• Jan 17th, 2018 9:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1410 posts
128 upvotes

New router advice

I was hoping to pick the brains of fellow RFDers, our current router died last week, it was a net gear r7000 that all of sudden all of the lan and wan ports just stopped working. After numerous factory resets, firmware updates etc it was toast. So it's time to look for a new one, but I'm trying to find something with some unique parental controls.

Currently we are on a TELUS mobile hub with a 250gig monthly limit. So we struggle every month with overages etc.

What I'm hoping to find is the following in routers firmware , and ideally not a 3rd party one

Pausing internet by device (i.e. Dinner time, )

Creating schedule for a device ( Turing wifi for kids phones, xboxs etc )

Limiting total usage for certain devices, example our son loves his YouTube videos etc, so I'd like to grant 10gig a month, so if he burns through it in 2 days to bad so sad.

I've been looking at Google wifi, and maybe a router with adding on Disney circle, I know netgeat offered Circle but it was a $7 a month charge where as far as I can tell the physical Disney circle I think includes premium ( hence no monthly charge)

So anyone got some advice or reviews on some products? Or ideas

Thanks winky
2 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10321 posts
2692 upvotes
Winnipeg
mrwinky wrote: I was hoping to pick the brains of fellow RFDers, our current router died last week, it was a net gear r7000 that all of sudden all of the lan and wan ports just stopped working. After numerous factory resets, firmware updates etc it was toast. So it's time to look for a new one, but I'm trying to find something with some unique parental controls.

Currently we are on a TELUS mobile hub with a 250gig monthly limit. So we struggle every month with overages etc.

What I'm hoping to find is the following in routers firmware , and ideally not a 3rd party one

Pausing internet by device (i.e. Dinner time, )

Creating schedule for a device ( Turing wifi for kids phones, xboxs etc )

Limiting total usage for certain devices, example our son loves his YouTube videos etc, so I'd like to grant 10gig a month, so if he burns through it in 2 days to bad so sad.

I've been looking at Google wifi, and maybe a router with adding on Disney circle, I know netgeat offered Circle but it was a $7 a month charge where as far as I can tell the physical Disney circle I think includes premium ( hence no monthly charge)

So anyone got some advice or reviews on some products? Or ideas

Thanks winky
wasn't the r7000 under warranty thats fairly new router?

for youtube make the kid turn off autoplay. they leave it running on the tablets and just keeps playing the next video again and again....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1410 posts
128 upvotes
I wish it was under warranty, but I purchased it dec 31 2015, so it's a year out of warranty

Winky