Entertainment

New Predator Film “Skulls” Casting Info & Speculation (filming in Alberta!)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 9:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5123 posts
3149 upvotes

New Predator Film “Skulls” Casting Info & Speculation (filming in Alberta!)

I didn’t know they’re making a new Predator movie. Here’s some info on it:
There is only one full week to go before production begins on “Skulls”, the fifth film of our favorite intergalactic hunter franchise! Provided filming is not halted by the U.S. Courts on June 3rd, this Dan Trachtenberg helmed entry shooting in the magnificent landscapes of Alberta, Canada will finally feature a Predator story set in the past, where Comanche warrior natives will go up against the deadly alien creature!

So as we patiently wait for that June 7th production date, we wanted to share some casting tidbits and some solid speculation which are hopefully as half as tasty as the Skulls cookies made for director Dan Trachtenberg’s 40th Birthday back on May 11th!

It turns out that “Skulls” had a very large casting call earlier this month, seeking a large assortment of “Indigenous Background Extras”, which included the need for the following age groups:

• Kids (ages 6-8)
  • Female Teens (ages 15-17)
  • Males & Females (ages 20-50)
  • Elders (ages 60-70)

All of these actors hired will be required to work a continuous two full weeks of filming beginning June 7th through June 21st. Considering the crowd the production is assembling at the same time, it’s possible that all of the scripted scenes that take place within the community settlements of the Comanche lead protagonists will be filmed within these two weeks.

And speaking of the leads, the casting call was also seeking two lead protagonists stand-ins. A stand-in is a person of similar build and height that can “stand in” for a lead actor prior to filming an actual scene, to assist the crew in setting up the logistics of the scene like camera angles and lighting.

The physical requirements of these stand-in actors were listed as:

• Female, indigenous (ages 20-30, slim build, 5’6″ tall)
  • Male, indigenous (ages 20-30, slim build, 6’2″ tall)

Assumingly these stand-in parts are for the main sister & brother roles of Kee and Taabe – actress Amber Midthunder reportedly cast as Kee definitely fits the build and height – we perhaps now have a better description of how her brother Taabe will appear in stature.

Now this talent search has also implied that “Skulls” will perhaps contain some scenes of Kee and Taabe when they were much younger, per the Extras sought out in the casting call:

• Indigenous Mother with Baby and young Sister (6-8 years of age) + Aunt (cohort family)

Finally, thanks to the great detective work of our forum community at Alien vs. Predator Galaxy like ace3g and Whos_Nick, we have known for several months that actress Stefany Mathias tried out for the role of Aruka, the mother of Kee and Taabe.

Well now we can see from her Instragram posts and comments that she’s just traveled to Alberta Canada, where she was “heading off to shoot for a month” , so it seems very likely that Mathias was cast in “Skulls” either in the desired role of Aruku (or perhaps an alternate role at the least).

Filming for “Skulls” is slated to begin on the 7th of June and finish the 20th of August, so keep your targets set on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for all the latest Predator 5 news!
Source
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4485 posts
4651 upvotes
GTA
Sejad wrote: I didn’t know they’re making a new Predator movie. Here’s some info on it:

Source
I don't know why they're making a new Predator movie might be a better statement
c'mon get happy!
Dec 14, 2016
625 posts
381 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
^ The last film was a bit of a s@!# show but did OK during its theatrical run and pulled in a few bucks from the home video market:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Preda ... ab=summary

Those numbers may not set the world on fire, but it's not like the movie bled money. Plus, and probably more importantly these days, it's an addition to the Fox catalogue which they can put onto a streaming service. For any streamer to survive, they're going to need programming, and if they can keep throwing on new content for a recognizeable property like Predator then they would definitely prefer to go with that option.

