Shopping Discussion

NEW Walmart Canada return policy (temporary)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 1:47 pm
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
How come The Ministry of Health directives is differ for Walmart? PetSmart are allowed to take back returns, Home Depot are allowed to take back returns so why can’t Walmart take back this small inside electric grill that wasn’t taken out of the box? It was just purchased yesterday. How long do I have to wait to get back my $270? Had I known, I never would’ve purchased it.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2180 posts
466 upvotes
Red Deer
Cassie16 wrote: How come The Ministry of Health directives is differ for Walmart? PetSmart are allowed to take back returns, Home Depot are allowed to take back returns so why can’t Walmart take back this small inside electric grill that wasn’t taken out of the box? It was just purchased yesterday. How long do I have to wait to get back my $270? Had I known, I never would’ve purchased it.
No one knows for sure but I suspect some retailers have taken the opportunity presented by a pandemic to slip in predatory policies that benefit their bottom line. If anything, this whole period has really shined a light on which retailers are good and which aren't. For me I've been reminded over the last few months why a Costco membership has paid for itself in so many ways, their online and warehouse shopping experience has been phenomenal. My family will try to get as much of our shopping needs done there. I feel WM falls on the other end of that spectrum for a number of shoppers, yourself included.
Last edited by Rob76 on Jun 29th, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14969 posts
15894 upvotes
Oakville
Cassie16 wrote: How come The Ministry of Health directives is differ for Walmart? PetSmart are allowed to take back returns, Home Depot are allowed to take back returns so why can’t Walmart take back this small inside electric grill that wasn’t taken out of the box? It was just purchased yesterday. How long do I have to wait to get back my $270? Had I known, I never would’ve purchased it.
Companies are free to make their own policy. Your problem is walmart is lying saying it's a gov't rule, and not matching their HQ's policy. Ask them to show you that rule.
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
I’ve learned a lot from this Pandemic.
I guess I will get a membership from Costco and start shopping there.
I really wanted the grill to grill hot dogs and Hamburgers for my kids on Canada Day.
I’m so disappointed.
The manager says it has nothing to do with HQ. They have to follow The Ministry of Health Directives .
I was trying to call back HQ. on hold for too long.
Would chargeback work when I have the product?
I’m afraid of the big BBQ’s and just wanted something small and simple. This really hurts.
$270 in limbo. I guess Walmart is hoping that people will lose their receipt or forget about the returns and they get to keep our money.
What a Shame!!
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
They showed this small print pasted on the counter
That they can’t take back opened item.
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
I think we should file a class action lawsuit against Walmart!! It’s being done in the States. Walmart, I need my $270 back so that I can go buy another grill.
Oct 9, 2011
500 posts
184 upvotes
Planning to buy small home appliance from their online store. Is it true that they are still not taking any return? Both in store and online? Anyone able to return something recently?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3684 posts
3351 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Cassie16 wrote: I think we should file a class action lawsuit against Walmart!! It’s being done in the States. Walmart, I need my $270 back so that I can go buy another grill.
Initiate a chargeback with your CC, Walmart will respond.
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks. I filed a BBB complaint and Walmart didn’t respond. I will initiate a CC. I will update post with result. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sep 5, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
They are not taking back returns if it has been opened.
Once you opened the item, it’s considered final sale.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1504 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Bought a pot and it was busted on first use.. walmart is refusing to take the return because its been opened wtf.
Nov 22, 2018
33 posts
46 upvotes
Brampton, On
I bought a $200 cordless vacuum at WM yesterday. Turned it on and nothing. battery powered stuff always have at least a residual charge. Plugged it in to recharge and got some funky LED flashing lights that equate to an error code. Packed it up and exchanged it for another a few hours later, no problem. Replacement had residual power and charged with the appropriate normal LED charging patterns.
Jul 24, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
I live near Hamilton, Ontario. The Upper James Wal-Mart has refused to take my open box return despite their online policy stating otherwise.

This is also the third attempt to do so, the previous time I was told they would accept them when Hamilton entering stage 3 of the province's covid restrictions, which it now has and I've still been refused.

This is getting out of hand, they're changing their in store policy on the fly and not adhering to the one outlined on their corporate website.