Shopping Discussion

New PC MasterCard program?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2012 5:25 pm
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
26 posts

New PC MasterCard program?

I received an email today in regards to a PC Mastercard survey which would pay out 5,000 pc points when completed. At the end of the survey, they introduced a new mastercard program. I've been thinking of changing credit cards, but am wondering if this new program is a good deal? Here it is:

Introducing A New And Exclusive MasterCard Program
From President's Choice Financial

Earn 50 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing PC Products (5% Cash Back In Groceries)
Earn 30 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing any other products in stores where PC is sold (3% Cash Back In Groceries)
Earn 20 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing at select gas stations and restaurants across Canada (2% Cash Back In Groceries)
Earn 10 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing any products or services anywhere in the world (1% Cash Back In Groceries)
Plus special bonus offers such as double, triple and 5x rewards
No annual fee
20,000 Points = $20 Dollars In Free Groceries Or Rewards
Start redeeming rewards with just 5,000 PC points
Plus when paying with your PC Financial MasterCard you also receive:
Free Extended Warranty: your PC MasterCard doubles the manufacturer's warranty
Free Purchase Assurance: protecting your purchases for 90 days against theft, loss or damage
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2293 posts
315 upvotes
North York
amymichelle2 wrote: I received an email today in regards to a PC Mastercard survey which would pay out 5,000 pc points when completed. At the end of the survey, they introduced a new mastercard program. I've been thinking of changing credit cards, but am wondering if this new program is a good deal? Here it is:

Introducing A New And Exclusive MasterCard Program
From President's Choice Financial

Earn 50 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing PC Products (5% Cash Back In Groceries)
Earn 30 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing any other products in stores where PC is sold (3% Cash Back In Groceries)
Earn 20 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing at select gas stations and restaurants across Canada (2% Cash Back In Groceries)
Earn 10 PC Points on every dollar spent when purchasing any products or services anywhere in the world (1% Cash Back In Groceries)
Plus special bonus offers such as double, triple and 5x rewards
No annual fee
20,000 Points = $20 Dollars In Free Groceries Or Rewards
Start redeeming rewards with just 5,000 PC points
Plus when paying with your PC Financial MasterCard you also receive:
Free Extended Warranty: your PC MasterCard doubles the manufacturer's warranty
Free Purchase Assurance: protecting your purchases for 90 days against theft, loss or damage
never heard of this before.. if it's true then it's a good deal.

the best grocery card out there is now MBNA SmartCash MC with 5% promo rate for 6 months and 3% thereafter (just for grocery, 1% everything else). If you mostly shop at Loblaw stores (NoFrill,Zehrs,RCSS,Fortinos) this card is definitely competitive at 3% and occasionally 5% for PC product
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8424 posts
1353 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote: never heard of this before.. if it's true then it's a good deal.

the best grocery card out there is now MBNA SmartCash MC with 5% promo rate for 6 months and 3% thereafter (just for grocery, 1% everything else). If you mostly shop at Loblaw stores (NoFrill,Zehrs,RCSS,Fortinos) this card is definitely competitive at 3% and occasionally 5% for PC product

This is why PC MasterCard had to think fast and come up something comparable to MBNA's SmartCash card. A lot of people including myself had abandoned the PC MasterCard. Too bad they didn't think of doing something like this before the competition ate their lunch.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2293 posts
315 upvotes
North York
Frankie3s wrote: This is why PC MasterCard had to think fast and come up something comparable to MBNA's SmartCash card. A lot of people including myself had abandoned the PC MasterCard. Too bad they didn't think of doing something like this before the competition ate their lunch.

very true. I was a long standing PC MC... raking at least lifetime 200,000 points at least but lately 1% is just not that good enough.

I opted then for CapOne Aspire World for their 2% but if PC MC have 3% then I'll definitely use PCMC for grocery (+buy more PC products!)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
7102 posts
2694 upvotes
Markham
I got this email too but didn't click it. Is this real or scam? looks fishy
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5872 posts
1698 upvotes
Montreal
Would they change the existing program to this or launch it as a new card?

I didn't get this email :(
Jan 5, 2009
569 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smartie wrote: I got this email too but didn't click it. Is this real or scam? looks fishy

You can check where the e-mail originates from, I checked a 100% legit PC e-mail and when I clicked "show original" it came up with this (I use Gmail)
From President's Choice Financial <info@pcbank.ca>
Return-Path: <return@loblaws-secure.ca>
Received: from vmail2.c3srv.com (vmail2.c3srv.com [209.171.60.18])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id ei29si2564697ibb.91.2010.10.13.16.46.07;
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of return@loblaws-secure.ca designates 209.171.60.18 as permitted sender) client-ip=209.171.60.18;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of return@loblaws-secure.ca designates 209.171.60.18 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=return@loblaws-secure.ca
But I really hope this is true, I currently have a PC Mastercard and I've easily redeemed at least $100 in "free" groceries this year, I will be ringing up PC later today to ask about this as well

EDIT: I called them and referred the support rep to this thread, they said that the e-mail was not sent by PC and no such offer exists
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
26 posts
figment wrote: You can check where the e-mail originates from, I checked a 100% legit PC e-mail and when I clicked "show original" it came up with this (I use Gmail)

But I really hope this is true, I currently have a PC Mastercard and I've easily redeemed at least $100 in "free" groceries this year, I will be ringing up PC later today to ask about this as well

EDIT: I called them and referred the support rep to this thread, they said that the e-mail was not sent by PC and no such offer exists

UH OH! I filled it out... It didn't really ask for much info though...however, it was so long ago I can't remember.
Feb 25, 2012
4 posts
SW ONTARIO
Frankie3s wrote: This is why PC MasterCard had to think fast and come up something comparable to MBNA's SmartCash card. A lot of people including myself had abandoned the PC MasterCard. Too bad they didn't think of doing something like this before the competition ate their lunch.
PC MasterCard is administered by CUETS Financial under the 'President's Choice Bank' name which is a division of MBNA, (who owns the SmartCash Card) who is owned by TDBFG. People who fled PC MasterCard are still with the same company just a different division, this change was most likely done to avoid a lot of unnecessary administration and costs when those who think they're jumping from PC are basically landing in the same bank, just a different division.

I suspect that TD purchased, and is maintaining the MBNA name from BofA for legal reasons with CUETS Financial, otherwise they certainly would have already plastered the TD logo all over the MBNA statements, and put them on the TDBFG Corporate Web Site, suspect that CUETS is worried that a big bank like TD will erode the CUETS credit card portfolio from Credit Union Members who want nothing to do with the Big 5.