• Apr 4th, 2019 4:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 28, 2008
111 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta

New roofing

I’m looking to get my 23 year old shingles replaced. I’m still awaiting for more quotes but I’ve gotten two quotes so far. One company uses only BP shingles while the other offers a few except BP; he even stated BP sucks. Then he goes to recommend IKO /CRC.

But then I look at reviews of BP and IKO and they both seem equally garbage, with class action lawsuits on them.

I know online reviews you’ll often see more of the bad experiences so I’m trying to see the benefit of a doubt that maybe I won’t have bad experiences. But at this point, I have two companies who are rated HIGHLY in homestars. And these two so far recommended me what the internet has deemed “garbage” products.

Any homeowners with experience? Please help me out before I regret 10 years from now Loudly Crying Face
3 replies
Jun 25, 2013
40 posts
14 upvotes
MARKHAM
A lot has to do with the workmanship of the roofers.

Example is nailing within the nail line and following manufacturers recommendations on installing the roof system.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2008
111 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Zandam wrote:
Apr 4th, 2019 3:55 pm
A lot has to do with the workmanship of the roofers.

Example is nailing within the nail line and following manufacturers recommendations on installing the roof system.
That which is definitely important, especially in ensuring warranty claims can be met.

But I’m reading some people post how the shingles themselves have disintegrated like 8-13 years since installation when they’re meant to last “30 years” (for IKO/BP in particular. Haven’t really looked at other brands) And then you see people saying the shingles keep flying off in the wind (lol) but that’s the installation issue for sure.
Aug 7, 2013
531 posts
113 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
The only two shingle manufacturers I would consider for my home are GAF and CertainTeed. But as everyone knows, it doesn't matter how good those shingles and materials are produced if they are installed incorrectly. I just went through the quoting process myself and ended up choosing Roof on Homes with the CertainTeed Landmark Pro shingles and roofing system. Danny was the guy who came by my house, he's the owner and it's a family run business so they don't use outsourced workers. Every one of their crew members are certified, insured and work directly for his company with many of them being his family members e.g. nephew, brother etc.

I have no affiliation to their company but of all the quotes I received (4 of them), they were by far the most thorough and I felt like they weren't selling me on things I didn't need but also wanted make sure I had proper ventilation for my roof etc.