• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2022 12:33 am
[OP]
Apr 2, 2012
11 posts
4 upvotes
Kamloops

new WD hard drives from Costco are "out of warranty" from manufacturer

I noticed that the new Western Digital 8TB hard drive I purchased from a Costco warehouse has a warranty status of "out of warranty" when I enter its serial number on the manufacturer's own webpage for checking product warranty. The description on WD's site says "MY BOOKÂ 8TB COSTCO CANADA, BULK PACK".

WD has an option for updating the warranty by uploading a proof of purchase. I uploaded the Costco receipt but as of now, about a week later, there is no update and no response from WD. It still says "out of warranty" for this drive.

It's not just one drive either. I went to Costco and checked some more 8TB and 4TB drives for sale at the warehouse. All the serial numbers come back as "out of warranty" on WD's website. I have purchased WD drives from Costco before but this is the first time I got no warranty from WD.

Costco has a 90 day return window for electronics, so I'll probably return the drive to Costco unless WD updates the warranty period for me.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16855 posts
5323 upvotes
Markham
Don’t worry you can ask WD to adjust the warranty
You just need to send them the invoice.

Just register your product.
https://support-en.wd.com/app/account/a ... trationweb
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7242 posts
4894 upvotes
SW ON
Did enter Canada as the country of purchase and "retail"? I assume yes. Just checking.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2012
11 posts
4 upvotes
Kamloops
alpovs wrote: Did enter Canada as the country of purchase and "retail"? I assume yes. Just checking.
Yes.

If anyone wants to check my finding at Costco, just look for one of the WD hard drive packages on the shelf, read the serial number on the bottom of the package, and use your smartphone to enter that serial on WD's warranty checker, see if it's out of warranty as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)