• May 29th, 2021 9:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes

New ssd--Delete Partitions?

The IT guy at work cloned my 256 ssd in my Certified Data desktop to a new 500gb Samsung 870. However, I now have 4 partitions in the new ssd: C drive (213GB), recovery partition (500MB) , data partition (9.77GB) , and now what he called the F drive (242GB). I also have a 1TB hdd as the D drive. He said that he could not change or move the partitions because of the way Certified Data set it up. However, he could delete the recovery and data partitions to enlarge the C drive, but would lose recovery options. I told him to leave as is, in part because I was confused.

My main reason for the extra ssd space is for Screen-cast-0-matic, which I use to record lectures. If I incorporate film clips some lectures are 20-30GB. Without Screen-cast I have 70GB of room on the C drive, so the F drive will now be the repository for the lectures once recorded and edited. Should I get rid of the partitions as it is easier to work with one C drive, or leave as is? Perhaps I should move the entire Screen-cast program to the F drive?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3180 posts
946 upvotes
Toronto
Its a bit hard to follow. Can you take a screenshot of your disk partitions? (Win key > type Create and format hard disk partitions > enlarge the window so that everything can be seen)
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3180 posts
946 upvotes
Toronto
Oh so you want to get rid of the F: volume and expand the storage in C: drive?
You can probably just copy those "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" and "Rec_img" partitions to another drive/usb. Delete those partitions + "Lecture Storage (F:)". Expand the Windows C: storage, then move back the recovery partitions back.

This video gives a good explanation how partitions work

¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Feb 9, 2008
404 posts
327 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You should leave the recovery partitions as-is, since they're negligible in size.
The 100 MB is part of Windows boot. Do not delete this or you might have problems starting Windows.
500 MB is part of Windows recovery.
9.77 GB is the Certified Data recovery image.

Keeping the F drive and storing your videos there would be best practice. If you somehow manage to fill 100% of C drive, it will likely cause issues or slowdowns with Windows.

There's no need to move the screen cast program, just change where the videos are saved: https://support.screencast-o-matic.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-to-change-the-location-where-your-recordings-are-stored
I suggest moving your existing videos there as well, so you have more room on C drive.

What you should do if you find yourself needing more room in the future, is buy a 1TB or 4TB drive and install it in the computer.
It doesn't have to be a SSD; WD Blue or Black drive are cheaper and good enough for storing.
Then you can just change the save location to the new drive without having to clone your C drive.

Another suggestion is to have a backup of the videos, in case of hardware failure. Whether it's an external USB drive or the cloud (e.g. Backblaze cloud backup).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
Thanks, people. I am leaning toward leaving as is, I just don't like the hassle of 3 separate drives for storage, C, D, and F. D drive is a 1TB hdd that I keep videos and the OneDrive on. I was hoping with the expanded C drive I could go back to using OneDrive there, but maybe I should move it to the F drive.

it is not hard to move folders for Screen-cast, and they give you loads of cloud storage, so anything on the computer is a backup.

Two more questions after the cloning. Now Adobe says I have to sign out of the old hard drive and sign in to the new one. I thought with cloning this wasn't an issue? Might there be other software that will ask the same question? Also, Windows Start has stopped working.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
Actually, not having Windows Start is annoying. I've tried rebooting, restarting Explorer in task manager, and did a scannow in Powershell that said it fixed any issues. Also updated Windows. Still have issue.
Feb 9, 2008
404 posts
327 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You probably need to deactivate Adobe and re-activate.
You should be able to sign in to adobe.com and deactivate your "old" computer. Then just sign out/in again on Acrobat then activate.

What's wrong with the Start menu?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
zerod wrote: You probably need to deactivate Adobe and re-activate.
You should be able to sign in to adobe.com and deactivate your "old" computer. Then just sign out/in again on Acrobat then activate.

What's wrong with the Start menu?
The Start Menu won't open. I get the blue wheel for a second or so, but nothing happens.
Feb 9, 2008
404 posts
327 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Seems like a common problem with cloning, with no clear fix. Never seen it myself, though.
Give the resolution steps here a try:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/54877

Edit: Also try changing the default display, if you have multiple monitors, then change it back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
zerod wrote: Seems like a common problem with cloning, with no clear fix. Never seen it myself, though.
Give the resolution steps here a try:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/54877

Edit: Also try changing the default display, if you have multiple monitors, then change it back.
Those steps in the link are beyond my comfort level.
Feb 9, 2008
404 posts
327 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Philbert wrote: Those steps in the link are beyond my comfort level.
Try changing the default monitor, then.
Some people ran into a similar issue after a Windows update, and that fixed it for them.
If you have only one monitor, maybe plugging it into a different connector will do the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
zerod wrote: Try changing the default monitor, then.
Some people ran into a similar issue after a Windows update, and that fixed it for them.
If you have only one monitor, maybe plugging it into a different connector will do the same.
I only have one monitor, and one hdmi port. Thanks, though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
To wrap up: IT could not get the Start menu to work. I told them to forget it and put the original ssd back in and turn the Samsung into a 3rd storage space. Take desktop home and it won’t recognize Windows. Can’t get in at all—just a blue screen. IT says it was working fine before. They try to get it to load Windows when suddenly all the info disappears from the drive. Partitions empty.

So now I have a clean install on the Samsung and get to spend the weekend getting it back to the way I want it. Everything was backed up to Onedrive and FileHistory. The only thing I appear to have lost is Shaw emails between Sept and March. I use a pop account and for some reason I can’t find latest pst in FileHistory. IT guy felt terrible. I’m not sure whether it is his fault or not. He’s done lots of cloning for colleagues. Anyway, stuff happens.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3180 posts
946 upvotes
Toronto
That sucks, the IT guy seems pretty incompetent tbh. This is why doing clean install on fully empty drive is always recommended over cloning. Good that you got your files backed up at least.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13846 posts
3017 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Grab this Macrium WinPE ISO, use it to make a bootable flash drive, and clone the drive yourself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Grab this Macrium WinPE ISO, use it to make a bootable flash drive, and clone the drive yourself.
That’s what IT used first time and it messed up start menu. Too late now anyway. The original ssd is toast and I now have a clean install on the Samsung. I hate reinstalling iTunes.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13846 posts
3017 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Philbert wrote: I hate reinstalling iTunes.
Then don't :) .

Do you know if he cloned Windows while running Macrium in Windows? The general thinking is to clone an OS when not running the OS because it may cause issues. Just want to know for curiosity.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1288 posts
466 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Then don't :) .

Do you know if he cloned Windows while running Macrium in Windows? The general thinking is to clone an OS when not running the OS because it may cause issues. Just want to know for curiosity.
I have no idea!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)