It sounds like this new entry is going to be sold on the Predator brand rather than star power, so that along with filming in Canada will definitely help to keep costs down. Keeping an established franchise going while keeping a hold of the reins on spending is what any studio would want nowadays.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6551 posts
3356 upvotes
Global Village
Predator vs Comanche warriors in the past?! Count me in!
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4485 posts
4651 upvotes
GTA
PlainDealer wrote: ^ The last film was a bit of a s@!# show but did OK during its theatrical run and pulled in a few bucks from the home video market:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Preda ... ab=summary

Those numbers may not set the world on fire, but it's not like the movie bled money. Plus, and probably more importantly these days, it's an addition to the Fox catalogue which they can put onto a streaming service. For any streamer to survive, they're going to need programming, and if they can keep throwing on new content for a recognizeable property like Predator then they would definitely prefer to go with that option.

It sounds like this new entry is going to be sold on the Predator brand rather than star power, so that along with filming in Canada will definitely help to keep costs down. Keeping an established franchise going while keeping a hold of the reins on spending is what any studio would want nowadays.
I was one of the suckers that rented it and contributed to its undeserved success.
Also very telling, despite how well it did, this doesn't sound like a sequel to the last movie which ended on a cliffhanger. But the franchise might still have some claws. Hopefully this doesn't Terminate it, as has happened to other great franchises.
c'mon get happy!
Dec 14, 2016
625 posts
381 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
^ Terminator will be back. Just remember: it took a few years, but the Caped Crusader came back after Batman & Robin.

From what I've read, The Predator was a product of a lot of studio notes, and it seemed like Shane Black took them all just to prove the old saying, 'A camel is what you get when you try to build a horse by committee.' I'd have to go digging for the article, but apparently the fugitive Predator in Black's original script had something else in his ship.

It's just as well if this new film isn't a continuation of that storyline. I was actually pretty generous towards that 2018 movie, but I have no idea where they could've gone with those unresolved plot threads.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5123 posts
3149 upvotes
PlainDealer wrote: ^ Terminator will be back. Just remember: it took a few years, but the Caped Crusader came back after Batman & Robin.

From what I've read, The Predator was a product of a lot of studio notes, and it seemed like Shane Black took them all just to prove the old saying, 'A camel is what you get when you try to build a horse by committee.' I'd have to go digging for the article, but apparently the fugitive Predator in Black's original script had something else in his ship.

It's just as well if this new film isn't a continuation of that storyline. I was actually pretty generous towards that 2018 movie, but I have no idea where they could've gone with those unresolved plot threads.
What Terminator movie are you referring to?

Also, there’s a Alien series in the works I recall.
Dec 14, 2016
625 posts
381 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
^ Nothing specific about Terminator. Just that Salvation and Genisys didn't kill the franchise, so I doubt Dark Fate will, either.

As I mentioned above, studios are hungry for content for their streaming services, and they gravitate towards established brands rather than take expensive risks on unproven properties. So even if there are no whispers in the trades about a new TV series or film for Terminator, I have every confidence that it will return.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13809 posts
5887 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: I don't know why they're making a new Predator movie might be a better statement
Predator, Terminator, Alien, 007, Star Trek, Star Wars (probably forgetting even more impervious franchises)

Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4485 posts
4651 upvotes
GTA
jenviea wrote: Predator, Terminator, Alien, 007, Star Trek, Star Wars (probably forgetting even more impervious franchises)

Ghostbusters and Matrix might be next lol

I live the franchises I grew up with, but even Popeye, Little Orphan Annie, Blondie, and a whole host of old franchises that were big eventually fade away. Maybe we need to do the same and welcome new ideas rather than be Disney and flail corpses around in perpetuity just because we paid for them.
c'mon get happy!
Dec 14, 2016
625 posts
381 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
^ With every studio wanting to expand their market share, safe bets are the way they'll want to go. Risk aversion means that new ideas are not welcome unless they're championed by A-list talent, require small investment, or a combination of both.

This is going to sound cynical, but the fact is that Disney acquired Fox and Amazon bought MGM primarily to get a hold of their existing IP so they can be rebooted and repackaged. Unfortunately, remaking existing properties has been around since the dawn of cinema so it's pretty much a lock that we're going to get more of the same until someone breaks through with an unexpected hit (like The Blair Witch Project or My Big Fat Greek Wedding).
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4485 posts
4651 upvotes
GTA
PlainDealer wrote: ^ With every studio wanting to expand their market share, safe bets are the way they'll want to go. Risk aversion means that new ideas are not welcome unless they're championed by A-list talent, require small investment, or a combination of both.

