• Jul 23rd, 2020 11:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1088 posts
929 upvotes
PM 4 SB referrals.

New Ryzen build - unstable

I put together a low end pc for my elderly parents. Mother browses web, emails, uses quicken, watches youtube vids, facebook and plays browser based games on pogo.
My father plays freecell and play money poker on pokerstars.

The problem is that after 10 mins of playing poker the pc will go to a white screen and then require a hard reset as ctr+alt+del won't work.
Same thing happens when my mother plays Mahjong on pogo games.

The pc browses the web and seems to do everything else fine.

Here are the basic specs:
ASROCK B450M HDV R4.0
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 4-Core/4-Thread Processor Socket AM4 3.6GHz/ 4.0GHz Radeon RX Vega 8
16GB DDR4 2400MHz (2X8) Patriot Viper Elite
GIGABYTE PW400 400W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply

I'm stumped. So far I tried using diferent drivers for the onboard video, but no dice.
Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
35 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20744 posts
6215 upvotes
GTA
Try using one stick of 8gb ram at a time.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
temps?
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4921 posts
1953 upvotes
+1 on checking temps... check if the heatsink fan is plugged in and heatsink on properly. Reseat ram/SSD/ PSU cable. Since fairly new machine can always try re-installing windows from scratch and see if that'll clear up any possible corruption. To eliminate the onboard GPU from the equation, you can plug in any GPU and see what happens.

Asrock has a Qualified Vendor's list for memory approved to work with particular types of Ryzen CPU as well... for the 3200G the list is : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M-HDV ... /#MemoryPS Doubt thats the problem cause it can't possibly work with only one type of memory.... but can also check other CPU types for ideas.

Last resort could be updating the bios.......... but updating BIOS on an unstable system adds another level of risk, cause what if it freezes mid way........... :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1088 posts
929 upvotes
PM 4 SB referrals.
Thanks for the ideas so far. I'm not able to check the pc physically for a few days and was trying different drivers via teamviewer. Is there a way to check temps without having to look at the BIOS? Hopefully a Windows program I can run and view remotely?

Also, it has a wraith cooler that I made sure was installed properly and connected properly, ie power and fan.

My guess so far would be RAM as it was DDR2400 from Patriot. Whatever it is I hope its an easy fix. I can handle problems with my pc but the old people in my life are kinda lost without my help.
Last edited by thexdriver on Jul 7th, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
thexdriver wrote: Thanks for the ideas so far. I'm not able to check the pc physically for a few days and was trying different drivers via teamviewer. Is there a way to check temps without having to look at the BIOS? Hopefully a Windows program I can run and view remotely?
hwinfo64
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Teamviewer has had security issues. Try QuickAssist - it's built into Windows 10 and it's free. I use it for my FIL so I don't have to go over every goddamn time he has a problem.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1088 posts
929 upvotes
PM 4 SB referrals.
Ok got some new info. According to HWiNFO64 The CPU idles at around 39C. When I fire up the poker and freecell it spikes to 54 or 57C. Same with the browser games.

So I'm thinking I didn't torque down the cpu fan properly. It came with a wraith cooler that I googled for to find a video to see how to install. I only build pc's once every 4 years or so and haven't used AMD cpu's in over 10 years so my skills are not what they used to be. I'm definitely not as familiar with AMD stuff as I am intel.

I now suspect the cpu fan is not seated 100% on the cpu. I'll visit soon and remove the thermal paste and re-apply some fresh and make 100% certain the cpu fan is re-seated and done correctly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
thexdriver wrote: The problem is that after 10 mins of playing poker the pc will go to a white screen and then require a hard reset as ctr+alt+del won't work.
Same thing happens when my mother plays Mahjong on pogo games.

The pc browses the web and seems to do everything else fine.
Possibly a video driver issue since it only crashes during "gaming"?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1088 posts
929 upvotes
PM 4 SB referrals.
shabby wrote: Possibly a video driver issue since it only crashes during "gaming"?
No, It looks like its a temp/heat issue. See my previous post.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
thexdriver wrote: No, It looks like its a temp/heat issue. See my previous post.
Nothing wrong with those temps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1088 posts
929 upvotes
PM 4 SB referrals.
shabby wrote: Nothing wrong with those temps.
54 - 57 C is fine ?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3819 posts
2174 upvotes
Toronto
damn, your parents have a better desktop than I do
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1088 posts
929 upvotes
PM 4 SB referrals.
Homer88 wrote: damn, your parents have a better desktop than I do
lol, I spent approx $300 to build it. if I can't get it stable it will be mine and so will the problems. I think I'm going to swap my i3-8100 system for theirs. Its rock solid and has never had an issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2327 posts
1308 upvotes
GTA
thexdriver wrote: 54 - 57 C is fine ?
For an AMD CPU with a stock cooler, yes. That's nothing.

My i9-9900K idles at 38-39C and that CPU is declared a furnace. It can go up as high as 72C during an intense gaming session in 1440p. I'm also using a NH-D15 cooler.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2018
1088 posts
929 upvotes
PM 4 SB referrals.
I've read more than a few reviews of the motherboard (ASROCK B450M HDV R4.0) complaining about random crashes after 10 mins. Various fixes included BIOS updates but the problems persisted.

My parents are 300kms away from me so I need to figure out a fix and take care of it on my next visit.
Aug 23, 2019
576 posts
429 upvotes
I'd check the VRm temps under load, with hwinfo64, Google your board and VRM sensor . Then your ram apparently amd apus are picky with ram timings. Lastly the power supply.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4921 posts
1953 upvotes
thexdriver wrote: I've read more than a few reviews of the motherboard (ASROCK B450M HDV R4.0) complaining about random crashes after 10 mins. Various fixes included BIOS updates but the problems persisted.

My parents are 300kms away from me so I need to figure out a fix and take care of it on my next visit.
Might as well bring your whole i3 machine so you'll have parts to swap and test. USB drive with Windows install on it... external hard drives to back up stuff... everything ! Good luck :)

Looking at the Asrock site they mentioned the AMD all in one VGA driver a few times... I assume you've looked into that too?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1004 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Are you sure it isn't the video card?

I just helped one of my friends build a 5600XT gaming rig and that card was riddled with problems. As far as I know, AMD still can't be trusted with graphics cards yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1079 upvotes
Saint John
I had a 2200G and that thing was an absolute nightmare to get to work properly with DRAM. Of course it included the same weak IMC design of the 1000-series (being essentially a Ryzen 1xxx chip with integrated graphics) while the 3200G has the slightly improved IMC of the Zen+ (2000-series) design. I agree with the person who said that the thermals seem in-line with expectations for a stock cooler.

I like your idea of giving the parents the i3 8100 and taking in the 3200G system to tweak yourself. Unfortunately, despite the great strides AMD has made in recent years, Intel is still the best choice if you want something that "just works." I doubt your parents need the better integrated graphics of the 3200G. To rule out memory, try loading fail-safe defaults in the BIOS, which should run the memory at stock 2133MHz speeds; if it doesn't, see if you can reduce to 2133MHz yourself.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)