• Jan 6th, 2023 10:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1651 posts
209 upvotes
C-53

New vehicles - Turbo :(

I'm noticing a trend among new Toyotas and perhaps other manufacturers as well -- putting in a Turbo engine for a family sedan like the new Accord .. Tundra? .. Sequoia etc. Am not happy about this. They should keep the turbos for racing and fine tuning for niche segments only while keeping the family car segment as naturally aspirated. Am really not happy about this general direction with Toyota and Honda.

Thoughts?
Please thank me if you find this helpful
127 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5975 posts
4422 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Blame emissions laws, we not gonna go back to naturally aspirated, heck, even turbos are at risk since everything will be electrified.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13424 posts
4337 upvotes
Most people like the fuel economy with the turbo. But definitely not fun to repair or replace. Some places need to replace the entire unit which can be 2 to 3k a piece.

If they produce a sports car EV. All the sports cars will be finished.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32059 posts
19254 upvotes
Toronto
You can still pick up a NA V8 from Lexus side
Jun 21, 2022
662 posts
893 upvotes
Gta
Won’t have to worry about this come 2035.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
bomber17 wrote: Blame emissions laws, we not gonna go back to naturally aspirated, heck, even turbos are at risk since everything will be electrified.
Not emissions (at least directly), but fuel economy. Probably CAFE since it's U.S. influence.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32059 posts
19254 upvotes
Toronto
Fuel economy savings are very minimal or not at all. For example, 2022 Lexus rx350 bs 2023 version. Former uses reg gas vs premium gas for latter.
May 26, 2017
86 posts
65 upvotes
I'd pay more for a car that did not have a turbo.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13209 posts
4818 upvotes
Ontario
Why is that a bad thing in your opinion? When driving normally it can make the car more fuel efficient. But if you need the power to pass somebody its there if needed.
Majority of manufactures have turbos in a lot of their cars, this is nothing new and they are pretty reliable if you do the proper maintenance. Changing your oil on-time and using the proper oil is very important but this is something that should be done regardless if the car is turbo or not.

Also there are cars out there which are turbo charged and still use regular fuel (not premium) so thats a bonus.
doomhammer wrote: I'm noticing a trend among new Toyotas and perhaps other manufacturers as well -- putting in a Turbo engine for a family sedan like the new Accord .. Tundra? .. Sequoia etc. Am not happy about this. They should keep the turbos for racing and fine tuning for niche segments only while keeping the family car segment as naturally aspirated. Am really not happy about this general direction with Toyota and Honda.

Thoughts?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19656 posts
23022 upvotes
GTA
bomber17 wrote: Blame emissions laws, we not gonna go back to naturally aspirated, heck, even turbos are at risk since everything will be electrified.
No, blame consumers. They want lots of torque and power, but low gas usage. They also want giant, heavy SUV. You could get 40+mpg in a 90's Civic with 100hp, but nobody would buy that these days. Instead we have soccer moms driving 400hp SUVs. Most consumers also don't keep a car long enough to worry about post warranty costs.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19656 posts
23022 upvotes
GTA
doomhammer wrote: I'm noticing a trend among new Toyotas and perhaps other manufacturers as well -- putting in a Turbo engine for a family sedan like the new Accord .. Tundra? .. Sequoia etc. Am not happy about this. They should keep the turbos for racing and fine tuning for niche segments only while keeping the family car segment as naturally aspirated. Am really not happy about this general direction with Toyota and Honda.

Thoughts?
First time you bought a car since 2010? This isn't a new trend.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Turbo trend even spread to light trucks, e.g. Ford F-150 with EcoBoost since 2015.

One potential trouble spot for turbos, at least larger turbo diesels, is shut off when hot. Need to idle until the turbo cools down. Pyrometers in medium truck TDs (e.g., Cummins, Caterpillar) usedd in Class A RVs for this purpose.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2991 posts
1695 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Turbo trend even spread to light trucks, e.g. Ford F-150 with EcoBoost since 2015.
And very well received. This article from 2017 indicates an expected 65% of F-150s would be sold in 2018 with a turbo (at the time there were four engines - a NA V6, 2.7t, 3.5t, and 5.0v8) https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/ ... 50-lineup/
thriftshopper wrote: One potential trouble spot for turbos, at least larger turbo diesels, is shut off when hot. Need to idle until the turbo cools down. Pyrometers in medium truck TDs (e.g., Cummins, Caterpillar) usedd in Class A RVs for this purpose.
I remember when Ford brought out the their 3.5L T, it was claimed that convection would cool the turbo if shut off hot; the engine has been around 7 years now and although the engines aren't trouble-free, it doesn't seem that the turbos themselves are problematic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
RubberCheese wrote: I remember when Ford brought out the their 3.5L T, it was claimed that convection would cool the turbo if shut off hot; the engine has been around 7 years now and although the engines aren't trouble-free, it doesn't seem that the turbos themselves are problematic.
I think part of the problem is the turbo spinning at high speed on engine shutdown (evidently takes some time spin down) with the turbo getting no lubrication. One implementation to fix this is something to provide lubrication after engine shutdown. I've never owned (other than a 5 month lease on a TD) a turbo so don't have any experience.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1262 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto
Former Accord turbo owner here. When I bought it I had long commutes, but it was the best decision of my life to return it to the dealer. My mechanic friends didn't recommend to keep it for too long, and the indie mechanic also said they weren't too good. Im happy I got rid of mine as the dillution issues are pretty rampant on this model. Beautiful car outside and inside. I wish they had the 2.4L NA.

With my WFH and short commute to the bus stop in these cold weathers, it wouldve destroyed the car if I still had it. If I'm living in the cold, Im doing whatever I can do avoid Turbos.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19641 posts
20065 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dm1111 wrote: I'd pay more for a car that did not have a turbo.
Same. Not a fan of how turbo engine power curve vs. NA and also the shitty exhaust sounds LOL
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
3454 posts
285 upvotes
Calgary
cannot disable turbo?
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26880 posts
6102 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Same. Not a fan of how turbo engine power curve vs. NA and also the shitty exhaust sounds LOL
You don't like instant power?