Cell Phones

New from Koodo: Call Control (block robocalls)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 5:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2106 upvotes
Alberta

New from Koodo: Call Control (block robocalls)

Free, optional service.

Call Control helps reduce unwanted calls by prompting incoming callers to enter a randomly-generated number (0-9), which the caller must enter correctly before the call can be connected. Callers with no response (e.g. robo-dialers) or an incorrect response won’t be able to complete the call and will hear a standard Call Control message instead.

This feature also lets you manage preferences and maintain lists of Authorized and Blocked Callers.


Call Control FAQ

That'll cut down on the spam calls.
You can whitelist your contacts.
You can maintain a block list.

Set it up under Self Serve / Mobile Services.

Image
Telus has Call Control too.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
5004 posts
2432 upvotes
GTA
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it doesn't cause much of an issue with legitimate private number calls though. I guess that'll be situational. I'll give it a try.

I just turned it on and tested it on myself. You hear a message saying "This number has Call Control, please press 3".

I guess I'll keep it enabled for now and see how it goes
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
6789 posts
3187 upvotes
West GTEH!
Thanks for letting us know this feature is now available.
😎
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
22590 posts
3870 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, pretty cool!!

I'm on Telus and wifey is on Koodo....this will be handy....

Anyone know the #limit on the whitelist?

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
5004 posts
2432 upvotes
GTA
ji2o0k wrote: Wow, pretty cool!!

I'm on Telus and wifey is on Koodo....this will be handy....

Anyone know the #limit on the whitelist?
25 numbers each for blocklist and whitelist. Doesn't seem like much. But apparently numbers that answer correctly aren't prompted again if they're regular callers


So far, the only robo-call I can think of that would be legitimate is the Costco pharmacy. I usually get notification calls for prescriptions that are ready. So that's a heads up for some who need that number whitelisted too.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20448 posts
5882 upvotes
GTA
Nice, mixed with Google's Call Screening, I think robocalls are now dead.
Member
Nov 16, 2014
202 posts
83 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
Can't find it for Prepaid.
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 6, 2017
36 posts
6 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: So far, the only robo-call I can think of that would be legitimate is the Costco pharmacy.
Koodo Callback?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1266 posts
1095 upvotes
Calgary
Dave98 wrote: So far, the only robo-call I can think of that would be legitimate is the Costco pharmacy. I usually get notification calls for prescriptions that are ready. So that's a heads up for some who need that number whitelisted too.
Some banks will do an automated call to verify transactions are legitimate (RBC comes to mind). I have an overseas bank account that will also call me when setting up a new payment to a new payee online.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2016
1629 posts
1693 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Nice, mixed with Google's Call Screening, I think robocalls are now dead.
i can see this call control being bypassed really easily eventually. Hey at least they are trying.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3944 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
senior citizens will benefit from this. it's these people who are easily duped by robocalls spoofing and lose their savings to these scammers
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
1156 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
Was anyone actually able to activate this?

When I log into my account and click on "Start using call control" the page just refreshes and does nothing -_-
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
5004 posts
2432 upvotes
GTA
chillychin wrote: Was anyone actually able to activate this?

When I log into my account and click on "Start using call control" the page just refreshes and does nothing -_-
Keep trying I guess. Koodo/Public Mobiles sites have always been garbage.

I have it activated and it seems to work okay so far. I had it block a robocall earlier. The status on the site will say "Failed screening"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
1156 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
I log in

Go to Self Serve -> Mobile services -> Scroll down to Call control "Manage"

I see this screen
call control.jpg
I click on "Start Call Control"

Screen refreshes and I see the exact same thing - No toggle or anything

For the past 5 years I have had countless collections agencies calling me to look for a "Shyvonne Lawrence", I get left voice mails, texts calls etc.

Usually I block the number, then they started leaving voice mails.

A few times I called them back and told them there is no Shyvonne Lawrence here - They ask how long have I had this number, and I said since 1999 - So Im pretty sure its not linked to anyone else.

I told them if you dont believe there is no Shyvonne Lawrence here, can you please just send her a letter, send her file to the CRA or do whatever needs to be done to the full extent just stop calling me.

A few times it stops for a while, then some other collections agency starts calling up again - I would LOVE to have them stop calling me
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2002
2042 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Does the web interface have a log of blocked calls?

I personally love Google Screen Calling. What is funny is Spam call blocker built in to Google Pixel Phone. When I called my own number using Google Hangout Dialer or dialer from Gmail, Google Pixel Spam call blocker will block it. haha
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2002
2042 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
chillychin wrote: I log in

Go to Self Serve -> Mobile services -> Scroll down to Call control "Manage"

I see this screen

call control.jpg

I click on "Start Call Control"

Screen refreshes and I see the exact same thing - No toggle or anything

For the past 5 years I have had countless collections agencies calling me to look for a "Shyvonne Lawrence", I get left voice mails, texts calls etc.

Usually I block the number, then they started leaving voice mails.

A few times I called them back and told them there is no Shyvonne Lawrence here - They ask how long have I had this number, and I said since 1999 - So Im pretty sure its not linked to anyone else.

I told them if you dont believe there is no Shyvonne Lawrence here, can you please just send her a letter, send her file to the CRA or do whatever needs to be done to the full extent just stop calling me.

A few times it stops for a while, then some other collections agency starts calling up again - I would LOVE to have them stop calling me
Are you still receiving calls from collection agency(s) ?

You need to report every single one of them to BBB. Every single one.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
5004 posts
2432 upvotes
GTA
chillychin wrote: I log in

Go to Self Serve -> Mobile services -> Scroll down to Call control "Manage"

I see this screen
call control.jpg
I click on "Start Call Control"

Screen refreshes and I see the exact same thing - No toggle or anything
Try a different browser or login on your phone to see if it makes a difference.
xxgg wrote: Does the web interface have a log of blocked calls?

Yes. Although it seems buggy. From my experience so far, calls that come through will be listed twice. One will say "Authorized" but then it will also come up a second time and say "Blocked" for whatever reason.

A robo call that doesn't get through will say "Failed screening"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
1156 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
xxgg wrote: Are you still receiving calls from collection agency(s) ?

You need to report every single one of them to BBB. Every single one.
Good lord yes I still get calls from collection agencies

Initially I told them nicely theres no one here called Shyvonne Lawrence. Fast forward 5 years - YES 5 years I STILL get calls from them

I just tell them theres no one here by that name, stop calling me - If you want, put a strike against Shyvonne or whatever and do whatever you need to do to the fullest!

It stops for a bit then starts right back up, I once asked them why do they still call when I told them repeatedly theres no one here by that name.

Apparently different collection agencies get the job to collect, so the record just keeps getting passed around forever............no idea how I can get off this stupid list.

All because some idiot isnt paying their bills.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2010
1156 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
Dave98 wrote: Try a different browser or login on your phone to see if it makes a difference.




Yes. Although it seems buggy. From my experience so far, calls that come through will be listed twice. One will say "Authorized" but then it will also come up a second time and say "Blocked" for whatever reason.

A robo call that doesn't get through will say "Failed screening"
I tried on Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge, Samsung Browser and Dolphin browser (last two on my phone) - None work, the screen just refreshes

Also tried to contact koodo, but of course they are experiencing higher then normal call volumes!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 15, 2013
1546 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
Missed today's mattress delivery because of this feature, the driver called twice and didn't understand it. I'm turning it off and never using again, the Truecaller app solution is better imo.

Top