• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2021 10:36 pm
[OP]
May 22, 2017
29 posts
8 upvotes

New Sneaker Purchase

I have been having foot pain for about 3 years due to what my doctor says is Plantar Fasciitis. I have tried physico; 2 different sets or custom orthotics; shockwave therapy and various types of footwear. A friend of mine that has similar issues said she was advised to try a sneaker brand called Asics, the Gel type. Anyway until the lockdown ends I will have to wait a bit longer for that as it is hard for me normally to find a comfortable pair that work to some degree. My preferred indoor sandal for my feet is call Oofos which I will be replacing in a few days with a fresh new pair. So far these are the most comfortable I have been able to find. Getting back to purchasing a pair of sneakers for outdoor walking I have noticed that my footwear has some wear patterns which are the same on all my footwear, see image. This wear pattern is from a pair I wore last summer outdoors and not my indoor pair. The indoor pair is fine but due to having them for a few years that have lost a bit of their cushion feeling. Any suggestions as to what type of wear pattern this is and any brand of footwear that would be worth trying. Thanks for an suggestions.
20210522_094128.jpg
3 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12188 posts
2790 upvotes
Paul61 wrote: I have been having foot pain for about 3 years due to what my doctor says is Plantar Fasciitis. I have tried physico; 2 different sets or custom orthotics; shockwave therapy and various types of footwear. A friend of mine that has similar issues said she was advised to try a sneaker brand called Asics, the Gel type. Anyway until the lockdown ends I will have to wait a bit longer for that as it is hard for me normally to find a comfortable pair that work to some degree. My preferred indoor sandal for my feet is call Oofos which I will be replacing in a few days with a fresh new pair. So far these are the most comfortable I have been able to find. Getting back to purchasing a pair of sneakers for outdoor walking I have noticed that my footwear has some wear patterns which are the same on all my footwear, see image. This wear pattern is from a pair I wore last summer outdoors and not my indoor pair. The indoor pair is fine but due to having them for a few years that have lost a bit of their cushion feeling. Any suggestions as to what type of wear pattern this is and any brand of footwear that would be worth trying. Thanks for an suggestions.

20210522_094128.jpg
The lateral wear pattern suggests that you supinate when you walk/run. Having Plantar Fasciitis is more common with supination. I'm going to take a stab and say you have high arches?

Normally when you walk/run your foot generally strikes the ground on the lateral (outer edge) side and then your feet rolls inwards to a neutral position. Pronation is when it rotates too much and the bulks of the weight is on the medial (inside edge) side of the foot and supination is when it doesn't roll enough.

It's best you get a gait test to fully understand how your foot is hitting the ground. Gait tests are free at many running stores. Then from there get shoes that will help. Generally that would be shoes that have more stability, cushioning and flexibility.

Also ask your friend what the exact model of the shoe is. Just saying Asics Gel is the same as saying Nike Air or Adidas Boost. It's just tech they use, the comfort and usage of the shoes can drastically vary.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
258 upvotes
joeyjoejoe did a good job of summarizing things.

Based on the pic provided i would put you in a highly cushioned neutral shoe. people with high arches generally need a shoe with pretty good cushioning. you don't need to stick to Asics, there are lots of good shoes out there and each shoe will fit a bit different so try a few pairs to make sure. I would get you to try Saucony Triumph, Brooks Glycerin, New Balance 1080, Asics Nimbus, Hoka Bondi 7. You should find a good fit in one of those.

And with respect to your PF I have found that rolling a hard ball (like lacrosse ball) under your arch back and forth does a good job of loosening things up. as painful as that might be it's the only thing that worked for me when I had it.
Sep 7, 2010
135 posts
60 upvotes
T.Dot
Therapist here - that looks like a fairly 'normal' wear pattern at the heel. What is interesting is the wear and tear at the forefoot - are you doing more sprinting or jogging? I can't get over how much wear you have at the ball and almost at the toes of your feet. I agree with the comment above about shoes with additional cushioning too.

There are a few other things to keep in mind:
A: gait pattern which someone has mentioned. The wear pattern in the forefoot is going to come up again because dang! What the heck is going on over there.
B: Are you overweight?
C: PF needs to be addressed as soon as you get out of bed - that means, as soon as you spin around, you are either going to be doing your exercises or you are going to slip into proper footwear. Lying down all night and then going full weightbearing is going to be one of the most painful episodes.