• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 8:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes

New Restaurants that opened up -GTA

So I've been seeing lots of new restaurants opening up all around replacing ones that closed down so thought I'll start a thread on new places

1. Starchiva (old Dragonboat location) https://goo.gl/maps/DFLpz7aKUacMJYQp9
2. Taro Fish (Markham) https://goo.gl/maps/DWEHNB3S2VsuJEc77

Ive tried Taro and it's easily one of the better places especially for takeout that's priced reasonably. I was getting tired of the low quality but cheap places like Ai sushi

Starchiva seems to be a casual Chinese eatery that serves fresh seafood as well but I've not tried. Seems they have a store serving different type of food in times Square
32 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
Big Trio Wonton (Rhill) https://goo.gl/maps/UnmGF8kjdLBQNNKg6

this place has one of the better wontons i've tried and find it tastes better than Jim Jai Kee which doesn't really have much/any taste to their wontons
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15050 posts
12373 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not a fan of Taro. I’ve had it twice and both times the cuts are crap. Really not much different from AI in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1358 posts
1451 upvotes
Toronto
Passed through Chinatown, a new Taiwanese place opened on Dundas by the AGO and signs are up for 2 other places, one looks to be a bbq place on Dundas, the other one is on Spadina but no idea of what type of food it will be.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27573 posts
12642 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Not a fan of Taro. I’ve had it twice and both times the cuts are crap. Really not much different from AI in my opinion.
I bought some takeouts from their Markham location back in early August. Not impressed at all, esp. after having to line up outside under the hot sun for about 30 mins.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15050 posts
12373 upvotes
Richmond Hill
booblehead wrote: I bought some takeouts from their Markham location back in early August. Not impressed at all, esp. after having to line up outside under the hot sun for about 30 mins.
So disappointed since the new one is so close to me.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16052 posts
3476 upvotes
Toronto
maple1 wrote: Passed through Chinatown, a new Taiwanese place opened on Dundas by the AGO and signs are up for 2 other places, one looks to be a bbq place on Dundas, the other one is on Spadina but no idea of what type of food it will be.
The one on Spadina near College has been there for a short while now. I say they're competing more with Gyubee with a similar AYCE format. (similar food)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3618 posts
2881 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I bought some takeouts from their Markham location back in early August. Not impressed at all, esp. after having to line up outside under the hot sun for about 30 mins.
I would not wait in line for it (well I don't wait in line for most things let alone food!)

Do you have suggestions for better quality sushi/platters in the area?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27573 posts
12642 upvotes
Toronto
I just want to try this new Taro out. Never again. At the time I visited, it was opened up for around 1 hr or so and was thinking the line would move quickly but I was wrong. Once inside, it would seem to me they don't have much to sell, esp. in the fridge and the takeouts items are very limited as if they were about to close for the day and stocks were not replenished at all.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1358 posts
1451 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: The one on Spadina near College has been there for a short while now. I say they're competing more with Gyubee with a similar AYCE format. (similar food)
Sorry, didn't give more details, it is south of Dundas. It was previously, some sort of bubble tea place with a lower level looking like a pool alley.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6456 posts
5916 upvotes
Richmond Hill
StatsGuy wrote: Big Trio Wonton (Rhill) https://goo.gl/maps/UnmGF8kjdLBQNNKg6

this place has one of the better wontons i've tried and find it tastes better than Jim Jai Kee which doesn't really have much/any taste to their wontons
just realized, these guys used to be wonton chai?

if yes, then yes - their wontons are hella good
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16052 posts
3476 upvotes
Toronto
maple1 wrote: Sorry, didn't give more details, it is south of Dundas. It was previously, some sort of bubble tea place with a lower level looking like a pool alley.
I think you mean where Master mix hot pot used to be a good 3 or 4 years ago?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1358 posts
1451 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: I think you mean where Master mix hot pot used to be a good 3 or 4 years ago?
That is the basic location but not the hot pot place, the new sign is at the bubble tea location beside it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16052 posts
3476 upvotes
Toronto
maple1 wrote: Passed through Chinatown, a new Taiwanese place opened on Dundas by the AGO and signs are up for 2 other places, one looks to be a bbq place on Dundas, the other one is on Spadina but no idea of what type of food it will be.
460 Dundas, where Sichuan Ren hot pot used to be, the new place will be called "KungFuBeef Chinese BBQ".