• Oct 28th, 2019 12:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto

New System Build - Advice

I'm typically not the one to start one of these threads but it has been quite some time since I have built a computer and kept up to date with current hardware. Looking to purchase in the next month or so and these are some parts that I am looking to get, any comments and feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated! I do intend to OC but would like to stay on Air cooling. The purpose of this build is to play AAA titles on a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Side question - would it be worthwhile to delay upgrade until April 2020 (Cyberpunk release)? Any significant change in hardware (CPU / GPU) over the next few months?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3TFLV6

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($498.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($227.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($195.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card ($1059.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2372.41
18 replies
Jan 22, 2015
594 posts
640 upvotes
N/A
Looks good. As to your side question, it's always better to delay until you're ready to build since hardware is a moving window and there may be sales or updates or faults revealed in the meantime. If you're wanting to play now...well, I personally don't think you'll be missing a whole lot between now and then based on what your stated uses are for the rig.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19131 posts
7230 upvotes
Toronto
You forgot to add a computer case and power supply.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote: I would get this 144HZ/1440P monitor

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lg-32-qhd- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Already have a monitor so won’t be needed!
carmaster wrote: You forgot to add a computer case and power supply.
Will be reusing my case and PSU from my current build

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just wanted to see if the 9709 is still a solid buy and that the 2080 super is the right choice
Aug 30, 2019
7 posts
9 upvotes
Interesting as i just started researching for a new build after 7 years since my last.
to my surprise the recently released Ryzen 7 cpu's are very competitive performance and price wise and jump ahead of intel with Ryzens 7nm chips. They include a cooler that will work well right out of the box, and you can get a adapter kit for your noctura.

I haven't used AMD since 2004, but I really like the competition they are giving peresently.

the 2080 will work fine with your resolution.
Jan 22, 2015
594 posts
640 upvotes
N/A
radio67 wrote: Interesting as i just started researching for a new build after 7 years since my last.
to my surprise the recently released Ryzen 7 cpu's are very competitive performance and price wise and jump ahead of intel with Ryzens 7nm chips. They include a cooler that will work well right out of the box, and you can get a adapter kit for your noctura.

I haven't used AMD since 2004, but I really like the competition they are giving peresently.

I didn't mention the AMD options as I thought that might add confusion to the topic. I'm personally fascinated at what the upcoming AMD threadrippers are going to bring to the table.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
Better card than the Asus? I have a Strix 1070 now and quite happy with it hence why I thought I stick to the same brand.
radio67 wrote: Interesting as i just started researching for a new build after 7 years since my last.

I haven't looked too much into AMD offerings - I haven't used AMD since the Athlon 64 X2! I remembered that was ground breaking vs Intel offering at that time.

I guess for my price range I'm looking into the Ryzen 7 3700X - have to do some research to see how that competes with the 9700k. Of course intend to OC either CPU.
ElDealioSupremo wrote:
I didn't mention the AMD options as I thought that might add confusion to the topic. I'm personally fascinated at what the upcoming AMD threadrippers are going to bring to the table.
I like to hear the opinions simply because I am not that partial to a brand. Want something that will last me years to come as well (currently running a i7 4790k) so if the long term proposition is there I definitely don't mind switching brands.
Jan 22, 2015
594 posts
640 upvotes
N/A
bst wrote: [...] Want something that will last me years to come as well (currently running a i7 4790k) so if the long term proposition is there I definitely don't mind switching brands.
Long term value is most likely to be determined by the maximum number of cores you can afford coupled with the highest clock rate you can, um, cool. Naturally, this needs to be tempered by your use case. As a primarily a gaming rig you aren't really looking to maximize core count right now (since if you can, let's say, build the system you've specc'd to this point, you're in a position to upgrade a little sooner next time as prices come to less heady level down the road)

So... If you have some time to consider, the Ryzen 3 series is interesting, giving Intel a run for it's money. There's the new PCIe 4 to consider as well: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what- ... 39063.html

But... Upgrading is a moving target at the best of times and it's difficult to say, "Wait, there's a show stopper on the horizon!" I think you've put together a decent system to do as you say, play triple A games at 1440P/144Hz. The AMD HEDT chips coming are going to command a hefty premium for a utility that may be marginal for what you want....which circles me 'round for not bringing it up before.

Not super helpful, but if you're not in a rush....well, lol, there's always "something". :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
Foe a video card I would buy an EVGA. Nobody and I mean nobody even comes close when it comes to their warranty and customer service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
ElDealioSupremo wrote: Long term value is most likely to be determined by the maximum number of cores you can afford coupled with the highest clock rate you can, um, cool. Naturally, this needs to be tempered by your use case. As a primarily a gaming rig you aren't really looking to maximize core count right now (since if you can, let's say, build the system you've specc'd to this point, you're in a position to upgrade a little sooner next time as prices come to less heady level down the road)

So... If you have some time to consider, the Ryzen 3 series is interesting, giving Intel a run for it's money. There's the new PCIe 4 to consider as well: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what- ... 39063.html

But... Upgrading is a moving target at the best of times and it's difficult to say, "Wait, there's a show stopper on the horizon!" I think you've put together a decent system to do as you say, play triple A games at 1440P/144Hz. The AMD HEDT chips coming are going to command a hefty premium for a utility that may be marginal for what you want....which circles me 'round for not bringing it up before.

