New Kodi streaming boxes for Kodi

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2017 3:22 pm
[OP]
Jan 14, 2005
340 posts
4 upvotes

New Kodi streaming boxes for Kodi

There are a lot of new media players on the market. Looking for any recommendations. I understand that nvidia shield is still the best and far and above the competition for 4k streaming, however the price tag is also much higher. I'm looking for octo core and at least 2gb of ram. I found this one but open to suggestions.

http://www.tomtop.com/smart-android-tv- ... 495us.html
9 replies
Oct 12, 2013
398 posts
156 upvotes
Surrey
The minix u1 is pretty good however Netflix is not HD
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3065 posts
574 upvotes
Any s905x box with 2gb is fine if you give up android and install libreelec. If you want HD Netflix its the shield, Mi box, or wetek hub/play2. Anyone that tells you otherwise does not know the full details regarding android DRM. Secondly if you want proper kodi support (HD audio passthrough) with Android you need android 5.0 but the firmware needs to have the fixes in place which may not be the case with cheap boxes so best to stick to official Android TV that will have support or get a cheap box for LE.

https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-release-candidate-1/
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1137 posts
204 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 7:30 pm
Any s905x box with 2gb is fine if you give up android and install libreelec. If you want HD Netflix its the shield, Mi box, or wetek hub/play2. Anyone that tells you otherwise does not know the full details regarding android DRM. Secondly if you want proper kodi support (HD audio passthrough) with Android you need android 5.0 but the firmware needs to have the fixes in place which may not be the case with cheap boxes so best to stick to official Android TV that will have support or get a cheap box for LE.

You've forgot the Amazon FireTV...
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7030 posts
1228 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 7:30 pm

You definitely have no idea on what the heck you're talking about, putting Android TV and Kodi in the same sentence already shows that !
You don't need Android TV in order to stream Netflix HD, the Wetek box is not Android TV !
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3065 posts
574 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 11:28 am
You definitely have no idea on what the heck you're talking about, putting Android TV and Kodi in the same sentence already shows that !
You don't need Android TV in order to stream Netflix HD, the Wetek box is not Android TV !
You are correct that Wetek is not Android TV, it is one of a few non Android TV box that has HD NETFLIX , so to say i have no idea what im talking about is a bit of a strech. The vast majority that are easily available from Amazon/******** will not support HD Netflix.

Kodi is better supported on Android TV boxes since they worked directly with Google to set a standard with Kodi 17, with the exceptions of Wetek and Minix who are Kodi sponsors and work with the kodi team. Buying a cheap noname box from Amazon and thinking it will fuction identical to Kodi supported hardware is misleading and for the coin one has to spend on Wetek or Minix might as well get a proper Android TV box.

A cheap Android box will work with Kodi that is true, but won't have proper HD audio passthough or other bugs. Plus i would not recommend signing into a cheap box who knows what back doors maybe in place such was the case with huawei a known brand. If you say I'm being paranoid sure better be safe than sorry, any company can do bad but these no name companies wont be held accountable. A cheap box is only good for LibreElec.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7030 posts
1228 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 5:56 pm
You are correct that Wetek is not Android TV, it is one of a few non Android TV box that has HD NETFLIX , so to say i have no idea what im talking about is a bit of a strech. The vast majority that are easily available from Amazon/******** will not support HD Netflix.

Kodi is better supported on Android TV boxes since they worked directly with Google to set a standard with Kodi 17, with the exceptions of Wetek and Minix who are Kodi sponsors and work with the kodi team. Buying a cheap noname box from Amazon and thinking it will fuction identical to Kodi supported hardware is misleading and for the coin one has to spend on Wetek or Minix might as well get a proper Android TV box.

A cheap Android box will work with Kodi that is true, but won't have proper HD audio passthough or other bugs. Plus i would not recommend signing into a cheap box who knows what back doors maybe in place such was the case with huawei a known brand. If you say I'm being paranoid sure better be safe than sorry, any company can do bad but these no name companies wont be held accountable. A cheap box is only good for LibreElec.
The problem with an Android TV box is that it is a crippled format allowing the user to only to install about 20% of the apps from the Play Store while you can install 99% of the apps with a mediaplayer for Android box.
MyGica boxes can also do Netflix HD like the Wetek, in fact MyGica works with Kodi's developers directly even though they are not a sponsor of Kodi.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2005
340 posts
4 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 7:34 pm
The problem with an Android TV box is that it is a crippled format allowing the user to only to install about 20% of the apps from the Play Store while you can install 99% of the apps with a mediaplayer for Android box.
MyGica boxes can also do Netflix HD like the Wetek, in fact MyGica works with Kodi's developers directly even though they are not a sponsor of Kodi.
This is exactly the problem that I have with my Android TV....I can't install all of the apps in the Google play store. Appreciate the recommendations. The Amazon fire tv seems like a top choice but not available in canada.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1137 posts
204 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
sketty55 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 2:38 pm
This is exactly the problem that I have with my Android TV....I can't install all of the apps in the Google play store. Appreciate the recommendations. The Amazon fire tv seems like a top choice but not available in canada.
You can order it at B&H Photo Video but need to add a $10 filler to get free shipping to Canada:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gen_2.html

I ordered it back when it was $99 and got it shipped for free... Great box BTW