Shopping Discussion

New Samsung Refrigerator - Buy Costco Extended Warranty or Samsung Extended Warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 8:19 pm
[OP]
Jan 15, 2007
127 posts
29 upvotes

New Samsung Refrigerator - Buy Costco Extended Warranty or Samsung Extended Warranty

Just bought a Samsung refrigerator and planning to buy an Extended Warranty from either Costco or Samsung. Does anyone have any review or experience about which one to purchase? Thank you in advance for not flaming me about buying a Samsung refrigerator.
24 replies
Nov 6, 2014
906 posts
1558 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
LOL...don't buy Samsung appliances. 2nd rule of RFD. Many will say they are very unreliable, lack of timely service parts...etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2891 posts
1557 upvotes
London
fordmaple wrote: LOL...don't buy Samsung appliances. 2nd rule of RFD. Many will say they are very unreliable, lack of timely service parts...etc.
Don't buy Samsung anything there c/s is awful just to setup a warranty claim with them is awful.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4288 posts
3255 upvotes
Vancouver
Since it's a Samsung, you'll probably want both warranties. Don't forget the one on your credit card.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17779 posts
15234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hope you got a good deal on this fridge
And didn’t pay a lot of money for it

Cuz … statistically you’ll be buying another fridge soon

Samsung & LG Appliances typically don’t even make it to the 7 year national average
Most die in the 3 to 5 year mark
Or have ongoing issues from the get go
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2227 posts
2205 upvotes
Langley
had Samsung fridge for years, never had any problems.
if you gonna buy extended warranty, i would buy Costco warranty
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6118 posts
1358 upvotes
Montreal
Definitely go with the Costco warrantee.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5114 posts
5234 upvotes
Vancouver
The warranty won't help if Samsung parts are unavailable, a common problem with Samsung appliances. Do you want your fridge out of service for 6 months while they order a new motherboard or compressor from Korea, only to find they stopped making them?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14261 posts
9029 upvotes
Markham
You question...depends on how much extended is it [eg. 1 yr to 3 yr or 5 yrs or __ yrs? ], how much $ is the extended warranty is vs the price of the refrigerator. Also depends on if you have a premium credit card and extended warranty.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4907 posts
2066 upvotes
Winnipeg
PointsHubby wrote:
Samsung & LG Appliances typically don’t even make it to the 7 year national average
According to Consumer Reports, LG is the second most reliable appliance brand.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
1500 posts
240 upvotes
Canada
Friends don't let friends buy Samsung appliances.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1998 posts
1107 upvotes
jcon wrote: According to Consumer Reports, LG is the second most reliable appliance brand.
I agree with this statement. Parents has an LG fridge for 10+ yrs now. Also a washer which is about the same age. Im using an LG fridge now that's at least 8yrs old

And yeah, return that fridge if you can. Get a SIMPLE fridge without the bells and whistles.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3106 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For sure Costco warranty. Because at worst case, if things go up a creek in the future, even though the warranty is administered third party, Costco will ensure you're taken care of.

I had this happen and the warranty company was pushing back, so I escalated through Costco who just refunded me.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17779 posts
15234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: Two things no RFDer should ever buy:
1) A Samsung appliance
2) An extended warranty
You're welcome.
This …

Won’t buy LG or Samsung (poor record of after sales service … esp when it comes to parts )

And rarely ever buy a Warranty

Just buy your appliances at Costco … get a great price, Costco guarantee, FREE Delivery & Haul Away, After Sales Service / Costco Consierge, and 2 Year Warranty *

* Costco Warranty extends the Manufacturers Warranty into a second year if their warranty is < 2 years

https://www.costco.ca/concierge.html
Oct 20, 2018
222 posts
65 upvotes
Samsung has ice box problem and leaking problem so many recalls in the US. In Canada I hope class action Soon and we get refunded on this POS refrigerator!!! I have to defrost my fridge every 1 weeks and I know another person with same issue!!!

I have a Samsung range and the heat sensor has issue it always thinks the hobs are hot and on!
Both of my appliances are less then 5 years old.

Do not get a Samsung fridge or appliance you will regret it. Get LG or anything else but Samsung.
Last edited by superkule on Sep 10th, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4143 posts
2682 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: Two things no RFDer should ever buy:
1) A Samsung appliance
2) An extended warranty
You're welcome.
Actually Costco extended warranty has been the exception. Mostly due to the numbers. Costco extended warranty generally is priced fairly competitive. Example their TV extended warranty only cost max $100 even on a $3000 tv. You have to imagine the fail rate on a $3000 tv is far higher than 4% (cost of warranty).

Samsung appliances do have a bad rep although I haven’t had any issues with my Samsung fridge, washer, or dryer (this rarely gets used). I’ve seen a lot of negative experience with them but personally haven’t had any issues and I bought them at futureshop... (aka it has been a pretty long time).
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2913 posts
2309 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
babybear wrote: Just bought a Samsung refrigerator and planning to buy an Extended Warranty from either Costco or Samsung. Does anyone have any review or experience about which one to purchase? Thank you in advance for not flaming me about buying a Samsung refrigerator.
Just so there's no confusion...you can only buy the Costco extended warranty if you purchased from Costco. So, if you bought your appliance somewhere else, Samsung warranty it is.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46080 posts
6570 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jcon wrote: According to Consumer Reports, LG is the second most reliable appliance brand.
Reliability isn't the big problem with LG/Samsung, it is repairability. In most cases, LG/Samsung uses proprietary parts that they discontinue after 4-5 years from initial launch of the model. I can't buy the part and get gouged even if I wanted to! Comparatively, the Whirlpool and GE family of brands typically share OEM parts and are widely available many years down the road. Not to mention, much cheaper than LG/Samsung parts.

I had my LG dryer fixed under their "flat fee" program, which guarantees that it would be fixed. After 3 visits they determined the part was no longer available on a 5 year old dryer. All they did (after a lot of arguing, mind you) was return me HALF of the fee I paid ($229 + tax) and paid out what they determined the residual value of the dryer to me, which was about $120. Luckily, I did a chargeback on the service and got the full $229+tax back, so I came out a little ahead versus not attempting to fix it at all, but it was not worth the 20+ hours I had to deal with them for this.
Sep 17, 2021
1 posts
First hand experience, NEVER BUY an LG fridge. Stopped working after 2 years. Major component issue - compressor. Repair warranty only 30 days. After that, fridge starting making loud noises. Now, it's warming up again. Big issue is not so much that the fridge is bad, it is that LG does not stand by its product. A $2,000 fridge should last more than 2 years! LG does not care; they only want to sell you repair packages! So, please stay away from LG fridges.