Shopping Discussion

NEW Walmart Canada return policy (temporary)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 1:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2506 posts
2140 upvotes
GTA
TrevorE16039 wrote: I live near Hamilton, Ontario. The Upper James Wal-Mart has refused to take my open box return despite their online policy stating otherwise.

This is also the third attempt to do so, the previous time I was told they would accept them when Hamilton entering stage 3 of the province's covid restrictions, which it now has and I've still been refused.

This is getting out of hand, they're changing their in store policy on the fly and not adhering to the one outlined on their corporate website.
It's terrible that they won't accept returns on open products and I won't be buying anything but consumables from them until they change the policy. But the change has been on their website for a while now. https://www.walmart.ca/en/help/returns# ... turnPolicy We will not accept returns on any opened products or any item without a receipt if purchased after March 20.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15083 posts
12421 upvotes
Richmond Hill
For those of you having issues with returns. Who is denying? The associate at the CS desk or management?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1570 posts
3390 upvotes
Also, for those that take advantage of Walmart clearance deals, doesn't matter what the clearance item is or even if its BNIB, no more returns on clearance items (except for private brand) as per their new return policy.

So those, including myself that take advantage of those store specific clearance deals seen on stocktrack, those items are technically final sale.

There's no point in buying any kind of expensive items right now from Walmart unless it's a extremely discounted clearance item. Best thing to do is price match at a competitor if the item is on sale at Walmart.

It would suck to buy a big item like a TV at Walmart, and after trying it out you discover it's defective or your not satisfied with the TV. Sorry final sale after you open it lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27430 posts
7754 upvotes
Walmart's still playing this scam game eh? Guess they're going to ride this until Christmas, where they probably won't be able to maintain is as no one will buy. Scumbags.
EP32k2 wrote: For those of you having issues with returns. Who is denying? The associate at the CS desk or management?
CS desk has basically been closed all the recent times I've been there.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15083 posts
12421 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ES_Revenge wrote: Walmart's still playing this scam game eh? Guess they're going to ride this until Christmas, where they probably won't be able to maintain is as no one will buy. Scumbags.

CS desk has basically been closed all the recent times I've been there.
Really? The 2 Walmarts near me always have someone there. I bought a tent and returned it about a week later as my buddy lent me his instead, so the one from wally was brand new (had to buy a huge tent as I'm taking the kid camping for the first time LOL). The lady at the CS desk gave me some spiel about due to covid they cannot accept tents for return. If it was used fine, but I told her it's clearly brand new and meanwhile they had a sign up saying there was updates to the return policy and they can now accept clothing... LOL WTF. Really didn't feel like arguing with her. Best thing to do is just tell them to call the duty manager. One phone call later and the return was approved. So stupid with the inconsistencies as always.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27430 posts
7754 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Really? The 2 Walmarts near me always have someone there. I bought a tent and returned it about a week later as my buddy lent me his instead, so the one from wally was brand new (had to buy a huge tent as I'm taking the kid camping for the first time LOL). The lady at the CS desk gave me some spiel about due to covid they cannot accept tents for return. If it was used fine, but I told her it's clearly brand new and meanwhile they had a sign up saying there was updates to the return policy and they can now accept clothing... LOL WTF. Really didn't feel like arguing with her. Best thing to do is just tell them to call the duty manager. One phone call later and the return was approved. So stupid with the inconsistencies as always.
Yeah well maybe because there is no line I think no one is there, lol. But smart--I mean how can someone return something if you have one one standing at the returns desk? LOL.

I honestly think Walmart is playing a stupid game here because:
1. They no longer hold their "covid monopoly" of being one of the few retailers open due to selling "essentials" (i.e. food/groceries).
2. Majority of other retailers have be accepting returns this whole time. The only other major one I know that isn't accepting returns is Canada Computers and that's not even surprising. Plus I think even CC may have eased their return restrictions by now.
3. Them still playing this game this late...in the game, just makes it obvious they did this just for $$$ and not for any other reason whatsoever.
4. This may leave a bad taste in the mouths of many a consumer.
5. As depressing as it is for me to think about another winter in my life, Christmas shopping season will come in a few months and a heck of a lot of people will not want to be buying things at a place without a returns policy. Plus all those that experienced #4 will likely not want to do their shopping there nonetheless.

I think the thing that gives them the most confidence in keeping up this charade is that monopoly they had going when many competitors were forced to close. Now that it's over I guess short-term greed is blinding their long term profits. :shrug:
Feb 3, 2019
136 posts
86 upvotes
GTA
Walmart is now accepting returns for open items with a receipt
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2429 posts
8360 upvotes
pialshgiml87 wrote: Walmart is now accepting returns for open items with a receipt
Yeah, I noticed that the other day on the website. It no longer says opened items.

Yes. As the COVID-19 situation continues to change, we’re taking action to better serve you and our associates. We’ve temporarily updated our Return Policy, effective immediately.

Any item purchased before March 14 is eligible for a 30-day extension in addition to our regular return window.

Bulk returns will not be accepted (i.e. more than three of the same item).

Select items will now be considered final sale if purchased after March 20, including wearables, ear/headphones, mattresses, and sleeping bags.

Please read the temporary return policy updates that are also in effect for Third Party items purchased on Walmart.ca.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16566 posts
2284 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: For those of you having issues with returns. Who is denying? The associate at the CS desk or management?
CS at desk - management is often "not here" or "off today".
pialshgiml87 wrote: Walmart is now accepting returns for open items with a receipt
Walmart in Richmond Hill still has signs stating open items are not accepted. For now, I'm avoiding Walmart for larger purchases. Had trouble in June returning a new toy back to Walmart - CS argued I removed it from the brown Walmart.ca shipping box and therefore the item was opened. I was like WTF ...
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15083 posts
12421 upvotes
Richmond Hill
coolspot wrote: CS at desk - management is often "not here" or "off today".

Walmart in Richmond Hill still has signs stating open items are not accepted. For now, I'm avoiding Walmart for larger purchases. Had trouble in June returning a new toy back to Walmart - CS argued I removed it from the brown Walmart.ca shipping box and therefore the item was opened. I was like WTF ...
Yeah I could see CS making stuff up. There is always a Duty Manager and Store Managers are usually there during the week from 7am - 4pm and the odd Saturday at the same time. They rarely ever do evening shifts.
Aug 7, 2019
777 posts
265 upvotes
I just noticed that the clause for no returns on opened items is no longer there. Has anyone tried?
Sep 12, 2018
162 posts
88 upvotes
Edmonton
Two questions.
1. Can I return chairs?
2. Can I return items to a separate Walmart from the one you bought from (I have the receipts)?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2429 posts
8360 upvotes
IshfaqueR4678 wrote: Two questions.
1. Can I return chairs?
2. Can I return items to a separate Walmart from the one you bought from (I have the receipts)?

Yes, you can return to a different Walmart.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2649 posts
198 upvotes
Mississauga
Are they accepting returns on gift cards for sealed items without a receipt?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2506 posts
2140 upvotes
GTA
Haris wrote: Are they accepting returns on gift cards for sealed items without a receipt?
Nope.

We’re not accepting returns for any of the following items and any of these items purchased after June 1, 2020 will be final sale:
-Headphones & earphones
-Air mattresses & sleeping bags
-Items without a receipt