Automotive

New Nevada law makes it illegal to drive below speed limit in left lane

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2017 12:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5966 posts
2173 upvotes
Mort Réal

New Nevada law makes it illegal to drive below speed limit in left lane

Nevada joins other states including Tennessee, Florida, New Jersey, Georgia, and Indiana in adding a “slow poke” law.

Here's the article from KTNV:

A new law in Nevada says drivers can get a ticket for going too slow in the left lane.

13 Action News went on a ride with a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper to see how the new law works.

While speeding is definitely still an issue in Las Vegas and on many highways in the state and country, NHP says the No. 1 driving issue that causes the most road rage is when people hog the passing lane.

But as of July 1, there are special rules for that left lane.

"It's law here that if you're gonna be in that lane, you need to be going at least the speed limit," said Trooper Jason Buratczuk.

And if you're not, you could get pulled over, like Spencer Nead did.

Buratczuk clocked Nead going as slow as 59 miles per hour in a 65 mph zone, causing a couple people to pass him on the right side.

"You'll never see me going below the speed limit in that lane again because I get annoyed by people driving that slow," Nead said.

Buratzcuk notes that he's not telling people to speed but rather do the speed limit.

NHP reminds drivers the main reason for the new law is to keep traffic flowing steadily and hopefully eliminate road rage incidents.
So far, three people in Nevada have been cited with breaking the new law. First offenses cost $50, second $100 and third $250
I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. Therefore, I'm thirsty for deals on durable goods.
18 replies
Sr. Member
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
383 upvotes
Markham, ON
WHO wrote: law makes it illegal to drive below speed limit in left lane
This is such a horrible way to word it. :facepalm:
What happens if the road condition is not good? I am sure there are rules in the law citing "condition permitting", but it is just going to get confusing with a lot of different "opinions" as to what that condition means.

Also, a lot of slowpoke aren't going below the speed limit. They are going at exactly the speed limit but the traffic is moving 20+km/h faster.
Going 100km/h on the left lane on a clear hwy401 is still going to make a lot of people rage.


Why can't they just make it a law that LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY. (And actually enforce the rule!)
That's how it is in many asian countries. If you are cruising on the fast lane (right lane for most of asia), you will get ticketed regardless if there are traffic nearby or whether you are going below or above the speed limit. (I sat in my uncle car while he got a ticket for speeding and failure to move out of the passing lane lol)

Once you passed the vehicles you move back to the right/middle lane.
Make it a 30 sec rule. If you are on the left lane for more than 30 seconds not passing anyone, you get a ticket. (Even if it is because there is a car next to you doing same speed, since you obviously not going faster than him, your option should be to slow down and get behind the other car on the slower lane and free up the passing lane for others.)
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
135 upvotes
Americans mostly never hog left lane. Americans follow left lane for passing only. I find Americans to be very courteous drivers. Canadians are mostly impatient and ********.

Whats really funny is when everyone on an American highway following speed and keeping right, you will suddenly notice a retard with an Ontario plate continuously driving on a left lane. lmao
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1979 posts
502 upvotes
m4r 1k8
pinkdonut wrote: This is such a horrible way to word it. :facepalm:
What happens if the road condition is not good? I am sure there are rules in the law citing "condition permitting", but it is just going to get confusing with a lot of different "opinions" as to what that condition means.

Also, a lot of slowpoke aren't going below the speed limit. They are going at exactly the speed limit but the traffic is moving 20+km/h faster.
Going 100km/h on the left lane on a clear hwy401 is still going to make a lot of people rage.


Why can't they just make it a law that LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY. (And actually enforce the rule!)
That's how it is in many asian countries. If you are cruising on the fast lane (right lane for most of asia), you will get ticketed regardless if there are traffic nearby or whether you are going below or above the speed limit. (I sat in my uncle car while he got a ticket for speeding and failure to move out of the passing lane lol)

Once you passed the vehicles you move back to the right/middle lane.
Make it a 30 sec rule. If you are on the left lane for more than 30 seconds not passing anyone, you get a ticket. (Even if it is because there is a car next to you doing same speed, since you obviously not going faster than him, your option should be to slow down and get behind the other car on the slower lane and free up the passing lane for others.)
then how come asians hog the left lane in NA going 50 km/h in their c63s amg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5625 posts
1164 upvotes
Crixus45 wrote: Americans mostly never hog left lane. Americans follow left lane for passing only. I find Americans to be very courteous drivers. Canadians are mostly impatient and ********.

Whats really funny is when everyone on an American highway following speed and keeping right, you will suddenly notice a retard with an Ontario plate continuously driving on a left lane. lmao
To be fair this is mainly a city thing. I find when driving on the more rural highways around the country people are great, but in around the GTA any lane is the lane people choose to drive because of congestion.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3779 posts
913 upvotes
They should the same here in Ontario.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
47406 posts
10654 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
EEE2 wrote: They should the same here in Ontario.
People are actually pretty good about it outside of the GTA... Even driving to kingston, once you pass Oshawa... Everyone drives orderly to the right. PEople pass on the left. IF you tail gate someone on the left... They move over.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17330 posts
7880 upvotes
pinkdonut wrote: This is such a horrible way to word it. :facepalm:
What happens if the road condition is not good? I am sure there are rules in the law citing "condition permitting", but it is just going to get confusing with a lot of different "opinions" as to what that condition means.

Also, a lot of slowpoke aren't going below the speed limit. They are going at exactly the speed limit but the traffic is moving 20+km/h faster.
Going 100km/h on the left lane on a clear hwy401 is still going to make a lot of people rage.


