• May 1st, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1451 posts
116 upvotes

New or Old plates?

Have an old car which I'm looking to replace, but still need it to look for its replacement. Its sticker is expiring soon, and I'll need a new one. Wondering when buying a used car can I use the old plates with the paid sticker on it? Or does the dealership issue new plates/sticker when buying a used car from a Honda dealership?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4016 posts
1645 upvotes
Toronto
The dealer will do the transfer of the old plate. Costs $40.

If you are buying private in Ontario, you do the same and pay transfer fee at MTO.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1451 posts
116 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote:
May 1st, 2019 10:45 am
The dealer will do the transfer of the old plate. Costs $40.

If you are buying private in Ontario, you do the same and pay transfer fee at MTO.
From ontario.ca, "Licence plate (new and replacement), with permit: $59". This also be the price dealership charges for new plates?

So If I'd use my previous plates, would the dealership simply set a date of the transfer, and I'd just bring my old plates and install them on the new car? Guess the new car would have to have insurance, before the dealership can transfer the plates?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4016 posts
1645 upvotes
Toronto
reggyDeal wrote:
May 1st, 2019 10:57 am
From ontario.ca, "Licence plate (new and replacement), with permit: $59". This also be the price dealership charges for new plates?

So If I'd use my previous plates, would the dealership simply set a date of the transfer, and I'd just bring my old plates and install them on the new car? Guess the new car would have to have insurance, before the dealership can transfer the plates?
Does your old plate have valid sticker?

When you buy new or use car from a dealer, they will charge you whatever MTO charges back to you, some stealership will add extra legwork fee. In order to pickup your new/used car, they will ask you to email/fax insurance detail to them.

Last Oct, they charged me $40 to transfer old plates to the new car. Maybe price went up to $59.