None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
20 upvotes
Scarborough

New Saravana Bhavan

There's a new Saravana Bhavan opening at Woodside in Scarborough. Anybody know what their food is like? I heard there's one out in Mississauga.
13 replies
Feb 17, 2005
666 posts
3 upvotes
Miss.
there's one on eglinton/hurontario in mississauga (next to Harvey's). Heard some of their food is really good such as some "DOSA" and sweets.
Oct 3, 2003
187 posts
17 upvotes
Sarvana Bhavan is a chain of restaurants in Chennai in South India. I've eaten at the Mississauga several times. It's all vegetarian, don't come with the appetite for steak :) . One of the most popular items is dosa - a white lentil flour crepe served with or without a potato curry filling. Their dosas aren't bad, but are little small compared to ones I've had at other places. Madras Palace in Scarborough makes a good dosa, ditto for Uddapai (I'm spelling this wrong) on Gerrard St. The vegetable thali (platter) is pretty good, but it's pretty authentic. I'm used to North Indian food myself, so some of the items you get in the thali are exotic even by my standards. I'd stick to the dosa. Their Madras Coffee is really good. Basically it's coffee brewed with milk served in a metal cup. They give you a small pot to pour the coffee in to cool it down, just like they do in South India.

-tmw
Feb 26, 2004
374 posts
9 upvotes
SB is a very good south indian restaurant. Have been to their locations in kl, malaysia and singapore. Food is not too spicy but portion sizes can be a bit small. you don't get penalised for "sharing" so 4 meals for 3 people is usually a good bet.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2588 posts
Mississauga
A honest opinon about SB: I went to the one here in Mississauga, also i have eaten at the India Karol Bhag Location, and in India it tased so much better, but then agina comparing the SB here to other i would its pretty good, plus it has very fast service.
Sep 20, 2003
217 posts
I'd steer clear of the one in mississauga...

My sister got a short 'n' curly in her food the last (and I mean last) time we were there.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4557 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
Bindy wrote:I'd steer clear of the one in mississauga...

My sister got a short 'n' curly in her food the last (and I mean last) time we were there.
Oops.. my bad.
Jun 22, 2005
787 posts
i always wanted to visit their location in mississauga but couldn't make it as they r so far from me...
now they r coming down to scarborough, hooray... will visit them soon...

i have had it in chennai.... they smell/taste good...
faizal :lol:
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
The place at Woodside Square looks pretty modern. How much are the dosa & thali platters?
Dec 22, 2004
461 posts
The Modem Wizard wrote:Uddapai (I'm spelling this wrong) on Gerrard St.
Do you mean Udupi? That place is pretty good! I love S Indian food as it's not as filled with butter as N Indian ones, though I don't know too much about Indian food in general. I've been to the SB in Mississauga, but I found the portions very small, and I was told that some side dishes were rip-offs in terms of price. If you wanted to eat a full meal at SB (at least in Mississauga), it would get really costly, fast.... and I ended up paying $20 for myself, which was kind of ridiculous for what I ate. Udupi, on the other hand, had more reasonable prices.

Tasty dishes are:

"masala dosa" (giant crispy crepe with potato curry filling)
"thali" where you get little portions of everything
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4557 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
Kai Viti wrote:The place at Woodside Square looks pretty modern. How much are the dosa & thali platters?
ate there last week... its too authentic, the place is infested with fleas!
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
ferkel wrote:ate there last week... its too authentic, the place is infested with fleas!
:lol: In the food, or floating around? How much for dosa or thali platter?
Oct 24, 2003
115 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
went to check out their missisagua location a couple weeks ago, it was okay but I found it a little pricey for what you actually get. One would need to spend like $20 for lunch to get 'full'