Home & Garden

New water softener has no power - power surge?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2018 8:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1969 posts
987 upvotes

New water softener has no power - power surge?

Yesterday I realized that my Chlor A Soft – Water Softener (which was professionally installed in 2017 and has a "lifetime" warranty ) stopped not working - the screen is blank. I spoke to the company who installed and they are convinced it's due to a power surge (without seeing it). It's already been confirmed it's not the electrical outlet or power bar - it's the unit itself.

My questions: is it possible to know for sure if it was because of a power surge? If there was a power surge, wouldn't other things stop working as well? It's connected to the same power bar as the deep freezer and that's fine. The tech/owner who is coming by tomorrow to take a look is the same one who set it up - I haven't touched since then. Wanted to hear other perspectives on what could have possibly happened before he comes. THanks!
4 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3502 posts
1489 upvotes
hierophant wrote:
Sep 10th, 2018 8:22 am
It's connected to the same power bar as the deep freezer and that's fine. The tech/owner who is coming by tomorrow to take a look is the same one who set it up - I haven't touched since then.
If the deep freeze and softener are plugged into a power bar what's plugged into the other receptacle?
Using an extension cord as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1969 posts
987 upvotes
pootza wrote:
Sep 10th, 2018 9:40 am
If the deep freeze and softener are plugged into a power bar what's plugged into the other receptacle?
Using an extension cord as well?
Nothing else is plugged and yes using a heavy duty extension cord. This was how the tech set it up.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6225 posts
883 upvotes
Side note: The deep freeze should be on it's own dedicated outlet and not sharing one with the softener (or anything else for that matter).

As far as the softener goes yes it could have been a electrical surge. There's no way to tell. It is however more likely that it was just a normal failure of a defective product which should be replaced under warranty. The company that installed it will probably want to sing the power surge song and try and avoid their warranty responsibilities. You can counter with the fact that if it was indeed a surge then other things should have also failed but didn't.

(You should start thinking about surge protection. I have a whole house protector installed on the power panel and individual protection as backup for most electronic devices in the house, including the water softener and the garage door opener.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1969 posts
987 upvotes
To clarify, the softener and deep freezer were plugged into a surge protector- this was setup by tech but unfortunately the circuit still blew on the softener. He replaced at no cost and I plugged the deep freezer into another (empty) outlet using a heavy duty extension cord.