Real Estate

New tenant had professional repaint the whole condo and plaster holes for ~2,500$

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2021 6:48 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
287 posts
38 upvotes

New tenant had professional repaint the whole condo and plaster holes for ~2,500$

Hey guys!

My new tenant (nice 65 years old lady) is a bit of a cleanliness maniac had my entire condo repainted by professionals. 3 layers.
There were also some smalls holes from a couple of shelves and frames left by previous tenants. She also had these plastered by the painters.

She was billed ~2,500$ for this.
The condo is a 4 1/2, 1100 sf and the rent is ~1100$/m.

With the rent, I don't think make enough profit in 2 years to pay for this.

I obviously don't want to pay for the whole thing. She has not asked for that either but she's probably expecting me to pay at least some part of it.

I was thinking of paying the materials (paint and plaster).

What do you think?

Thanks!
23 replies
Aug 15, 2018
88 posts
93 upvotes
This is a great example of how poor communication can really screw you over.

Never agree to a job without agreeing on the price beforehand.
Also, did the tenant ask you if she can hire painters to do a job of this size? Did you not discuss who is responsible for covering that cost?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1320 posts
740 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I am not even sure she was allowed to paint for solely cosmetic reasons without your permission.
If I was a landlord, I would take issues with a tenant who goes rouge and decides that red is the new white and go ham on my property and then expects me to pay for it. I think in your case, seems like she paint it a tasteful colour and you're fine with it.
I would just ignore it unless she comes knocking for money in which case, I don't think you're obligated for any of it unless there was significant damages or smells which the paint job fixed.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2519 posts
4103 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't offer to pay a dime in this situation if she never spoke to you about it. If it's anything other than original colours I'd expect to be reimbursed for the damage and restoring to original if not remedied when they move out.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
287 posts
38 upvotes
I'm sorry I re-red my original post and saw I forgot to mention I did tell her during the initial visit that if she wanted to paint a couple of walls I would cover the cost of the paint.

I made it very clear I would only pay for the paint only however and it was clear I wasn't talking about repainting the whole condo with 3 layers.

She painted the whole condo in white so no issues there.

Would 500$ seem reasonable?

Thanks
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3030 posts
2842 upvotes
Montreal
Malkavian wrote: if she wanted to paint a couple of walls I would cover the cost of the paint.
Keep your promise, and a little bit more, but no more: Pay half her paint bill, 0% of her labour bill.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1412 posts
2008 upvotes
Malkavian wrote: I'm sorry I re-red my original post and saw I forgot to mention I did tell her during the initial visit that if she wanted to paint a couple of walls I would cover the cost of the paint.

I made it very clear I would only pay for the paint only however and it was clear I wasn't talking about repainting the whole condo with 3 layers.

She painted the whole condo in white so no issues there.

Would 500$ seem reasonable?

Thanks
It was her choice to hire a professional to do the painting. You agreed to only pay for the paint so that is all you need to pay for. If you would like to ask her for the bill you could look at it to see the cost of the paint and pay for that. I think $500 can be reasonable depending on the kind of paint chosen, some are more expensive. She did three layers so who knows how much was used. There is no reason to pay her more and she actually said only a couple of walls so I think $500 would be more than enough for the cost of paint for a few walls. She really should have asked you before she went and did that.
Oct 22, 2016
746 posts
652 upvotes
Comox Valley
Tough situation. I think your tenant is out of line here, by doing all that work. Due to that just pay what you think is fair.
Aug 11, 2019
188 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
It's also about the principle, how does she not communicate this to you. Just have a blunt and respectable conversation about how much she is expecting you to reimburse her.
I'd just give the tenant a month free in this situation, instead of paying her directly.
Full Time Realtor
GTA & Surrounding Areas
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46707 posts
9803 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
what the heck.

Isn't it usually the tenant that offers to pay for the paint and do it themselves... and just ask the owner for permission?
Thats what I did @ my last place... "can I paint it blue? I'm paying for the paint and do it myself..."
"yah ok"

done.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7559 posts
4896 upvotes
Victoria, BC
UrbanPoet wrote: what the heck.

Isn't it usually the tenant that offers to pay for the paint and do it themselves... and just ask the owner for permission?
Thats what I did @ my last place... "can I paint it blue? I'm paying for the paint and do it myself..."
"yah ok"

done.
No, it isn't. Lots of times a tenant will get reimbursed by a landlord for making these improvements. It sounds like the place was in need of repairs (drywall repairs) and a fresh painting. She sounds like a great tenant to me. The fact that OP is posting on here instead of communicating in a straight forward way with his tenant is odd to me. If she hasn't asked OP to cover the entire cost, then why is OP assuming anything without even speaking to her? She probably only expects to be reimbursed some of the cost of the paint, which is what they already agreed on. Shaking my head here.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10681 posts
13377 upvotes
Toronto
I would just say thanks and leave it at that. It's not your responsibility to pay for a cosmetic change a tenant did of their own volition.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46707 posts
9803 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Chickinvic wrote: No, it isn't. Lots of times a tenant will get reimbursed by a landlord for making these improvements. It sounds like the place was in need of repairs (drywall repairs) and a fresh painting. She sounds like a great tenant to me. The fact that OP is posting on here instead of communicating in a straight forward way with his tenant is odd to me. If she hasn't asked OP to cover the entire cost, then why is OP assuming anything without even speaking to her? She probably only expects to be reimbursed some of the cost of the paint, which is what they already agreed on. Shaking my head here.
If the walls were in need of repair thats a different story.
I was thinking more along the lines of a cosmetic preference to walls that were perfectly fine.
The place i did it @ had walls in fine shape. Just a a shade of yellow that was kind of odd. Changed it to a light babu blue that was colourful yet neutral.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1080 posts
1238 upvotes
Just ask her what her expectations for reimbursement are.

- If she wants you to pick up the entire tab, then you let her know that the understanding was that it would just be the paint for a couple of walls and that you can't afford to reimburse her more than $500, given your situation.
- If she only wants you to pay for what was agreed upon, then great.
- If she's not expecting to be reimbursed at all, well you can still give her $500 as a gesture of goodwill.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18758 posts
3095 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
$500 seems more than reasonable.

Obviously, there is a lesson here for all of us about verifying how many layers of paint you'd pay for. And whether you're willing to pay for ultra-premium paint.

Here in BC, landlords are responsible for painting at reasonable intervals. If the place really needed paint, I'd be happy to pay $500 for paint and end up with a professional-grade job with drywall repaired. That would be a win overall.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12633 posts
9240 upvotes
Edmonton
Some of you are missing the OP’s second post in this thread, where he told the tenant in the initial viewing that he would cover the cost of the paint.

Still seems like the easiest thing to do would be to have a conversation with the tenant, and then post here if you CAN’T come to a mutually acceptable arrangement.

C
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1164 posts
1045 upvotes
ON
OP while I don’t have a suggestion on how much or not to contribute - because this will really depend on the exact conversation that was had between the two of you - look at the brighter side (if she is a good tenant): she is unlikely to move anytime soon based on the investment she has done.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1017 posts
791 upvotes
BC
It's not rocket engineering. What was agreed?
Jan 2, 2021
71 posts
83 upvotes
Next she will reno the kitchen and pass you a 30k bill
Jan 27, 2008
8 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I’d like to know if there are any more of these magical 1100 sq ft condos for $1100! lol
That’s cheaper than most basement nightmares…