Cell Phones

new iphone - old sim card

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 9:40 pm
[OP]
Member
May 4, 2020
261 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, On

new iphone - old sim card

Hi
I have old blackberry bold phone with SIM card (pay as you go -rogers). If I buy iPhone (from bestbuy for example not from rogers or telus etc.) Can I use the SIM card I have now in the new iPhibe? My plan is to have a phone and for the internet I can use WiFi. Thank you very much,
23 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16261 posts
4797 upvotes
Markham
Better get a new Sim card

iphone need Nano Sim card
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jr. Member
Sep 25, 2020
183 posts
89 upvotes
I used to have fido and Roger's pay as you go.

Bought iPhone 5 from Apple store (every iPhone sold from Apple store is unlocked and not tied to a carrier. Paid phone at full price). I pop in pay as you go sim card and it works.

Not sure if newer iPhone sim slot support the old sim card. Old sim card size is bigger. Might need to use tool and cut it slightly. These days sim card size is micro sim.

Make sure iPhone is unlocked.
If not, you'll need to pay extra money online and unlock it. I remember there was a Canadian cell phone unlock site where you pay 10-20 bucks for a code to get your phone unlocked to work on any carrier.
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2007
971 posts
589 upvotes
Mississauga
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
I have old blackberry bold phone with SIM card (pay as you go -rogers). If I buy iPhone (from bestbuy for example not from rogers or telus etc.) Can I use the SIM card I have now in the new iPhibe? My plan is to have a phone and for the internet I can use WiFi. Thank you very much,
you may need to cut your current sim if it is not nano.. otherwise no problem...

if you don't want to pay for a sim apple stores used to sell them or $0.00 not sure if they still do.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19894 posts
6076 upvotes
Toronto
Bad idea to cut SIM card. The thickness of a regular SIM is thicker than a nano SIM. It can work fine but cut cards have a higher chance of getting stuck inside.

Just get a new card. Very old cards also sometimes cause compatibility problems so that’s another reason not to cut an old card for use in a current iPhone.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16261 posts
4797 upvotes
Markham
canada85000 wrote: I used to have fido and Roger's pay as you go.

Bought iPhone 5 from Apple store (every iPhone sold from Apple store is unlocked and not tied to a carrier. Paid phone at full price). I pop in pay as you go sim card and it works.

Not sure if newer iPhone sim slot support the old sim card. Old sim card size is bigger. Might need to use tool and cut it slightly. These days sim card size is micro sim.

Make sure iPhone is unlocked.
If not, you'll need to pay extra money online and unlock it. I remember there was a Canadian cell phone unlock site where you pay 10-20 bucks for a code to get your phone unlocked to work on any carrier.
Since Dec. 2017 . All phones from carriers are sold unlocked
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1175 posts
524 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I actually went back and checked the post date to make sure someone didn’t revive an old thread lol
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4102 posts
1243 upvotes
Just goto a roger's store and say you want to port the old sim's account to a new nano sim cause you got a new phone. Or call in to customer service requesting the same thing. They'll ask you the number on the new simcard itself and it'll be ported in a few minutes. Should just cost you the price of buying a new nano sim card .

I think one of the above posters could be correct that if you by your iphone from the apple store they can help you set it up , new sim and all. That's what happened when I got my 6S years ago. Not sure if thats still the case.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2340 posts
1359 upvotes
Calgary
With my iPhone 12 Apple gave me a new TELUS SIM e-card as I was using eSIM on my old phone. No charge for the SIM card.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18861 posts
2544 upvotes
Woodbridge
I've ask Apple Store or Rogers before, told them my data cuts off.

I don't know how these MOFO can charge for a SIM card when you're paying them monthly.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4850 posts
3118 upvotes
LaLaLand
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
I have old blackberry bold phone with SIM card (pay as you go -rogers). If I buy iPhone (from bestbuy for example not from rogers or telus etc.) Can I use the SIM card I have now in the new iPhibe? My plan is to have a phone and for the internet I can use WiFi. Thank you very much,
You have to carefully cut it down to size and also sand down the thickness. The larger SIM is .76mm thick and the nano SIM is. 67mm thick.

I did it to one and it worked fine. It made the card somewhat translucent and you can see where the chip is imbedded,
bbf54c2bf97cff9b1c20810a93adcf87ab7b3db3-14.jpg

This was from a micro to nano SIM. I'm not sure if this can be done from a mini SIM to nano SIM.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1630 upvotes
0 downvotes
Special Note: do NOT I repeat do NOT cut your sim card, or even file it down, just spend the $5 or what ever and buy a NEW one of the right size, please please please follow this advise
Hi
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 23, 2020
42 posts
38 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: Special Note: do NOT I repeat do NOT cut your sim card, or even file it down, just spend the $5 or what ever and buy a NEW one of the right size, please please please follow this advise
Nice try, Robbers!
/s
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19894 posts
6076 upvotes
Toronto
It seems rather foolish to risk cutting a card to save $10 for a $1000 phone.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1630 upvotes
0 downvotes
EugW wrote: It seems rather foolish to risk cutting a card to save $10 for a $1000 phone.
I agree so I do not know why AbbyShabby called me Robbers? I do not work at a store and not robbing people of their $5 or $10 for a lowsy sim card
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1261 posts
1649 upvotes
Waterloo Region
GoodFellaz wrote: Special Note: do NOT I repeat do NOT cut your sim card, or even file it down, just spend the $5 or what ever and buy a NEW one of the right size, please please please follow this advise
+1
Others have highlighted the danger of a stuck SIM, for me it's just a waste of time, go to the store and ask for a new one, they should give it to you free, if not, whine about dropped calls and such, one of the ways they fix this is by swapping SIMs
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4850 posts
3118 upvotes
LaLaLand
GoodFellaz wrote: Special Note: do NOT I repeat do NOT cut your sim card, or even file it down, just spend the $5 or what ever and buy a NEW one of the right size, please please please follow this advise
LOL, YOU shouldn't do this. But others, feel free :rolleyes:

As long as you understand the size and thickness of the new SIM, and plan accordingly, it will be fine.
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 23, 2020
42 posts
38 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: I agree so I do not know why AbbyShabby called me Robbers? I do not work at a store and not robbing people of their $5 or $10 for a lowsy sim card
/s = sarcasm
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1630 upvotes
0 downvotes
AbbyShabby wrote: /s = sarcasm
and \s = get a new sim card

fo real just get a new one, a guy at my work DAMAGED his Sim reador because the extra thickness caused the pins to bend on the sim tray, he tried to be cheap and save what? 5-10 dollars and ended up paying $40 or $50 to a guy to repair the sim reador, and then he had to pay for a new sim on top of that, trust me, NOT WORTH IT, i repeat, NOT WORTH IT, just \s
Hi

Top