• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 1:48 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2005
156 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver

New Rize leisure ebike makes toilet flushing sound on brakes

New ebike. Disc brakes. Was good for a day. Now makes loud sound like toilet flushing/water through pipes when using back brakes, even at walking speed and pas 1. It’s so loud, people hear it across the street. Brake pads are perfectly aligned. This is not the sound of pad rubbing on rotor. I even asked in bike forum and no one can explain what this noise is. Even a YouTube search brings up no examples. It’s totally bizarre. Rize support tells me this is normal. I have another Ebike from rize with hydraulic brakes and that doesn’t make any noise. I could upload a sound recording but I see no way to do that here.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13614 posts
2801 upvotes
Vancouver
Spatzi wrote: New ebike. Disc brakes. Was good for a day. Now makes loud sound like toilet flushing/water through pipes when using back brakes, even at walking speed and pas 1. It’s so loud, people hear it across the street. Brake pads are perfectly aligned. This is not the sound of pad rubbing on rotor. I even asked in bike forum and no one can explain what this noise is. Even a YouTube search brings up no examples. It’s totally bizarre. Rize support tells me this is normal. I have another Ebike from rize with hydraulic brakes and that doesn’t make any noise. I could upload a sound recording but I see no way to do that here.
Not to derail the thread. First I hope you find a resolution soon. Secondly I’m looking for an ebike. Despite your issues what do you think of Rize bikes?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15302 posts
20642 upvotes
Vancouver
Spatzi wrote: New ebike. Disc brakes. Was good for a day. Now makes loud sound like toilet flushing/water through pipes when using back brakes, even at walking speed and pas 1. It’s so loud, people hear it across the street. Brake pads are perfectly aligned. This is not the sound of pad rubbing on rotor. I even asked in bike forum and no one can explain what this noise is. Even a YouTube search brings up no examples. It’s totally bizarre. Rize support tells me this is normal. I have another Ebike from rize with hydraulic brakes and that doesn’t make any noise. I could upload a sound recording but I see no way to do that here.
Unless you're riding on loose (gravel) or slippery (oil/ice) surfaces, you don't need to use your rear brake. For city riding, even on wet roads, the rear brake is not needed. The front brake alone has all the stopping power you need and the rear brake doesn't help. Save the rear brake for when you need it and/or as an emergency brake when the front brake fails.