This is going to sound cynical, but the fact is that Disney acquired Fox and Amazon bought MGM primarily to get a hold of their existing IP so they can be rebooted and repackaged. Unfortunately, remaking existing properties has been around since the dawn of cinema so it's pretty much a lock that we're going to get more of the same until someone breaks through with an unexpected hit (like The Blair Witch Project or My Big Fat Greek Wedding).
Then the new breakouts can be purchased by one of the big studios and the cycle continues lol.
Disney's purchase of all these IP's is bad on many levels too. They rewrote copyright laws so that nothing can ever become public domain. All we can hope is they keep these franchises 'good', which is subjective.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
6551 posts
3356 upvotes
Global Village
I was talking about this upcoming movie and the person asked, will the movie be in English or will it be in the native Comanche language?
To make it more commercial they would probably need to keep subtitles to a minimum but it might seem more authentic if they make it Comanche eng-subbed.
Also they probably need a strong Comanche woman character so women want to watch this also. Going with a woman-slave main character just won't cut it anymore. Maybe a chief's wife or daughter.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7233 posts
7890 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure who is going to distribute this movie in Canada and internationally

The next Predator movie heading straight to Hulu!?
Popular fan-site AvP Galaxy reports that Dan Trachtenberg’s Predator, the fifth mainline entry in the franchise, will be heading to Hulu. Working under the shooting title Skulls, Trachtenberg’s could be the first installment heading to a streaming service but could be for the best given its recent box-office blunder.

In an article about lawyer Marc Toberoff of Toberoff & Associates working with film creators to get original rights back, THR notes that Toberoff is also helping the writers of 1987’s Predator regain their rights. In the process, they also allegedly revealed that the new film will be distributed by Hulu.

20th Century Fox, now owned by Disney, struggled to make back its money with its 2018 film The Predator. With a massive budget of about $90 million, it never found an audience, and critics didn’t care for it with a 32% on Rotten Tomatoes. A move to a new home at Hulu could lower the budget, bring in a core fanbase, and re-focus the long-running action/horror series. Hulu is also currently working on an Alien series with FX, putting both the iconic franchises together again.

In Predator 5, Amber Midthunder stars as a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior. 10 Cloverfield Lane’s Dan Trachtenberg will helm the film from a script penned by Patrick Aison.
Sep 28, 2006
840 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Really actually liking this discussion. Personally I feel that streaming has given life to some of the bigger franchises to really flesh out their stories. I feel alien, predator and terminator franchise can definitely benefit from more in depth characters. The Sarah Connor chronicles wasn't terrible (to my surprise back in the day), and it was really too bad that it was cancelled. The plot and characters were interesting. I wish they could do that with the predator and alien franchise. They always seem to fail because ..well..everyone dies too quickly so you can't feel emotionally attached to the stories or character.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
13809 posts
5887 upvotes
Toronto
OT some Toronto resident covered a tree in computer media and I immediately thought Predator tree!

Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7233 posts
7890 upvotes
Toronto
We know the title, plot, and timeline...

Exclusive: New 'Predator' Movie Title, Plot Details, and Timeline Revealed by Producers John Davis and John Fox
It sounds like there won't be any choppas to get to in the new film from director Dan Trachtenberg.

In a new interview with Collider timed to this week's release of Disney's Jungle Cruise, producers John Davis and John Fox revealed that Dan Trachtenberg's upcoming Predator movie will be titled Skull, will be an origin story about the Predator's first journey to this planet, and it's almost done filming.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1191 posts
195 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
Dhanushan wrote: In a new interview with Collider timed to this week's release of Disney's Jungle Cruise, producers John Davis and John Fox revealed that Dan Trachtenberg's upcoming Predator movie will be titled Skull, will be an origin story about the Predator's first journey to this planet, and it's almost done filming.
In Predator 2, inside the ship, we see trophy skeletons from Dinosaurs, so that should be acknowledged as the first time the Predators arrived on earth. Thats a mistake to label this movie as the first time.