Home & Garden

New outside vent for kitchen fan exhaust.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2022 11:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3518 posts
999 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

New outside vent for kitchen fan exhaust.

With the storm last week i noticed a definite draft coming into the house from my kitchen fan exhaust. I looked outside and i guess my 21 year old vent cover has seen better days.

Is there a really good or best option for kitchen fan exhaust vent covers? i could just go get whatever home depot has that is similar to mine but if there is something better than builder default i'd love to get it instead.

14 replies
Aug 18, 2005
400 posts
66 upvotes
Replaced our range hood last year (including the exhaust vent from a 6" to an 8") and ended up getting this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Reversomatic-Heav ... 17&sr=8-19

They're based on Vaughan, so I actually just went to their location to purchase since it wasn't available on their Amazon site. Think it came out to around $60 bucks. All metal.

Much better quality than the Home Depot stuff (and HD also didn't have 8" available).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6417 posts
3005 upvotes
Durham
Kevinck wrote: With the storm last week i noticed a definite draft coming into the house from my kitchen fan exhaust. I looked outside and i guess my 21 year old vent cover has seen better days.

Is there a really good or best option for kitchen fan exhaust vent covers? i could just go get whatever home depot has that is similar to mine but if there is something better than builder default i'd love to get it instead.

Home Depot
Lowes
Rona
Canadian Tire
Home Hardware

Check them all out online and see first.

It's very simple to swap out.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jul 29, 2006
552 posts
740 upvotes
Ottawa
If you can find the exact same vent, the louvres could be swapped out versus replacing the entire unit. This is assuming the main housing is still solid. Check to see if caulking is solid as well and replace in warmer weather if required.

I ended up replacing mine with the unit in the link below as mine is on a wall with a lot of wind on occasion and the original vent's plastic louvres would constantly flap.

Exhaust Hood
Nov 30, 2015
440 posts
229 upvotes
GTA, ON
I have this 6" vent from Home Depot.

Seems they have different sizes (4, 5, 6"). It's heavy duty and well made. You can spray paint it to match the siding so it's not so obvious.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3518 posts
999 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
congo wrote:
I ended up replacing mine with the unit in the link below as mine is on a wall with a lot of wind on occasion and the original vent's plastic louvres would constantly flap.

Exhaust Hood
These covered versions look like they'd be always superior to mine with the multiple small louvres. Is there any downside to the covered versions ?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4723 posts
4223 upvotes
Toronto
For my 8 inch kitchen vent I used a galvanized model from Luxury Metals. Don't waste your time with imported or plastic crap for a kitchen vent that spews hot greasy air.

https://luxurymetals.com/
Jul 29, 2006
552 posts
740 upvotes
Ottawa
Kevinck wrote: These covered versions look like they'd be always superior to mine with the multiple small louvres. Is there any downside to the covered versions ?
Mine has been up for several years and working well. You will see some reviews about a clunk. On very windy days, I mine still makes some banging sounds but I believe it is actually air escaping the vent from inside the house as a result of pressure caused from other vents letting air in, like the furnace fresh air intake.
May 21, 2002
414 posts
99 upvotes
kevin_ wrote: Replaced our range hood last year (including the exhaust vent from a 6" to an 8") and ended up getting this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Reversomatic-Heav ... 17&sr=8-19

They're based on Vaughan, so I actually just went to their location to purchase since it wasn't available on their Amazon site. Think it came out to around $60 bucks. All metal.

Much better quality than the Home Depot stuff (and HD also didn't have 8" available).
I also ordered/installed one of these recently and am very impressed by the quality for the money

Years back I installed one at another home that was bought locally for twice the cost and it was terrible quality in comparison
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3518 posts
999 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Uhoh. How do you shroud one of these on vinyl siding? I did end up cutting away the shrouding material to remove the old one which might have been my big mistake.. If i pull on the siding i can see that the original shroud was installed before the siding as there's no other way it could have been nailed like it is.

So now that i'm here..... what do i do? I could just install the new one and then fill in all the exposed area with caulk/foam. it would look ghetto and i'm not absolutely sure it would be water tight. Surely there has to be a better way.

Pictures are of the original vent and shrouding. The hole after shrouding and old vent removed (i did not cut any siding, just the shroud) with an outline of what the new vent will cover. And the new vent.

ventquestion.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2093 posts
1178 upvotes
Oakville
Kevinck wrote: Uhoh. How do you shroud one of these on vinyl siding? I did end up cutting away the shrouding material to remove the old one which might have been my big mistake.. If i pull on the siding i can see that the original shroud was installed before the siding as there's no other way it could have been nailed like it is.

So now that i'm here..... what do i do? I could just install the new one and then fill in all the exposed area with caulk/foam. it would look ghetto and i'm not absolutely sure it would be water tight. Surely there has to be a better way.

Pictures are of the original vent and shrouding. The hole after shrouding and old vent removed (i did not cut any siding, just the shroud) with an outline of what the new vent will cover. And the new vent.

ventquestion.jpg
What you called shrouding and cut away was actually a J-Channel that finished the edge of the siding, so you will need to buy new J-Channel.

Google videos on installing J-Channel siding around openings.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3518 posts
999 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
cba123 wrote:
What you called shrouding and cut away was actually a J-Channel that finished the edge of the siding, so you will need to buy new J-Channel.

Google videos on installing J-Channel siding around openings.
stevo88 wrote: Vinyl blocks also work great for finishing the edges of siding for penetrations like vents, lights and hose bibs

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/novik- ... 1001580754
Thanks both. That gives me two viable options. I will look into them.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4723 posts
4223 upvotes
Toronto
The new vent cover should not have any pipe attached to it.

Take the opportunity to shoot some spray foam in the wall around that vent, get some Tuck tape and cover up any exposed wood etc. Then ideally a vent cover with a bit of flashing around it, then the J channel on top taking care to install it properly so water sheds off to the side when it hits the top section of channel. You don't want water infiltrating behind the siding.

I'm sure there are 1000 videos on YouTube showing how to install a vent cover and trim with vinyl siding - your best bet is to see what 'pros' have done.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7454 posts
2385 upvotes
0 downvotes
torontotim wrote: The new vent cover should not have any pipe attached to it.

Take the opportunity to shoot some spray foam in the wall around that vent, get some Tuck tape and cover up any exposed wood etc. Then ideally a vent cover with a bit of flashing around it, then the J channel on top taking care to install it properly so water sheds off to the side when it hits the top section of channel. You don't want water infiltrating behind the siding.

I'm sure there are 1000 videos on YouTube showing how to install a vent cover and trim with vinyl siding - your best bet is to see what 'pros' have done.
Why should the new vent cover not have any pipe attached to it? how do you attach the old pipe which is probably screwed into the wall to the cover without causing lots of colossal damage? are you sure? what is wrong with sticking the new vent pipe into the old one and letting it sit inside to form a proper seal? if you just put the cover on air will flow under the siding and inside the walls and u dont want that, in the construction world that is a big no-no
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!