Why can't they just make it a law that LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY. (And actually enforce the rule!)
That's how it is in many asian countries. If you are cruising on the fast lane (right lane for most of asia), you will get ticketed regardless if there are traffic nearby or whether you are going below or above the speed limit. (I sat in my uncle car while he got a ticket for speeding and failure to move out of the passing lane lol)

Once you passed the vehicles you move back to the right/middle lane.
Make it a 30 sec rule. If you are on the left lane for more than 30 seconds not passing anyone, you get a ticket. (Even if it is because there is a car next to you doing same speed, since you obviously not going faster than him, your option should be to slow down and get behind the other car on the slower lane and free up the passing lane for others.)
When dealing with traffic congestion issues designating a single lane for "passing only" is incredibly inefficient and contributes greatly to gridlock. The most efficient and safest way is to have all cars traveling at about the same speed. The GTA has some incredibly busy roads and removing an entire lane by designating it as "passing" will only make congestion worse.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1562 posts
190 upvotes
Oakville
UrbanPoet wrote: People are actually pretty good about it outside of the GTA... Even driving to kingston, once you pass Oshawa... Everyone drives orderly to the right. PEople pass on the left. IF you tail gate someone on the left... They move over.
Ehm... Is KW area is a part of GTA? Because lots of people on 401 would not. Smiling Face With Horns
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
Crixus45 wrote: Americans mostly never hog left lane. Americans follow left lane for passing only. I find Americans to be very courteous drivers. Canadians are mostly impatient and ********.

Whats really funny is when everyone on an American highway following speed and keeping right, you will suddenly notice a retard with an Ontario plate continuously driving on a left lane. lmao
Driving in most of the rest of Canada the left lane is mostly empty too. It's an Ontario thing. Still get the odd idiot but it's nowhere near as bad.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15191 posts
9685 upvotes
Toronto
Crixus45 wrote: Americans mostly never hog left lane. Americans follow left lane for passing only. I find Americans to be very courteous drivers. Canadians are mostly impatient and ********.

Whats really funny is when everyone on an American highway following speed and keeping right, you will suddenly notice a retard with an Ontario plate continuously driving on a left lane. lmao
Best quote is best. Upvoted.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5625 posts
1164 upvotes
KosMos wrote: Ehm... Is KW area is a part of GTA? Because lots of people on 401 would not. Smiling Face With Horns
I'm in Toronto and my GF lives in Kitchener.

Drive can be pretty heavy but usually levels out past Milton. People generally courteous but I can say as soon as you pass K-W exists and keep driving towards Woodstock / London the roads open up and people drive a lot more sensible with regards to lane choices
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12228 posts
4664 upvotes
Toronto
Driving limit on our HWY is 100km/hr
it doesn't help much.....those driving at 100 or 105km/hr still jamming the left lane for no reason.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5966 posts
2173 upvotes
Mort Réal
I agree that the law should be, as it is in most States, more clear such as "Left lane is for passing only". Most places that don't necessarily have laws at least have signs that read something like "slower traffic keep right".

I dunno why they would explain it so oddly. It doesn't make sense to explain it as "you're not allowed to go under the PSL in the left lane" because that would automatically mean you must go exactly the PSL. That's just weird.

But, I applaud the "spirit" of the law. We need something like this in QC, for sure. Over here, for some reason, slower traffic often feel like they're like sheriffs of the road. When you approach from behind, faster, and you flash your high beams or waive them to yield, they either slow down even more or worse, brake check you. That doesn't make any sense, it's dangerous and creates road rage for nothing. They need to be taught to share the road. So what if I want to go faster than them? They have police and photo radar to enforce the speed, no need for those losers to feel like they own the road and are allowed to control traffic. Have them learn the lesson.
I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. Therefore, I'm thirsty for deals on durable goods.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9298 posts
6711 upvotes
Kootenays
Keep right except to pass is the law in BC and NS.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5966 posts
2173 upvotes
Mort Réal
smacd wrote: Keep right except to pass is the law in BC and NS.
That would be great, as long as they actually enforce it. Most cops are just hidden away with their radar gun rather than patrolling the roads to make them safer.
I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. Therefore, I'm thirsty for deals on durable goods.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17330 posts
7880 upvotes
WHO wrote: But, I applaud the "spirit" of the law. We need something like this in QC, for sure. Over here, for some reason, slower traffic often feel like they're like sheriffs of the road. When you approach from behind, faster, and you flash your high beams or waive them to yield, they either slow down even more or worse, brake check you. That doesn't make any sense, it's dangerous and creates road rage for nothing. They need to be taught to share the road. So what if I want to go faster than them? They have police and photo radar to enforce the speed, no need for those losers to feel like they own the road and are allowed to control traffic. Have them learn the lesson.
You do realize that you are also acting like the "sheriff of the road" with trying to bully them out of your way. Why not let the police deal with them and enforce the laws in place? If you do not like the laws in place, campaign for new laws that meet your point of view. But until then you do not have the right to try and force your idea of courtesy on them.

Neither side is practicing safe driving, yet both sides insist they are. If it wasn't so sad at the blindness being exhibited it would be comical.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
473 upvotes
Crixus45 wrote: Americans mostly never hog left lane. Americans follow left lane for passing only. I find Americans to be very courteous drivers.
Have you been to Nevada or Arizona lately? Definitely not the case down there, I can see why they've implemented this law.

Top