• Jun 5th, 2021 10:37 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
310 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto

New tires mounted and balanced, now car vibrates the faster I drive

Hello,

I just bought 4 new tires, had them mounted and balanced at the same place. Now all of a sudden my car starts to vibrate a lot, especially at highway speeds.

Is it common for tire shops to miss the mark on the first tire balancing? I plan on going back to have the tires rebalanced but I am worried they might deflect the problem on a different issue. I never had any vibration issues on the prior tires.

(Note: I have some squeaking from rear breaks when slowing down with foot off the gas, but this was present on the old tires and I didn't experience any vibrations)
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16495 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
It happens. Or weights fall off. Or they have a crappy machine.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
4045 posts
3607 upvotes
The NORTH
engineered wrote: It happens. Or weights fall off. Or they have a crappy machine.
This. Have had it happen once a long time ago at a walmart tire lube.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11499 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Where did you get them balanced? Its possible they did not do a good job and should redo it for free.
I have heard stories where they still cant get it perfect and you need to go to a shop with a Roadforce balancing machine, its a higher end machine that will simulate the tire being on the road so you get an accurate balance where the older machines sometimes have issues getting it perfect.

[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
310 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: Where did you get them balanced? Its possible they did not do a good job and should redo it for free.
I have heard stories where they still cant get it perfect and you need to go to a shop with a Roadforce balancing machine, its a higher end machine that will simulate the tire being on the road so you get an accurate balance where the older machines sometimes have issues getting it perfect.

tireworld brampton
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1707 posts
1426 upvotes
Stop driving now. You may have a loose wheel.

Make sure all the wheels are fully seated on the hubs.

Make sure all the wheels nuts are torqued.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1661 posts
2408 upvotes
West
Take them back to the shop ASAP to have them re-balanced. The longer you wait, the less likely they'll redo it for free, as labour warranty tends to be very short.

Had the same problem as you for my new set of tires a few months ago, and did exactly that. Problem went away after, and didn't get charged another cent.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4807 posts
6021 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hydewolf wrote: tireworld brampton
That place is pure scumbags... don't go there!

Go to tire23...
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
310 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: It happens. Or weights fall off. Or they have a crappy machine.
Ty - this is new to me
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16495 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
billford wrote: Stop driving now. You may have a loose wheel.

Make sure all the wheels are fully seated on the hubs.

Make sure all the wheels nuts are torqued.
Yea, definitely check your lug nuts and make sure everything is seated and properly torqued before driving.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11743 posts
4046 upvotes
Toronto
Go back and get them 4 tires re-balance.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1167 posts
548 upvotes
TORONTO
Yeah check your lug nuts. Most discount tire places don't torque your lugs properly.

I personally am on high alert when I do my change over or get new tires for the first couple of days. When I start hearing weird noises and the car starts to vibrate, 9 times out of 10 I have a few loose lugs. I specifically have my tire iron out and ready to go the first few days. I do the same for my wifes car as well and tell her to stop driving if things seem off when driving it after I change the tires over.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16495 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
akswun wrote: Yeah check your lug nuts. Most discount tire places don't torque your lugs properly.

I personally am on high alert when I do my change over or get new tires for the first couple of days. When I start hearing weird noises and the car starts to vibrate, 9 times out of 10 I have a few loose lugs. I specifically have my tire iron out and ready to go the first few days. I do the same for my wifes car as well and tell her to stop driving if things seem off when driving it after I change the tires over.
??? 90% of the time you have loose lugs? I've never had a loose lug after hundreds of swaps on several cars.
I use a torque wrench and I click each nut in a star pattern, then click then all again. A week later I check and they never move.

Are you using a torque wrench? Seating the wheel properly on the hub and tightening in a star pattern?
Nov 24, 2007
261 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Where is the vibration? In your legs or steering wheel? Are they original wheels or aftermarket? If aftermarket they are probably not hub centric and are missing the centering ring.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
310 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
smileswithadimple wrote: Where is the vibration? In your legs or steering wheel? Are they original wheels or aftermarket? If aftermarket they are probably not hub centric and are missing the centering ring.
legs and steering wheel. original wheels
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
310 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Took the tires back for rebalancing and retorquing. Oddly, I didn't even notice them take the tires off so I am not even sure if they actually rebalanced or just re torqued (same # of weights visible as before). Either way issue solved.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16495 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
hydewolf wrote: Took the tires back for rebalancing and retorquing. Oddly, I didn't even notice them take the tires off so I am not even sure if they actually rebalanced or just re torqued (same # of weights visible as before). Either way issue solved.
Tires off the wheel or wheels off the car? If they didn't take the wheels off the car, then the wheels were probably loose. If that's the case you should inspect your wheels and studs for damage.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
310 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Tires off the wheel or wheels off the car? If they didn't take the wheels off the car, then the wheels were probably loose. If that's the case you should inspect your wheels and studs for damage.
Wheels off the car, but it's possible I may have missed it if they did it super quickly as I could only see one wheel from my view, which left me skeptical. Tech claims they did rebalance. Total process was about 30 mins.
Jan 21, 2011
627 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
Sometimes they just throw weights on, they don’t balance them. It’s a way to get you to come back to the shop. If I didn’t know we anything about cars, I would just stick to Costco for tires and oil change at least.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16495 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
lamin wrote: Sometimes they just throw weights on, they don’t balance them. It’s a way to get you to come back to the shop. If I didn’t know we anything about cars, I would just stick to Costco for tires and oil change at least.
I had my tires mounted at costco once, they scratched up my rim mounting them, and added massive amounts of weights. Stick to the good shops with hunter roadforce balancers if you want a quality job done.