Not super helpful, but if you're not in a rush....well, lol, there's always "something". :)
Totally agree that upgrading is a moving target so I know well enough to not play the waiting game forever. Based on some recommendations here seems like I actually will go with a AMD 3700X vs the 4790k. At 1440p the fps is only slightly better on the 4790 but the AMD is a much more versatile CPU with a better upgrade path.
Jan 22, 2015
594 posts
640 upvotes
N/A
bst wrote: Totally agree that upgrading is a moving target so I know well enough to not play the waiting game forever. Based on some recommendations here seems like I actually will go with a AMD 3700X vs the 4790k. At 1440p the fps is only slightly better on the 4790 but the AMD is a much more versatile CPU with a better upgrade path.
I think you'll be happy with your decision. I would also consider jackrabbit000's recco about EVGA. I have one of thier 1080Ti's and got to that point via their upgrade path...that aside, they're very good in terms of customer service and warranty so you wouldn't go wrong there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
Thought I give an update - with all the suggestions here ended up with a 3700x build - decided to upgrade the case and PSU as well given they are at least they are 9+ years old. Definitely a speed improvement from a 4790k :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

computer.jpeg
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2701 posts
1995 upvotes
Markham
bst wrote: Thought I give an update - with all the suggestions here ended up with a 3700x build - decided to upgrade the case and PSU as well given they are at least they are 9+ years old. Definitely a speed improvement from a 4790k :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

computer.jpeg
Nice.

Your build is more sensible than mine as I went YOLO on a few things. I held back on the GPU, I thought I was going with 5700XT but I'm intrigued by the Big Navi or the rumoured Nvidia Killer. As a result my 3900X build looks overkill except the 780Ti stuck in there as that's totally out of place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
JeganV wrote: Nice.

Your build is more sensible than mine as I went YOLO on a few things. I held back on the GPU, I thought I was going with 5700XT but I'm intrigued by the Big Navi or the rumoured Nvidia Killer. As a result my 3900X build looks overkill except the 780Ti stuck in there as that's totally out of place.
Couldn't justify the price bump to a 3900x but even I thought I went a bit overkill with the rest of the components. Can't imagine what you have running!
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2701 posts
1995 upvotes
Markham
bst wrote: Couldn't justify the price bump to a 3900x but even I thought I went a bit overkill with the rest of the components. Can't imagine what you have running!
Actually the 3900X was the only bit I could justify, I've significantly increased the amount of video renderings in the past 2 years. So I do actually use all 12 cores a good amount, and this is the first time I can actually do something else while rendering and its fast too, my old 6 core i7-4930K literally couldn't do anything else during the rendering and now that I've done quite a few on this new rig, my old rig took 3 times as long to render than this 3900X which is massively impressive. Where I my financial sanity could be put into question is RAM, I've never spent so much on it before but I just wanted to try B-die, Power supply again never spent so much on one before although I'm very impressed with it and more justifiable if I transfer it to any next build which I would since its got a 12 year warranty, and motherboard all X570 motherboards are expensive but the higher end ones are pretty taxing.

If I were being financially sensible and seeking value I'd probably be able to cut probably $500 and still get a rig that runs just as great, a lot of it was the freaking memory too.

If you're wondering its:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax - With the Chromax covers
Memory: 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C

All other items were migrated, but just these parts alone was about $2200, again still no modern GPU.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1467 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
JeganV wrote: Actually the 3900X was the only bit I could justify, I've significantly increased the amount of video renderings in the past 2 years. So I do actually use all 12 cores a good amount, and this is the first time I can actually do something else while rendering and its fast too, my old 6 core i7-4930K literally couldn't do anything else during the rendering and now that I've done quite a few on this new rig, my old rig took 3 times as long to render than this 3900X which is massively impressive. Where I my financial sanity could be put into question is RAM, I've never spent so much on it before but I just wanted to try B-die, Power supply again never spent so much on one before although I'm very impressed with it and more justifiable if I transfer it to any next build which I would since its got a 12 year warranty, and motherboard all X570 motherboards are expensive but the higher end ones are pretty taxing.

If I were being financially sensible and seeking value I'd probably be able to cut probably $500 and still get a rig that runs just as great, a lot of it was the freaking memory too.

If you're wondering its:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax - With the Chromax covers
Memory: 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C

All other items were migrated, but just these parts alone was about $2200, again still no modern GPU.
That's a nice system! Since I don't render or do any video intensive tasks I can argue that the 3700x is overkill for me already. I can say the 9900k is better for my needs (gaming) but it's hard to justify when the Ryzen trumps it in any multitasking.

Your mobo, ram, and psu is definitely a splurge purchase but I'm sure it will last years to come. I actually have a Define R5 which I could totally reuse but wanted more airflow and USB-C so went with the Meshify S2. The Noctua case fans were reused from the old case. Definitely louder but temps are much more reasonable when gaming.
Aug 30, 2019
7 posts
9 upvotes
Nice systems.
I used to try and do a cheap build until my last one some 7 years ago when I went all out. the end result was I kept it twice as long as previous builds and it ended up being cheaper. that's the nice thing about the x570 boards. presently overkill on pcie 4, but if you can manage to keep your system some years longer, it ends up being cheaper.