Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1001 posts
340 upvotes
MTL/TO

New Job offering me s10.. I have the 3XL

Starting a new job and they're offering me the Galaxy s10.

I have the pixel 3XL.

Debating if I should keep my phone or take theirs.

Obviously a free phone is good but I'm thinking if I keep my phone maybe I can get a better free option down the line...

Which phone is better? S10 or 3xl
9 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18873 posts
8518 upvotes
Oakville
If it's not a "now or never" situation, I'd stick with the Pixel personally. But that's just me.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Aug 25, 2010
95 posts
56 upvotes
"Better" is subjective, I believe they came out the same year and use the same QC chipset, so both pretty good phones. S10 (non +) will seem quite a bit smaller in comparison to your 3XL. Pixel will also have the latest SW updates, and there will likely be a lot of debate on which one has the better camera if that matters to you. Fingerprint unlock is also a big difference, whether you prefer it in screen (cool, but less accurate, more retries) vs in the back of the phone, but more accurate.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1463 posts
1603 upvotes
Toronto
Take their phone and use it for work. Keep your own phone for personal use.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12660 posts
2071 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
joshua18 wrote: Obviously a free phone is good but I'm thinking if I keep my phone maybe I can get a better free option down the line...
It's the phone by itself or is it a phone + phone line?
Big company or small company?

If it's a big company, I wouldn't count on you getting something extra/special if you pass on the offer now.
If it's a small company, where you talk to the owners on a regular basis, then maybe.
If it's a phone + phone line, they are probably offering you what the network offers them, so I wouldn't count on getting something extra/special next time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1001 posts
340 upvotes
MTL/TO
rabbit wrote: It's the phone by itself or is it a phone + phone line?
Big company or small company?

If it's a big company, I wouldn't count on you getting something extra/special if you pass on the offer now.
If it's a small company, where you talk to the owners on a regular basis, then maybe.
If it's a phone + phone line, they are probably offering you what the network offers them, so I wouldn't count on getting something extra/special next time.
Ya, line + phone. I took the s10
Nov 14, 2012
331 posts
159 upvotes
I had 2 google phones in my life, Nexus 4 and Pixel XL (the first gen) and I sworn to never ever get another phone made by or for Google. The problems were numerous, from major ones like "cannot turn my phone on at all" through "no sound after update", to "my battery life went from 3 days to 1 day after latest update", etc. When researching problems, Google has been sitting on known open issues for months or even years without addressing them. The quality assurance does not exist with google products, once they release new model, they abandon the old ones.

So if I were in your shoes, would go for Samsung.
Jun 4, 2013
532 posts
205 upvotes
Vancouver
ramon2 wrote: I had 2 google phones in my life, Nexus 4 and Pixel XL (the first gen) and I sworn to never ever get another phone made by or for Google. The problems were numerous, from major ones like "cannot turn my phone on at all" through "no sound after update", to "my battery life went from 3 days to 1 day after latest update", etc. When researching problems, Google has been sitting on known open issues for months or even years without addressing them. The quality assurance does not exist with google products, once they release new model, they abandon the old ones.

So if I were in your shoes, would go for Samsung.
Using the Pixel 3A XL now. Seems fine. No issue at all.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1310 posts
329 upvotes
Halifax
I had an S10, good phone. I would choose that over a 3XL, better screen, newer processor, more ram and expanded memory. As per Samsungs new policy, I think you'll get 3 software updates vs 2, not including the monthly security updates. But the downside is curved edges and in screen fingerprint sensor.