bet they charge less
That was a quote from a third party. Because it is underground they have to do some excavating and back fill for the channel and include gravell bedding with a concrete encasement....according to Toronto Hydro’s Requirement. I just thought that was included in the original price I paid to Toronto Hydro.
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Wow, never heard of this on a new build. I thought they included this in the connection fee the builder charges. Did they already back filled?

I think you are stuck either way, but does seem like a bit of a cash grab.
Apr 21, 2004
871 posts
81 upvotes
Pickering
The $2300 is only the utility connection. A 200 amp should be around $9k everything in so that price seems not far off (including excavation, meter, main panel).

We had a utility pole beside our property and the electrician ran enough wire to scale the pole and Veridian/Elexicon in Durham just did the connection. We did a 400amp connection and it was $24k (including 200 amp main panel, 2 x 100 amp panels).

If you think that's expensive, connecting to the sewer in Durham was $13k. Again, you are responsible for everything going up to it from your newly built house.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2537 posts
1516 upvotes
Alliston, ON
lamin wrote: Wow, never heard of this on a new build. I thought they included this in the connection fee the builder charges. Did they already back filled?

I think you are stuck either way, but does seem like a bit of a cash grab.
By new build, I think he means a custom home (teardown and rebuild) in which case it's not included in the home price unless included at the time contracts are drawn up.
In a new build subdivision home, then it's included in the house price
[OP]
Oct 21, 2003
644 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, it is a custom home.

Ok, from what I've read I agree the total cost of this is reasonable. Now it comes down to who pays for this. Our fixed price contract says we are responsible for all the city fees (which in this case was paid directly to Toronto Hydro for the new connection). Builder is responsible for the private property related work. This would constitute as such.

I think they already backfilled and thats probably where alot of the charges are coming from for digging this up again. They had many opportunities before to run this line. (such as when they were doing the water sewage lines)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2990 posts
1251 upvotes
Dan325ci wrote: Yeah, it is a custom home.

Ok, from what I've read I agree the total cost of this is reasonable. Now it comes down to who pays for this. Our fixed price contract says we are responsible for all the city fees (which in this case was paid directly to Toronto Hydro for the new connection). Builder is responsible for the private property related work. This would constitute as such.

I think they already backfilled and thats probably where alot of the charges are coming from for digging this up again. They had many opportunities before to run this line. (such as when they were doing the water sewage lines)
Buried hydro will always be done using a dedicated trench, so excavation costs would not have been saved. Hydro never pays for anything beyond the property line or pole being fed from.

You just have to find out who messed up, and make sure it is not already in your contract.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5301 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
when you have a custom build, if u want to save money, you can co-ordinate so other utilities like rogers cable, bell fiber or what ever can use the same trench, they have to be burried anyways in a conduit so u can kill 3 birds with one stone if u know how to plan for this stuff.
Hi