• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 9:44 am
[OP]
Dec 28, 2004
310 posts
55 upvotes

New Ontario license plate

What do you guys think?
I read that there is savings, more durable and less wasted materials?
But the way i see it, Ford just gave a new manufacturing company some business and screwed the current plate manufacturer.
Lets see:
1. Savings perhaps since it may cost a bit less to make but the cost assist in setting up the infrastructures to make it will cost money compared to whatever that is there already.
2. More durable, it may be a bit more durable than the last fiasco where they were cutting corners to make it cheaper. Since it is not embossed (raised letters) once the coloured sticker that is covering the aluminium is worn off then it is useless.
3. Less materials? The size is suppose to be smaller and meeting standard plate size across NA. However, they still refuse to eliminate the front plate when majority of NA got rid of it.

At least this venture did what the new slogan is saying Open for Business and Place to grow for someone's pocket.
Thread Summary
729 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38216 posts
24393 upvotes
Center of Universe
Doesn't bother me.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
What do I think? Why does a new plate bother people? Got nothing else to worry or spend time working on?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19321 posts
3007 upvotes
Woodbridge
Does this mean if you have Personalized Plates, they'll replace it. LOL

Two of three are damage, worn.

I don't really care either way I just want brand new plates. They're charging $100 for replacement.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4097 posts
265 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
New plates are seriously ugly. I live in the middle of nowhere, I can't wait to see one eventually.
Traveling 😁
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9195 upvotes
The NORTH
Haven't seen them yet. Did they go with the absolutely stupid 'open for business' that moron, I mean ford wanted to?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2079 posts
1380 upvotes
Durham
kr0zet wrote: Haven't seen them yet. Did they go with the absolutely stupid 'open for business' that moron, I mean ford wanted to?
I saw that they are hitting the Service Ontario offices now. Says "A Place to Grow"
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes
My plate lasted for 20 years and it is still in mint condition, how durable does he want it to be?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9195 upvotes
The NORTH
Kkhan15 wrote: I saw that they are hitting the Service Ontario offices now. Says "A Place to Grow"
Thanks
Nov 13, 2013
112 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my new 'old' plates today, my service Ontario office said they are still using the old design . I'm actually glad as I prefer the old design.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4101 posts
2121 upvotes
Niagara
Is this the new plate? Yikes. Why can't it be a simple white plate?
l.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6276 posts
3036 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Samuro wrote: My plate lasted for 20 years and it is still in mint condition, how durable does he want it to be?
The plates from ~10 years ago (around the start of the "B"s) have a coloured enamel over the metal plate, rather than it being painted. They peel horribly after a few years of weather exposure. Presumably they've managed to improve the design & manufacturing so that doesn't happen again, but only time will tell.

I'd rather they go back to plates like yours, stamped and painted.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15090 upvotes
GTA, ON
No point complaining about it now, it's a done deal. The time to complain was ages ago when they first introduced them as the proposed updated plates.

Do I hate the new look? Yes, I do.
Is there anything I can do about it though? No, so there is no point huffing and puffing about it.
Do I still think Ford is an idiot? Yes.
Is there anything I can do about it? No... not at least until the next election.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15090 upvotes
GTA, ON
If anyone picks up the new plate, give us feedback on it's attributes. Does it still reflect all light? Would love it if my dash cam could actually read plates at night.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4007 posts
2868 upvotes
Kitchener
hieppo wrote: What do you guys think?
I read that there is savings, more durable and less wasted materials?
But the way i see it, Ford just gave a new manufacturing company some business and screwed the current plate manufacturer.
Lets see:
1. Savings perhaps since it may cost a bit less to make but the cost assist in setting up the infrastructures to make it will cost money compared to whatever that is there already.
2. More durable, it may be a bit more durable than the last fiasco where they were cutting corners to make it cheaper. Since it is not embossed (raised letters) once the coloured sticker that is covering the aluminium is worn off then it is useless.
3. Less materials? The size is suppose to be smaller and meeting standard plate size across NA. However, they still refuse to eliminate the front plate when majority of NA got rid of it.

At least this venture did what the new slogan is saying Open for Business and Place to grow for someone's pocket.
I like the new plates, and I am glad they got a redesign. Sorry, but the blue on white was ugly and very dated (going back to 1973, I believe, with new motto in 1982 and new font in 1996, I believe). Either way, I call the office tomorrow to make sure they have some in before I waste my time waiting in line.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12348 posts
2526 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mike15 wrote: The plates from ~10 years ago (around the start of the "B"s) have a coloured enamel over the metal plate, rather than it being painted. They peel horribly after a few years of weather exposure. Presumably they've managed to improve the design & manufacturing so that doesn't happen again, but only time will tell.

I'd rather they go back to plates like yours, stamped and painted.
Not sure if my plates are from the bad era, but I've used clear plastic covers for them since the start, and they're still in perfect condition. The cover also makes it much easier to clean off ice and snow.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19731 posts
23142 upvotes
GTA
chimaican wrote: If anyone picks up the new plate, give us feedback on it's attributes. Does it still reflect all light? Would love it if my dash cam could actually read plates at night.
Would be a major fail if it didn't reflect all light. Cops count on the reflectivity for their speed guns.

Also, I bet all of the 407 cameras, red light cameras, and automatic plate readers on cop cars will have to be recalibrated at someone's cost.
They will probably have to take multiple photos at various brightness levels to get a good exposure.

They're gonna look like out of province plates from a distance for a while.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8623 posts
5552 upvotes
Mississauga
kr0zet wrote: Haven't seen them yet. Did they go with the absolutely stupid 'open for business' that moron, I mean ford wanted to?
I remember reading somewhere that the commercial plates (the currently black-on-white ones) will have that slogan, whereas the private vehicle plates will have “A Place to Grow”.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
4101 posts
2121 upvotes
Niagara
Has there been any mention of an updated green plate?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)