• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2019 8:03 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
12 upvotes

New Public Servant Pay Schedule

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can help figure out when I will be getting paid in my new position. I start with the federal government on April 23 and they said in the letter I would be getting paid in 2 week arrears. I have researched it and I’m still confused by it. I know that next week is pay day, so would I get paid on May 1st for some of the days, May 15th or the 29th?

Thanks
4 replies
Nov 20, 2016
122 posts
100 upvotes
It meanns that you won't be paid on the next pay day after your starting date, but rather the pay day after that.

Here's how it goes.

If you start work on April 23, 2019, and your first payday falls on Wednesday May 1st, 2019,, you will not be pai on May 1st. Your first pay cheque will come on May 15, 2019, and it will be for the work you performed from April 23, 2019 to April 30, 2019. The paycheque after that, on May 29, 2019 will be your first full paycheque
Sep 11, 2011
320 posts
118 upvotes
AlyssiaP161592 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 9:07 pm
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can help figure out when I will be getting paid in my new position. I start with the federal government on April 23 and they said in the letter I would be getting paid in 2 week arrears. I have researched it and I’m still confused by it. I know that next week is pay day, so would I get paid on May 1st for some of the days, May 15th or the 29th?

Thanks
Your 1st pay will be May 29th. Not to freak you out as a new employee, but make sure you look over your pay stub every pay period for any errors to make sure you haven't been Phoenixed.
Nov 26, 2018
12 posts
1 upvote
Assuming there are no problems with your pay centre you will likely be paid at the end of May.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2536 posts
1856 upvotes
Normally it means that you have to work a month before you get paid, but it depends on when you start and when paydays are.

You start work on April 23rd. The next payday is May 1st. You will not receive any pay then as you would not have worked two weeks. You would have worked only 7 days. The next payday is May 15th. You are suppose to be paid then for the 7 days you worked from April 23rd to May 1st. The gov't will then owe you two weeks pay in arrears for the time from May 1st - 15th.

BUT - don't expect to be paid on the 15th either. As you will be impacted by Phoenix, I suggest that you plan not to be paid until mid June.