Home & Garden

New Outlet Sockets, why are they all Tamper Resistant (TR) now?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2016 7:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge

New Outlet Sockets, why are they all Tamper Resistant (TR) now?

Moved into a house recently, and most of the outlets were changed over to the Decorator/Decora style, just one room was not changed over not sure why but I'm guessing the prev home owner probably ran out of time? The existing Decora outlets are the standard ones, that do NOT have Tamper Resistant feature so I am hoping to aquire a few more to finish the house, but I noticed Home Depot ONLY SELLS TAMPER RESISTANT ONES. What do I do? I don't want to mix and match them it kinda defeats the purpose, no? If my kid trys to stick an object in the tamper resistant ones but is unsuccessful, they will just try the same thing in another room where the outlets are not tamper resistant and get electrocuted, no?

I want the house to be consistant so any place in the GTA sells non tamper resistant outlets? if Im worried about my kid sticking something inside I will buy those plastic plug protectors you stick in the outlets.
Thanks
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6043 posts
1533 upvotes
TR is the new standard and it's the law, so why sell outdated materials? If you don't want TR plugs that badly, maybe swap with a friend?
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
if the law why does it not apply to older outlets?

so if I fixed my house up in january bought a bunch of outlets, then took a break and did some in february and went to buy them and they were TR? that kinda sucks, its kinda half ass no?
Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20030 posts
7386 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I have some old style i've had kicking around for years and your welcome to them, i have no objection to tamper resistant in exchange (i get better outlets and you get worse ones). However i suspect we do not live in the same city.
Why would you want riskier outlets just so you can buy plastic guards which are less convenient?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
thanks for the offer but I will just stick with the new Tampar resistant ones, was just having a fit thats all
Thanks
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
they started this 3 years ago, thats when I changed all the plugs in my house.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2204 posts
1432 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Just like Quentin5 I too have some of the old decora style in white. All from bulk purchase 10 years ago you're welcome to them.

If you want to pay extra you might be able to find/purchase the old style from a marine supply house as the electrical code does not apply to a vessel or take a trip to the U.S.A. I see HD in the U.S.A. sells the old style and they are even CSA listed.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
thanks for the offers but I DONT NEED THEM no more I changed my mind
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8710 posts
5091 upvotes
ON
Quentin5 wrote: I have some old style i've had kicking around for years and your welcome to them, i have no objection to tamper resistant in exchange (i get better outlets and you get worse ones). However i suspect we do not live in the same city.
Why would you want riskier outlets just so you can buy plastic guards which are less convenient?
Did you ever try to plug something in them as compared to the old style ? They're a POS design and if built better I'd have no issues with TR plugs.