Credit Cards

New Rogers & Fido Mastercard Changes effective May 23, 2018

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2019 2:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 13, 2013
21 posts
70 upvotes
Richmond

New Rogers & Fido Mastercard Changes effective May 23, 2018

If you're like me, still trying to find a good Canadian credit card without foreign currency charges, this will no longer be the best option available.

Source: https://rogersbank.com/en/notification

Rogers Platinum Mastercard
$29 Annual fee -> $0
4% on foreign purchase -> 3% (usually 2.5% foreign conversion fee applies, so net 0.50%)
1.75% on rogers purchases -> 2%
1.75% on all other purchases -> 1.25%

Fido Mastercard
Still $0 annual fee
Eliminated account maintenance fee
4% on foreign purchase -> 3% (usually 2.5% foreign conversion fee applies, so net 0.50%)
1.5% on rogers purchases -> 2%
1.5% on all other purchases -> 1.25%
Last edited by richardpau on Mar 13th, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
173 replies
Sr. Member
Mar 1, 2016
546 posts
213 upvotes
I still see that you gain something back for foreign transactions instead of losing. So if this is not the best card, which one is?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2535 posts
1395 upvotes
Mississauga
Good to know. These are some pretty big cuts.

I don't think this belongs in this forum, but thanks for the heads up.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Member
Dec 16, 2012
378 posts
381 upvotes
Calgary
Ouch....knew it was a matter of time, but really sad on the 0.5% cashback drop. I can't say I did not enjoy racking up 1.75% on all purchases.

Looks like I will be hunting for another annual fee card with good cashback soon.
😁
Member
User avatar
Jan 2, 2015
491 posts
441 upvotes
Montréal area
Well, that's pretty short notice.
Note that for FIdo Mastercard, it's going from 1,5% to 1.25% (not from 1.75)%

Time to check others cards I guess.
Member
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
274 posts
130 upvotes
Calgary
A3rr0w wrote: I still see that you gain something back for foreign transactions instead of losing. So if this is not the best card, which one is?
Home Trust is still 1%

http://www.hometrust.ca/preferredvisa.aspx


Introducing the Home Trust Preferred Visa* with 1% CashBack
  • No annual fee
  • 1% CashBack with no limits to your total rewards
  • No restrictions on where you earn your rewards1
  • Roadside Assist membership at no extra charge
  • No foreign currency conversion surcharges2
  • 10 Transactions Per Day Limit
Last edited by turbogor on Mar 13th, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2126 posts
713 upvotes
Looks like I'll be getting rid of Fido as my forex card and going for something else... time to start shopping around.

This will just push more people to Brim and Home Trust.
Last edited by cbt123 on Mar 13th, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1292 posts
1472 upvotes
Dammit, I JUST got my fido card...
Member
Sep 5, 2007
408 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
This card is definitely only going to be used for foreign transactions for me now, instead of as my primary card.
Newbie
May 16, 2012
74 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
turbogor wrote: Home Trust is still 1%

http://www.hometrust.ca/preferredvisa.aspx


Introducing the Home Trust Preferred Visa* with 1% CashBack
  • No annual fee
  • 1% CashBack with no limits to your total rewards
  • No restrictions on where you earn your rewards1
  • Roadside Assist membership at no extra charge
  • No foreign currency conversion surcharges2
only ten transactions per day.. not bad if you just buy things online.. but if you are taking it out of country shopping, gotta becareful of that limit.
Member
Aug 8, 2016
451 posts
60 upvotes
Shitty, I've only had my Rogers mastercard for a few months...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8188 posts
8736 upvotes
The Prairies
vinnie1990 wrote: I don't think this belongs in this forum, but thanks for the heads up.
If credit card related topics don’t belong in the credit card sub-forum, what exactly do you think does?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
1795 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
qbarnes95 wrote: used the roadside assistance 2 weeks ago, definitely a great benefit of the no annual fee HT Visa.

How far do they tow the car? Is there a limit like other companies i.e closest garage within 10km etc...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 25, 2007
2865 posts
2038 upvotes
turbogor wrote: Home Trust is still 1%

http://www.hometrust.ca/preferredvisa.aspx


Introducing the Home Trust Preferred Visa* with 1% CashBack
  • No annual fee
  • 1% CashBack with no limits to your total rewards
  • No restrictions on where you earn your rewards1
  • Roadside Assist membership at no extra charge
  • No foreign currency conversion surcharges2
This is interesting. No forex charges and roadside assistance with no annual feel.

This may be a nice compliment to my MBNA 2% $89 Annual Fee MC that I use for everything. I could just use this for foreign purchases and no longer have to purchase Canadian Tire or CAA roadside assistance.

Is this the best option for this?

Hmmmm
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2126 posts
713 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: If credit card related topics don’t belong in the credit card sub-forum, what exactly do you think does?
Was originally posted to hot deals... this change is the opposite of a hot deal.
Sr. Member
May 30, 2011
974 posts
1371 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: If credit card related topics don’t belong in the credit card sub-forum, what exactly do you think does?
I saw this thread in the Hot Deals forum - must've been moved by mods to the Credit card sub forum.
Member
User avatar
Jan 2, 2015
491 posts
441 upvotes
Montréal area
Third Eye wrote: This is interesting. No forex charges and roadside assistance with no annual feel.

This may be a nice compliment to my MBNA 2% $89 Annual Fee MC that I use for everything. I could just use this for foreign purchases and no longer have to purchase Canadian Tire or CAA roadside assistance.

Is this the best option for this?


Don't forget that the road assistance is only 5km towing :/
Hmmmm
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2126 posts
713 upvotes
qbarnes95 wrote: i think it's only 5KM with this one
If that's the case, it's pretty much useless for towing. Might be good for boosting and other small stuff though.

Top