• May 11th, 2020 11:39 pm
Tags:
58 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought all airlines are supposed to do that now.
I believe I read that any international flights coming to Canada, the airline had to test passengers before allowing them on the aircraft.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15864 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: I thought all airlines are supposed to do that now.
I believe I read that any international flights coming to Canada, the airline had to test passengers before allowing them on the aircraft.
Would like to know more ...
Source ?

AFAIK I thought it was still Temp Checks prior to flights
(The news story linked above is talking about Blood Tests )

And then a MANDATORY 14 DAY QUARANTINE PERIOD
Once the Traveller was in Canada
(Do not pass Go, don’t stop anywhere ... GO RIGHT HOME to Quarantine situation )

And I also thought ... although I may be wrong

That Canada was only taking INTERNATIONAL flights with returning Cdns on them
Or those deemed cleared for ESSENTIAL TRAVEL IF NOT CDN
Of which there would not be many
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Would like to know more ...
Source ?

AFAIK I thought it was still Temp Checks prior to flights
(The news story linked above is talking about Blood Tests )

And then a MANDATORY 14 DAY QUARANTINE PERIOD
Once the Traveller was in Canada
(Do not pass Go, don’t stop anywhere ... GO RIGHT HOME to Quarantine situation )

And I also thought ... although I may be wrong

That Canada was only taking INTERNATIONAL flights with returning Cdns on them
Or those deemed cleared for ESSENTIAL TRAVEL IF NOT CDN
Of which there would not be many
Blood tests for what? They can tell if they have COVID in 10 minutes? If so, the rest of the world would like that technology.

Airlines bringing passengers into Canada are supposed to screen passengers.
"We will continue to operate domestic and international flights with a reduced schedule. Find below a full list of operating routes until May 31, 2020. The schedule is subject to change, as we continue to monitor demand and government restrictions on travel."
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ravel.html

"Air Canada rigorously follows the guidance of all relevant health authorities and follows best demonstrated practices in the prevention and handling of communicable diseases in the air travel industry"
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... sures.html
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15864 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote: Blood tests for what? They can tell if they have COVID in 10 minutes? If so, the rest of the world would like that technology.

Airlines bringing passengers into Canada are supposed to screen passengers.
"We will continue to operate domestic and international flights with a reduced schedule. Find below a full list of operating routes until May 31, 2020. The schedule is subject to change, as we continue to monitor demand and government restrictions on travel."
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... ravel.html

"Air Canada rigorously follows the guidance of all relevant health authorities and follows best demonstrated practices in the prevention and handling of communicable diseases in the air travel industry"
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... sures.html
Hey man ... I just asked, cuz you seemed to agree with the OP

I then went on to also post what I knew to be Canada’s situation

Same stuff you provided here

FYI ... the OPs linked article clearly said:

Passengers on Wednesday’s flight to Tunisia underwent a blood test before departing Dubai, according to the statement sent by the airline. Results were available within 10 minutes.

The Gulf carrier said it was the first to conduct the rapid blood tests. It plans to extend the procedure to other flights, according to Chief Operating Officer Adel Al Redha. The move will provide immediate confirmation for passengers traveling to countries that require Covid-19 test certificates, he said.
And you said:
BTW... the fastest Covid Test I have heard of thus far is a Cdn made one
Think it’s turn around is under 30 minutes

See if I can find the link

FOUND IT = https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/s ... -1.5530669
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 15th, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 30, 2015
768 posts
707 upvotes
No they arent required to. In fact they dont test pax before a flight.

They make sure you dont have any symptoms(cough, fever, etc.) related to Covid 19 or that would suspect you are sick prior to boarding then you're good to go. Emirates is doing blood tests which is a whole new level.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6134 posts
1156 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Hey man ... I just asked, cuz you seemed to agree with the OP

I then went on to also post what I knew to be Canada’s situation

Same stuff you provided here

FYI ... the OPs linked article clearly said:

And you said:

BTW... the fastest Covid Test I have heard of thus far is a Cdn made one
Think it’s turn around is under 30 minutes

See if I can find the link

There's an Abbot test that does it in 15 mins maybe approved tests elsewhere that haven't been approved yet here
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
PointsHubby wrote: Hey man ... I just asked, cuz you seemed to agree with the OP

I then ......
Geez, mellow out...
That is not a blood test . "it can deliver on-location results in under 60 minutes, with an upgrade expected within weeks to reduce that time to 30 minutes.", not a 10 minute blood test.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1378 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
No way I'm willing to undergo blood tests everytime I fly.

