New Sod - more help needed

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 10:50 am
[OP]
Jan 15, 2004
304 posts
1 upvote

New Sod - more help needed

Thanks everyone for your advice on the sprinkler question. Many of the brown patched seemed to have recovered and turned green. However I had a couple of other questions:

I had my sod installed by a landscaper on July 2 , so it's been about 16 days. The roots seemed to have taken hold as I've tried tugging at the corners and it won't lift. However the grass seems to be uneven/slightly bumpy when I walk on it. So just wondering if that will eventually settle down on its own or if I need to do something? Is running a lawn roller advisable to get the lawn even/flat? Would mowing help - perhaps due to the weight of the lawn mower ?
(As you can tell from my questions I'm a complete noob at this and in hindsight should have hired someone better to do the job)

Looking forward to your advice !
Last edited by avid on Jul 18th, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6627 posts
2987 upvotes
Paris
avid wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 10:14 am
Hi
I recently had new sod installed about a week and a half ago and have been using a sled oscillating sprinkler and a bunch of areas seem to be going brown and I was told that this type of sprinkler isn't great as the water stream goes really high and has small droplets, leading to less concentrated watering. So I was looking for suggestions on which type might be more appropriate to use. I have an L shaped lawn which totals about 1200 sq ft. I am not looking to install a system, just need something that I can insert the hose into.

I've Included a picture of the current one I'm using.

Looking forward to your advice !
I own about 6 or 7 heads built for an inground system I set up for various parts of the lawn attached to spikes.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Jan 15, 2004
304 posts
1 upvote
Thanks - however I was looking for recommendations on sprinklers I can attach the hose to rather than installing an underground system.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1930 posts
901 upvotes
Alliston, ON
avid wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:50 pm
Thanks - however I was looking for recommendations on sprinklers I can attach the hose to rather than installing an underground system.
Its not an underground system, it's just a spiked sprinkler base that you connect the hose to and it uses a rotor type sprinkler head. You can DIY it or buy complete
Dec 23, 2010
157 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I think the sprinkler is fine, what you need to check is that the brown areas are getting the proper amount of water (tuna can or something left on the sod with the sprinkler on and see how much water you're putting down) and the sod is making contact with the ground underneath. We also just had a very hot week, your grass should recover when it gets cooler if you keep watering it.
Jun 23, 2019
35 posts
7 upvotes
Have you tried lowering the water pressure down a bit so the water doesn't go very high? I live in a new construction home and they put the sod down 2 weeks ago, I use the same type of sprinkler you have and it has been working great for me. Keep in mind there will be some brown spots no matter how much you water, I have a few spots like that myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6627 posts
2987 upvotes
Paris
schade wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:05 pm
Its not an underground system, it's just a spiked sprinkler base that you connect the hose to and it uses a rotor type sprinkler head. You can DIY it or buy complete
No one had the completes when I bought. But I think I got 90% of my heads off season at the restore for pennies on the dollar, then attached a quick connect. Most stay in position and I lug the hose to them.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Dec 18, 2017
492 posts
199 upvotes
London, On
I find the little cheap plastic circle things work best for soaking an area, but you have to constantly move it around. A soaker hose might also work well if you have a longer, skinnier area. For a broad area, the kind you have is the best, you just have to make sure you have it aimed right so you aren't wasting water on a driveway or the road. Time of day matters as well. A good soaking at 6am works better than at, say, 11am. And in the heart of summer like we are now, evenings are also good, despite many claiming that water in the evening can cause fungus or whatever to grow overnight.
Apr 5, 2009
555 posts
139 upvotes
I fell in love with this orbit gear motor sprinkler last year. Infinite control of pattern. Made of plastic but I'm on year 2 and have never gone back
Images
  • 20190713_182739.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1360 posts
1096 upvotes
New sod never looks great.

It takes time to get the grass to take.

Just give it lots of water and if you need to move the sprinkler around to get good coverage, then move it around.

Just make sure to try and avoid walking on it and give it lots of water to get that roots to take. Less walking will mean less stress on the roots.
Apr 30, 2013
599 posts
283 upvotes
King City
I recommend the Gilmour Pattern Master sprinkler - adjustable coverage and currently on sale at Canadian Tire for $24.99.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2004
304 posts
1 upvote
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and reassurance - lawn seems to be doing better but had a few more questions above where I need some advice. Thanks again
Dec 18, 2017
492 posts
199 upvotes
London, On
avid wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 6:15 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and reassurance - lawn seems to be doing better but had a few more questions above where I need some advice. Thanks again
Should be no harm in running a roller over it. In my second new home, the lawn crew that sodded a good chunk of the neighbourhood in a couple days ran a power roller (looks like a small version of the same thing they use to roll out asphalt on the road or driveway, maybe it actually is the same unit lol), right after they laid the sod.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2004
304 posts
1 upvote
Thanks - I was looking into renting the manual one from home Depot but I have also read that it can lead to too much soil compaction which is not good - so a bit confused...
Apr 8, 2010
664 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
if it was me, i'd leave for the time being. on new sod, there will always be brown spot for various different reason. come late summer/ early fall, i'd aerate and then lay some top dressing and slap some seed and fertilizer down. start a routine. don't stress too much of the brown spots right now.

since it's a new build, i'd be hesitant on rolling it as the ground was probably pretty compacted with all the heavy machinery.