Automotive

Is new safety tech and Android auto just gimmicks or worth it to go new?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2017 1:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1686 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto

Is new safety tech and Android auto just gimmicks or worth it to go new?

So, I'm in a market for a compact to midsize CUV or SUV, and as it goes used cars probably miss out on safety tech like Autonomus braking and Android Auto;

Yet, I want to keep my budget at max around $28k OTR, so I know even buying new I'd have to sacrifice performance for tech, so which vehicle can deliver optimal performance to price ratio without breaking a bank?

I was thinking about buying 2013 Sportage or Santa Fe with 2.0T engine as I already have 2.4 engine in my Optima so, comparing 2.0T vs 2017 2.4 +Safety tech and Android Auto which one is a better value?
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1329 posts
1581 upvotes
Android auto is a must. Google assistant beats any speech recognition system of any car manufacturer. Although in newer cars I don't know if AA can control other functions like air conditioning.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5985 posts
6204 upvotes
Toronto
No. They are still all 1.0 versions and will be severely dated in 3-4 years. I test drove a few (VW, Honda, GMC) and the "safety features" were amusingly crude.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
358 upvotes
If you are a good driver who always pays attention to the traffic, always check blind spot, leave enough space between cars, then they are gimmicks. If not they they'll be helpful.
Dec 10, 2007
639 posts
469 upvotes
Arviat
Those are gimmicks, the true safety features are the ones that eliminate driver distraction like talking on the phone and fiddling with controls -- bluetooth calling, rain sensing wipers, and auto dimming mirrors; or alerting the driver of stuff they tend to overlook like audible door, seatbelt and tire pressure warnings.

Lane departure and blind spot, a driver should be stripped of their license if they need assistance in those areas lol.
Last edited by ellesdad on Sep 4th, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Apr 29, 2017
426 posts
541 upvotes
All these gimmicks are going to make future generations less competent drivers as they will rely on their cameras and sensors, just like GPS has made many people reliant and have not developed a sense of direction.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3592 posts
4951 upvotes
Canada
Autobraking is not a gimmick. It's a life saving technology. Lane-keep assist currently is a gimmick.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1973 posts
824 upvotes
There's so many retards on the roads. The more nannies, the better.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5416 posts
3856 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
+1 on Autobraking is not a gimmick. Collision mitigation can save your life and a potential accident. No matter how good you are a driving, there will be circumstances where you won't be aware. Like if you were about to sneeze and during this process the car in front of you suddenly it brakes, you're screwed.

I read on the Honda forum where his pregnant wife blacked out. Honda sensing prevented the accident from being much worse.

Android auto is a good feature to have and it's good for resale. Plus it'll get updated more often than your manufacturer's own system since it uses your phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4114 posts
1034 upvotes
Autobraking is not a gimmick. I especially like the rear traffic alert when I parked beside a van. It might not be necessary but it is good to have and might one day in fact save your life.
Many years ago right mirror was an option for a new car. Is it a gimmick? It depends.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1329 posts
1581 upvotes
If lane departure works flawlessly then I don't see it as a gimmick - or maybe I should just pay more attention to my driving. It's just so difficult to consistently drive straight. :D
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3387 posts
2190 upvotes
Montreal
I've had a few instances where auto braking would be nice to have, plus they are usually bundled with auto cruise control which I wish I had on long highway hauls. The package wasn't available in the trim I bought or I would've added them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1686 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
So, which SUV today is a good package used or new to get a good performance along with Android Auto and all new safety tech like Autonomus braking for $28k OTR.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2694 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
indca wrote: So, which SUV today is a good package used or new to get a good performance along with Android Auto and all new safety tech like Autonomus braking for $28k OTR.
Do you find those new safety features useful? If you do, then you have to go new because retrofitting them to an older version of the car will be more expensive than buying the car with it in the first place. Android auto on the other hand you don't have to go new, you can buy used and simply swap out the stock stereo with an Android auto aftermarket unit.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4147 posts
981 upvotes
Maybe the 2017 Honda CR-V LX trim? It's $29.6k MSRP though.

Most of the other brands require top level trim to get their safety tech.
Dec 22, 2008
950 posts
365 upvotes
Vancouver
Only thing about Android auto is using maps or waze eats your data like crazy.

Play music you just download beforehand it's ok

Lane departure is good for hwy driving. Otherwise I keep It off on my crv.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1686 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
nx6288 wrote: Maybe the 2017 Honda CR-V LX trim? It's $29.6k MSRP though.

Most of the other brands require top level trim to get their safety tech.
And this is where I'd like to set the limit on my budget; as I got Kia Optima with moonroof brand new $23.5K OTR without any safety tech two years ago, that car is going to my wife as she hates SUV and just got her G2license; so I don't want to invest too much in depreciating assets.
The new technology always keep coming but we have got to limit maximum budget otherwise I'll be car poor, as I'll have nice car but won't enjoy it as much if I spend out of my budget, still I want this safety features and am willing to spend extra $5k to get them after that limit it just becomes insane amount of money.
Banned
Aug 30, 2017
59 posts
10 upvotes
prochargedv8 wrote: All these gimmicks are going to make future generations less competent drivers as they will rely on their cameras and sensors, just like GPS has made many people reliant and have not developed a sense of direction.
So you agree it'll make roads much safer then?

Much like how auto pilot and other features have made flying much safer. The best driver is no match for the new safety features

It's like when abs first came out and people said it'll make people worse drivers...lol