Shopping Discussion

NEW Walmart Canada return policy (temporary)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 1:47 pm
Feb 3, 2019
134 posts
86 upvotes
GTA
komal wrote: So if you open an electronics item, you can't return it, even with a receipt?
Correct. I recently bought some wireless chargers and as the associate was handing my bag, she said "Hope they work!".....
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2869 posts
366 upvotes
pialshgiml87 wrote: Correct. I recently bought some wireless chargers and as the associate was handing my bag, she said "Hope they work!".....
Thanks.

That's quite a change with little to no notice.

I just bought a new mesh router but I will probably just return it and avoid the risk of ending up with something that doesn't perform.
Jun 12, 2020
1 posts
3 upvotes
Long-time lurker but first-time poster here.

LOL at the patently erroneous legal assertions at the begining of this thread; I hope people (reading this thread) will not give an iota of credence to people surmising as to what a breach of contract entails. Face With Tears Of Joy Simply put: Walmart --- or any other retailer --- operating in the Canadian jurisdiction CAN NOT arbritarily rescind (or modify) their policy after a transaction has been completed absent rare and exigent circumstances (i.e. fraud, etc) even if they espouse wording that sounds legal-ish (e.g. "we reserve the right to change our policy without notice" Face With Rolling Eyes). Of course, their lawyers are accutely aware of this.... but they are also cognizant that most consumers will not aggresively pursue this or attempt to seek a remedy pursuant to provisions of the Consumer Protection Act and other legislative tools.

In any event, there has been some signifiant amendments to Walmart Canada's Return Policy (this is not yet reflected on their website -- I have enclosed photos below).

Few quick take-aways from the recent changes:

- Some items pretaining to intimate usage will likely never be subject to refunds / exchanges;

- Walmart will allow the return of most items;

- Returns without a reciept will no longer be allowed; and

- Opened items will no longer be subject to returns / exchanges (I wonder how will customers rectify or seek resolution for items that are damaged / not working to begin with? Thinking Face My guess would be they would direct the customer to the product's manufacturer.🤦‍♂️).

At the end of the day, this is all a very troubling trend. Most brick & morter retailers have ceased with accepting returns without a reciept, returns of opened box items, etc. (a la such as Best Buy and many other retailers). I suspect these merchants assume a lotta buyers "try out" the items, return it and then order it from Amazon, etc. at a cheaper rate.Confused Face
Images
  • 29C9CFFB-1D68-4A9E-84DB-2759727C1B21.jpeg
  • EA11CD66-DE07-4878-83A7-324171B71CBF.jpeg
Feb 3, 2019
134 posts
86 upvotes
GTA
CorporateRaider wrote: In any event, there has been some signifiant amendments to Walmart Canada's Return Policy (this is not yet reflected on their website -- I have enclosed photos below).

Few quick take-aways from the recent changes:

- Some items pretaining to intimate usage will likely never be subject to refunds / exchanges;

- Walmart will allow the return of most items;

- Returns without a reciept will no longer be allowed; and

- Opened items will no longer be subject to returns / exchanges (I wonder how will customers rectify or seek resolution for items that are damaged / not working to begin with? Thinking Face My guess would be they would direct the customer to the product's manufacturer.🤦‍♂️).

At the end of the day, this is all a very troubling trend. Most brick & morter retailers have ceased with accepting returns without a reciept, returns of opened box items, etc. (a la such as Best Buy and many other retailers). I suspect these merchants assume a lotta buyers "try out" the items, return it and then order it from Amazon, etc. at a cheaper rate.Confused Face
I was in Walmart today and noticed their updated return policy from what was initially posted when COVID started happening. They are taking back clothing/shoe items but everything in the "final sale" column remains the same. Looks like this will be the new policy going forward
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2395 posts
8071 upvotes
pialshgiml87 wrote: I was in Walmart today and noticed their updated return policy from what was initially posted when COVID started happening. They are taking back clothing/shoe items but everything in the "final sale" column remains the same. Looks like this will be the new policy going forward
I guess according to their policy "Select items will now be considered final sale if purchased after March 20, including wearables, ear/headphones, mattresses, and sleeping bags." shoes and clothes will be final sale.
Feb 3, 2019
134 posts
86 upvotes
GTA
hill15 wrote:
I guess according to their policy "Select items will now be considered final sale if purchased after March 20, including wearables, ear/headphones, mattresses, and sleeping bags." shoes and clothes will be final sale.
Clothes and shoes are no longer final sale. See CorporateRaiders post/pictures. Only wearables that are final sale is underwear and swimwear.

Every person in front of me at customer service was returning clothing or shoes.
Images
  • 0F6B9355-22F4-4A8A-9B18-D3C9C75E70AF.jpeg
May 31, 2008
979 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
i was able to successful return a clipper (unopened).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5178 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
My parents had a mini food processor that was not working that they had purchased in March 2019. They took it back (with the receipt) and gave them a full refund without any issues.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5369 posts
519 upvotes
kindred_99 wrote: My parents had a mini food processor that was not working that they had purchased in March 2019. They took it back (with the receipt) and gave them a full refund without any issues.
1 year + 3 months later?
Apr 1, 2015
794 posts
448 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
Got an email from Walmart this Friday. The return I requested in May was finally approved and they would have Canpac pick up the item. It seems things are starting to return to normal.
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5178 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
Arrow wrote: 1 year + 3 months later?
I was surprised too. They just wanted to exchange it as the thing stopped working. I told them I doubted they would do it but they did. They weren't given the choice to exchange, just refund and go buy another one.
Mar 26, 2008
63 posts
59 upvotes
komal wrote: So if you open an electronics item, you can't return it, even with a receipt?
Yup that’s how it reads
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
I was so shocked, purchased a Ninja electric inside grill yesterday, I opened it this morning to find scratches all I’ve it. I went to return or exchange it this morning. The employee pointed to a small print on the desk stating no return of open items. I’m like what??? You should have told me that at the time of purchase.
This is crazy!! I have wait how long now and am out pocket $280.
Shame on Walmart! I didn’t even take the item out of the box.
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
I called Head office because I really wanted to use the grill for Canada Day. I explained the situation, the coating on the grill was scratched off. They told me to go back to the store and asked to speak to a manager.
I did and I was told that they can’t take it back because they are following Health Canada Directives.
Really Sad!! It makes no sense. No grill for me on Canada Day. Awful WALMART. I can understand if it was another product but it’s a grill. I’m sure they can’t resell it so why can’t they take it back. Other places are taking returns. PetSmart is. SHAME ON Walmart!!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14927 posts
15824 upvotes
Oakville
Cassie16 wrote: I called Head office because I really wanted to use the grill for Canada Day. I explained the situation, the coating on the grill was scratched off. They told me to go back to the store and asked to speak to a manager.
I did and I was told that they can’t take it back because they are following Health Canada Directives.
Really Sad!! It makes no sense. No grill for me on Canada Day. Awful WALMART. I can understand if it was another product but it’s a grill. I’m sure they can’t resell it so why can’t they take it back. Other places are taking returns. PetSmart is. SHAME ON Walmart!!
Try a different store or get walmart HQ instructions in writing and present it to manager.
Otherwise CC charge back.