A temperature check is also ridiculous. What if you have a non-COVID, non-contagious fever?

Will this be a way for airlines to increase their bottom line by making these tests mandatory?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1378 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
No way I'm willing to undergo blood tests everytime I fly.

A temperature check is also ridiculous. What if you have a non-COVID, non-contagious fever?

Will this be a way for airlines to increase their bottom line by making these tests mandatory?
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25388 posts
4507 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Geez, mellow out...
That is not a blood test . "it can deliver on-location results in under 60 minutes, with an upgrade expected within weeks to reduce that time to 30 minutes.", not a 10 minute blood test.
The OP's article very clearly says there is a blood test for COVID-19 and the results are returned in 10 minutes.

From my understanding, it's not a blood test like you would get at a lab. This is a prick of the finger by a sterile needle, like a diabetic would get to test blood sugar, except this tests for COVID-19.
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
I much rather take the test before a flight, I have flights coming up.
Koodo/Public Mobile
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote: The OP's article very clearly says there is a blood test for COVID-19 and the results are returned in 10 minutes.

From my understanding, it's not a blood test like you would get at a lab. This is a prick of the finger by a sterile needle, like a diabetic would get to test blood sugar, except this tests for COVID-19.
My point exactly.
My comment was to the link PointsHubby posted about a test that takes 60 minutes.
Regardless how the blood test is done, the one the OP linked it is a 10 minute test and as I said in my original post, the rest of the world would like to have and use that technology. If it is actually valid and available, I wonder why it is not being used everywhere not just prior to Emirates flights.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17809 posts
1374 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I guess Emirates is subsidizing the cost of the tests, they probably have much more cash on hand than other airlines...

Anyways if this sort of thing is extended to Western airlines what's the impact to flight prices? +50%? More, less?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6134 posts
1156 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: I guess Emirates is subsidizing the cost of the tests, they probably have much more cash on hand than other airlines...

Anyways if this sort of thing is extended to Western airlines what's the impact to flight prices? +50%? More, less?
at the point in time I would imagine an on the spot test would be reasonably cheap due to massive volumes of them
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2958 upvotes
keenland
Pete_Coach wrote: My point exactly.
My comment was to the link PointsHubby posted about a test that takes 60 minutes.
Regardless how the blood test is done, the one the OP linked it is a 10 minute test and as I said in my original post, the rest of the world would like to have and use that technology. If it is actually valid and available, I wonder why it is not being used everywhere not just prior to Emirates flights.

lots of different tests being marketed around the world ..politics are involved too...US had a similar 5 min test almost ready about 12 days ago but the FDA pulled approval because of either the accuracy (91%) or the origin (China manufacturer)...now Abbot has stepped up
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
cardguy wrote: lots of different tests being marketed around the world ..politics are involved too...US had a similar 5 min test almost ready about 12 days ago but the FDA pulled approval because of either the accuracy (91%) or the origin (China manufacturer)...now Abbot has stepped up
Yup, that was all I was saying....if it is good, then the rest of the world should or could or would like to use it.
As for accuracy, well, there is concern about the existing tests. The swab tests take a long time to analyze and they say are only 70% accurate. https://theconversation.com/coronavirus ... sts-135972
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1378 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: The OP's article very clearly says there is a blood test for COVID-19 and the results are returned in 10 minutes.

I still don't think it's a good idea with now potentially blood smearing fellow passengers to deal with.

And would something think of the children having to get jabbed.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25388 posts
4507 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: I still don't think it's a good idea with now potentially blood smearing fellow passengers to deal with.

Yeah I don't see any chance of this becoming the new of flying. Could some kind of breath test that can detect COVID-19 be mandatory before boarding? That's more likely, but still very doubtful. This virus will either become a seasonal illness just like the regular flu is and many of us will develop at least some immunity to it, or it will go away forever (eventually). Either way, I don't see any COVID-19 tests being mandatory before we can get on a plane.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2958 upvotes
keenland
lpin14 wrote: I still don't think it's a good idea with now potentially blood smearing fellow passengers to deal with.

being an insulin injecting diabetic myself....the A1C strip tests (for diabetics), that test blood are nowhere akin to "blood smearing" ..if that is the extent of the test, then let me at it and get back to normal...like anything with borders and flying...if you dont want to comply , then dont do it