Cell Phones

New from Koodo: Call Control (block robocalls)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 5:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1659 upvotes
Alberta

New from Koodo: Call Control (block robocalls)

Free, optional service.

Call Control helps reduce unwanted calls by prompting incoming callers to enter a randomly-generated number (0-9), which the caller must enter correctly before the call can be connected. Callers with no response (e.g. robo-dialers) or an incorrect response won’t be able to complete the call and will hear a standard Call Control message instead.

This feature also lets you manage preferences and maintain lists of Authorized and Blocked Callers.

Call Control FAQ

That'll cut down on the spam calls.
You can whitelist your contacts.
You can maintain a block list.

Set it up under Self Serve / Mobile Services.

Telus has Call Control too.
[external advertising link removed, do not repost]
26 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4476 posts
1779 upvotes
GTA
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it doesn't cause much of an issue with legitimate private number calls though. I guess that'll be situational. I'll give it a try.

I just turned it on and tested it on myself. You hear a message saying "This number has Call Control, please press 3".

I guess I'll keep it enabled for now and see how it goes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5537 posts
1928 upvotes
GTEH!
Thanks for letting us know this feature is now available.
😎
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21225 posts
2517 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, pretty cool!!

I'm on Telus and wifey is on Koodo....this will be handy....

Anyone know the #limit on the whitelist?

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4476 posts
1779 upvotes
GTA
ji2o0k wrote: Wow, pretty cool!!

I'm on Telus and wifey is on Koodo....this will be handy....

Anyone know the #limit on the whitelist?
25 numbers each for blocklist and whitelist. Doesn't seem like much. But apparently numbers that answer correctly aren't prompted again if they're regular callers

So far, the only robo-call I can think of that would be legitimate is the Costco pharmacy. I usually get notification calls for prescriptions that are ready. So that's a heads up for some who need that number whitelisted too.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19935 posts
5315 upvotes
Off the 404
Nice, mixed with Google's Call Screening, I think robocalls are now dead.
Nov 16, 2014
183 posts
75 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
Can't find it for Prepaid.
Mar 6, 2017
28 posts
5 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: So far, the only robo-call I can think of that would be legitimate is the Costco pharmacy.
Koodo Callback?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1123 posts
893 upvotes
Calgary
Dave98 wrote: So far, the only robo-call I can think of that would be legitimate is the Costco pharmacy. I usually get notification calls for prescriptions that are ready. So that's a heads up for some who need that number whitelisted too.
Some banks will do an automated call to verify transactions are legitimate (RBC comes to mind). I have an overseas bank account that will also call me when setting up a new payment to a new payee online.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1489 posts
1596 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Nice, mixed with Google's Call Screening, I think robocalls are now dead.
i can see this call control being bypassed really easily eventually. Hey at least they are trying.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1447 posts
2099 upvotes
Toronto
senior citizens will benefit from this. it's these people who are easily duped by robocalls spoofing and lose their savings to these scammers
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1079 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
Was anyone actually able to activate this?

When I log into my account and click on "Start using call control" the page just refreshes and does nothing -_-
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4476 posts
1779 upvotes
GTA
chillychin wrote: Was anyone actually able to activate this?

When I log into my account and click on "Start using call control" the page just refreshes and does nothing -_-
Keep trying I guess. Koodo/Public Mobiles sites have always been garbage.

I have it activated and it seems to work okay so far. I had it block a robocall earlier. The status on the site will say "Failed screening"
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1079 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
I log in

Go to Self Serve -> Mobile services -> Scroll down to Call control "Manage"

I see this screen
call control.jpg
I click on "Start Call Control"

Screen refreshes and I see the exact same thing - No toggle or anything

For the past 5 years I have had countless collections agencies calling me to look for a "Shyvonne Lawrence", I get left voice mails, texts calls etc.

Usually I block the number, then they started leaving voice mails.

A few times I called them back and told them there is no Shyvonne Lawrence here - They ask how long have I had this number, and I said since 1999 - So Im pretty sure its not linked to anyone else.

I told them if you dont believe there is no Shyvonne Lawrence here, can you please just send her a letter, send her file to the CRA or do whatever needs to be done to the full extent just stop calling me.

A few times it stops for a while, then some other collections agency starts calling up again - I would LOVE to have them stop calling me
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2031 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Does the web interface have a log of blocked calls?

I personally love Google Screen Calling. What is funny is Spam call blocker built in to Google Pixel Phone. When I called my own number using Google Hangout Dialer or dialer from Gmail, Google Pixel Spam call blocker will block it. haha